talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Referees

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/02/2021 at 07:37, DeadLinesman said:

Imagine thinking it was the technology and cameras that were the problem and not the actual human beings unable to utilise them xD. It’s like blaming a knife for killing someone in surgery instead of the surgeon who was incapable of completing the procedure. Maybe though I’ll be ‘right in the head one day’ or ‘engage my brain’ so I can have the same opinion as others.

We have said this from day one and haven't got mocked. There's a reason why people don't use our views on VAR as a stick to beat us with. 

The concept is fine, it's not ruining the game and anyone who can't see that is quite honestly not right in the head. To be fair most people have now realised its not detrimental to the game and it's the people using it that are the problem. There is still the odd numbnut though that thinks it's a bad thing. They will come round eventually though, it just takes some longer than others to engage.

• Subscriber

Having video replays instead of not having video replays categorically can not have a negative impact on officiating. It's the people using it, it just is. VAR hasn't improved the match day experience or the integrity of decision making but it has at least removed any doubt over the real problems with refereeing in English football - the rules are too complicated, there are too many sub-clauses to each rule attempting to remove grey areas but only introducing more, and the referees in the Premier League need to get better at using the technology. I also think the lack of communication from officials, either by being mic'd up or answering a few questions after the game, would make a huge difference to how people respond to them.

Getting rid of VAR now simply isn't going to happen and wouldn't help. All you'd get is people crying even louder than they currently do about decisions that don't get overturned which should and would have been with the advantage of video replays.

6 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Imagine thinking it was the technology and cameras that were the problem and not the actual human beings unable to utilise them xD. It’s like blaming a knife for killing someone in surgery instead of the surgeon who was incapable of completing the procedure. Maybe though I’ll be ‘right in the head one day’ or ‘engage my brain’ so I can have the same opinion as others.

The thing is mate, VAR, the cameras, the technology as you mentioned, will always be operated by humans. Therefore, it will never work. 

The sooner the few people who actually like VAR realise that the better. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

The thing is mate, VAR, the cameras, the technology as you mentioned, will always be operated by humans. Therefore, it will never work. 

The sooner the few people who actually like VAR realise that the better. 

Jesus mate. Do you know how far humanity would have come with that thinking? Humans are flawed by nature. It’s upto us to make the best of the equipment that we’re given. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Stan said:

He surely has to be better than Riley?! 

About time Riley was fucked off to be fair in any case. 

The problem with Howard Webb in his later years, like Clattenberg, was that the fame got to his head. Once teams figured out he'd let teams get away with murder in the middle of the pitch but he'd be willing to give decisions in the final third they had an advantage. Southampton in particular under Pochettino and us under Pulis were very good at it.

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The problem with Howard Webb in his later years, like Clattenberg, was that the fame got to his head. Once teams figured out he'd let teams get away with murder in the middle of the pitch but he'd be willing to give decisions in the final third they had an advantage. Southampton in particular under Pochettino and us under Pulis were very good at it.

I think he was still always a better ref than Riley, so I’m okay with him taking Riley’s job.

18 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Webb you say…….

222C31EE-82F9-4CF9-BCA8-FC289A862A50.gif

I’m just happy Riley is leaving.

Shame he’s staying on for a year to help Webb with a transition…

… but I’m still hopeful after that year transitional period that he’ll get what’s coming to him and he’ll get shot into the sun

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t see what there is to investigate. Just sack him and move on

Hope you agree Robertson should face a lengthy ban also for grabbing an official. 

2 hours ago, Storts said:

Hope you agree Robertson should face a lengthy ban also for grabbing an official. 

For doing what most players do talking to a ref? He touched his arm ffs.

If you’re an official you can’t lash out at players even if you’re rightfully annoyed. In any other job you’d get sacked.

But sure ban, him he’s been shit - no skin our backs. But sack the linesman and don’t ever give us that cunt Tierny as a ref ever again either

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

For doing what most players do talking to a ref? He touched his arm ffs.

If you’re an official you can’t lash out at players even if you’re rightfully annoyed. In any other job you’d get sacked.

But sure ban, him he’s been shit - no skin our backs. But sack the linesman and don’t ever give us that cunt Tierny as a ref ever again either

Marched over to him and grabbed his arm. Definitely provocation so if the linesman is banned for responding, Robertson should face a similar charge. Particularly with the Mitrovic debacle recently. Robertson is without doubt one of the most unsavoury characters in the league though so it’s not really a surprise. 

4 hours ago, Storts said:

Marched over to him and grabbed his arm. Definitely provocation so if the linesman is banned for responding, Robertson should face a similar charge. Particularly with the Mitrovic debacle recently. Robertson is without doubt one of the most unsavoury characters in the league though so it’s not really a surprise. 

Well if you think that Robertson’s lightly grabbing the refs arm to get his attention is worthy of an elbow to the face… bit weird I suppose.

Archived