talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Referees

On 10/01/2021 at 18:38, Danny said:

Problem is people chat shit about referees with zero evidence, my entire life referees have never been as good as they used to be. There is no balanced discussion when it comes to the standard of reffing and put simply the vast majority of people discussing referees have no experience or understanding as to what makes a referee good or bad, the actual cogs working behind a decision.

Really not surprising that Oliver comes out well here, being a referee is a lose-lose situation in this country 

There is actually considerable evidence referees are better. The game is faster but they get more decisions right. The thing is fans dont remember the decisions they get right only the ones they get wrong. And most fans are certain they get more decisions go against them. They cant all be right. If you ever watch ref watch he explains why the referee probably made a certain decision and it is normally a reasonable answer. 

• Subscriber

The refereeing this season has been so bad it's actually a bit embarrassing for English football, but I do think the introduction of VAR has increased the overall scrutiny on referees when you hoped it would do the opposite, and 75% of debates about football now are to do with refereeing decisions, which is just completely tedious and of big detriment to the sport itself.

The refs don't help themselves though. Death threats are obviously an indefensible disgrace but Mike Dean's performances in the last week were beyond a joke and I can only conclude it was done to create drama, such is the nature of the league now.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

Nice info is this system of assigning the refs same in other major leagues ?

Referees are held to a ridiculously high standard so it wouldn't surprise me if the system was similar elsewhere.

UEFA referees are at 'elite' standard so no doubt they're scrutinised higher by their bosses.

Why do we have on-field referees doing VAR duty? Referees have to be fit enough to keep up with play but with the awareness to not get in the way, they have to have the confidence, concentration and presence of mind to make split-second decisions after one viewing, and they have to have the mental fortitude to deal with pressure and abuse from players and (in normal times) partisan crowds.

Unburdened by all of those extra requirements, you could have the fattest, sweatiest nerds in the VAR room, but they'd be people who know the rules inside out and have the intelligence to apply them in full.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Good question.

It's difficult enough trying to get a VAR official to override a ref and it's even harder to get the ref who missed the call in the first place to admit he was wrong.

That's the other thing, if you have a completely separate group of people doing the VAR thing, you can have one outrank the other and make it clear. Either way round is preferable to the current situation

And mic them up ffs. I know we're worried about players swearing, but there's no reason you can't mic up the VAR room and then switch the referee's mic on when he goes to look at the screen

Edited by Burning Gold

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

And mic them up ffs. I know we're worried about players swearing, but there's no reason you can't mic up the VAR room and then switch the referee's mic on when he goes to look at the screen

This pisses me off no end. And even more so that commentators can hear and give the decision before the referee signals. They really have to understand and have more awareness that fans at home don't get this privilege to listen in like they do. Every single commentator gets sucked in to the moment and forgets us peasants at home don't get to hear everything they do. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

This pisses me off no end. And even more so that commentators can hear and give the decision before the referee signals. They really have to understand and have more awareness that fans at home don't get this privilege to listen in like they do. Every single commentator gets sucked in to the moment and forgets us peasants at home don't get to hear everything they do. 

Yeah, agree. Either have the commentator announce it every time, or don't. It's very annoying not knowing whether I'm going to find out by the commentator telling me, by a graphic on screen, or simply by the game kicking off again. And often when I found out by the game kicking off again they're still showing replays when that happens anyway

The pandemic was a massive PR opportunity for VAR. The experience at the ground is never going to be as good, but if they could nail the at-home experience they could've won over a lot of fans by the time everyone returns to stadiums so you know things are being handled with competence while you wait to hear the decision. Instead, they've continued to cock it up and left the majority of people with absolutely no confidence that it's being done properly

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

You can guarantee that the refs will fight mic wearing tooth and nail. 

They are in this little alternative universe where they can say or do as they like and are never held accountable for f'd up calls.

I'd Mic em up and Id get them to explain their decisions in post match interviews the way players and managers do all the time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

You can guarantee that the refs will fight mic wearing tooth and nail. 

They are in this little alternative universe where they can say or do as they like and are never held accountable for f'd up calls.

I'd Mic em up and Id get them to explain their decisions in post match interviews the way players and managers do all the time.

Games wouldn't be able to be rigged if that happened though mate. 

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Games wouldn't be able to be rigged if that happened though mate. 

It's crazy, I can't think of any other job where you can fuck up over and over, fine or suspend anyone who complains about the shit job you are doing, be totally unaccountable, offer zero explanation.

And still keep your job.:what:

17 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

It's crazy, I can't think of any other job where you can fuck up over and over, fine or suspend anyone who complains about the shit job you are doing, be totally unaccountable, offer zero explanation.

And still keep your job.:what:

Keeping your job as opposed to being out of a job because some people in their subjective opinion think you've made a mistake. Sounds about right.

Edited by Machado

59 minutes ago, Machado said:

Keeping your job as opposed to being out of a job because some people in their subjective opinion think you've made a mistake. Sounds about right.

But doing a poor job week in week out and never being held accountable doesn't sound about right, at least not to me.

Maybe there are other jobs out there where you can screw up and never have to take any criticism?

I can't think of one myself though.

• Administrator

If referees were sacked after each poor performance we'd be left with no referees at all eventually. 

The issue is perhaps their training, and more so how things are managed at PGMOL. Said for a while things need to change from the top there before we end up seeing any vast improvement in referee standards here... 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

But doing a poor job week in week out and never being held accountable doesn't sound about right, at least not to me.

Maybe there are other jobs out there where you can screw up and never have to take any criticism?

I can't think of one myself though.

They do get criticised. A lot. By fans, clubs, players, press. They must surely know. Maybe they get criticised by their bosses behind closed doors, we don't know, they're not going to do it in the open.

A referee must be one of the worst jobs you can have when it comes to criticism. To stay sane and look after your mental health in that environment you have to be of a certain character. To pick yourself up and go back out there when you know you can make a mistake regardless of how much preparation or training you have.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

They do get criticised. A lot. By fans, clubs, players, press. They must surely know. Maybe they get criticised by their bosses behind closed doors, we don't know, they're not going to do it in the open.

Of course they get criticized by ex players, media and especially fans.

The point being made is that active players or managers cannot criticise them without getting censured, even if they are proved to be 100% correct.

Refs today with VAR assistance should not be missing so many calls week in week out.

8 hours ago, Stan said:

If referees were sacked after each poor performance we'd be left with no referees at all eventually. 

The issue is perhaps their training, and more so how things are managed at PGMOL. Said for a while things need to change from the top there before we end up seeing any vast improvement in referee standards here... 

Shit rolls downhill. Mike Riley was a terrible ref, at best, and at worst he was a bent referee. If he’s in charge of all the refs in England, it’s pretty easy to see why all the referees in the country are dogshite.