• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

If you could meet any famous person...

football forum

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Currently alive, I assume? Tough question, as I don't really have any interest in meeting celebrities, but also because most of the people I would have maybe liked to meet are already dead anyway.

Just a few that come to mind, and they are probably not "famous" to most others.

Gene Kranz - flight director of Gemini and Apollo programs. That era of spaceflight fascinates me, and I would love to hear the stories and opinions of the man who was at the center of NASA mission operations and control at the time. 

Kip Thorne - one of the most influential theoretical physicists currently alive. A conversation (albeit one-sided) on gravitational waves, LIGO development, black holes, wormholes, time travel - what's not to like?

Toto Wolff - one of the most intelligent people in motorsports with an interesting backstory as well as philosophy and outlook on life. 

• Administrator

Claudio Ranieri - even just 10 minutes with him getting an insight in to that 2015/16 season would be great.

Brian Cox - I'd ask him how he goes from 1-hit wonder in a boyband to 1 of the most intelligent people on the planet when it comes to planets...

Lynn Gunn - I'd just sit. (and maybe listen to her). 

Varied selection, I know xD

Greta thunberg. 

I'd love to have a conversation with her. Her passion is incredible. It's hard to think of many people I admire more to be honest 

@Stan funnily enough I was watching some videos of Brian cox last  night. There is a reason only the most intelligent people in the world can undertand physics  🤣

Its funny actually he is always smiling and so calm. But there is this video where he and some climate experts are having a discussion with this Australian senator (I think) who is a climate change denier and he throws some charts at him when he says there is no evidence 

Ethan Hawke for me.

Not just a great actor, but also very wise, deep and articulate man. There are some lengthy videos on youtube where he's interviewed about life, work and all kinds of stuff, and he always seems like that insightful mentor/guru kind of guy. Like here.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Stan funnily enough I was watching some videos of Brian cox last  night. There is a reason only the most intelligent people in the world can undertand physics  🤣

Its funny actually he is always smiling and so calm. But there is this video where he and some climate experts are having a discussion with this Australian senator (I think) who is a climate change denier and he throws some charts at him when he says there is no evidence 

I love his calm manner and tone of speaking. He makes the most complicated things sound so simple because of it.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

There is a reason only the most intelligent people in the world can undertand physics  🤣

Physics is basically just describing and explaining the real world using mathematical models. "Regular" people with average intelligence have much greater capacity to learn than they imagine. Not everyone is a genius, not everyone can become a leading expert, come up with groundbreaking ideas and discoveries or win the Nobel Prize, that's true - but good general understanding of fundamental concepts can be achieved by pretty much any ordinary person if they put enough time and effort into it. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

I love his calm manner and tone of speaking. He makes the most complicated things sound so simple because of it.

Yeah physics is the most hardest degree to do apparently. You have to be exceptionally intelligent to get a bachelors degree in it. Once you get to PhD level you are talking about geniuses. I wouldn't say I understand what he means but he definitely makes it easier to understand 

52 minutes ago, nudge said:

Physics is basically just describing and explaining the real world using mathematical models. "Regular" people with average intelligence have much greater capacity to learn than they imagine. Not everyone is a genius, not everyone can become a leading expert, come up with groundbreaking ideas and discoveries or win the Nobel Prize, that's true - but good general understanding of fundamental concepts can be achieved by pretty much any ordinary person if they put enough time and effort into it. 

Lol one thing I've noticed about really intelligent people is they don't seem to realise how intelligent they are. I think you may be underestimating your own intelligence there a bit. 

There was actually a quote from someone who said"being a genius is understanding how little you know" or something along those lines. 

I do agree that if you put enough time and effort into something you can undertand more than you think. There are things I undertand that I thought I never would.  But sometimes it takes some more time than others. 

However it can come down to your learning style as well. I can be shown something ten times and not get it. But I could do it twice and get it. I'm just not a very observational learner I need to do something to get it

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Lol one thing I've noticed about really intelligent people is they don't seem to realise how intelligent they are. I think you may be underestimating your own intelligence there a bit. 

There was actually a quote from someone who said"being a genius is understanding how little you know" or something along those lines. 

I do agree that if you put enough time and effort into something you can undertand more than you think. There are things I undertand that I thought I never would.  But sometimes it takes some more time than others. 

However it can come down to your learning style as well. I can be shown something ten times and not get it. But I could do it twice and get it. I'm just not a very observational learner I need to do something to get it

Knowledge of something and intelligence is different though. But I never did physics at school because I wanted to sail through with no effort. Wish I tried harder! 

8 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Same. It would be an honour to meet a football forum mod. I would ask for his picture and an autograph. There's no higher honour. Elon Musk is going to be the richest man in the world, Lionel Messi and Lebron James are the best in the world in their sports, The Weeknd is world renowed. Stan is an administrator on a football forum! That beats all of them.

A more serious answer. I've met Paolo Guerrero who was probably the peak I could reach for what I follow, but there's a few others I would enjoy.

1. Tim Cahill

2. Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors player, NBA)

3. Romeo Santos (The king of Bachata music)

4. Lee Chong Wei (The 2nd best Badminton player of all time, who never got to win gold at the olympics. Always finished 2nd)

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Knowledge of something and intelligence is different though. But I never did physics at school because I wanted to sail through with no effort. Wish I tried harder! 

Wait, you could choose whether you wanted to do physics at school or not? Like, you never did it at all? In my school it was a mandatory part of curriculum from Year 5 to Year 10, and after that you could only choose whether to have it at a regular or advanced level for the next two years... Same with chemistry and biology. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Wait, you could choose whether you wanted to do physics at school or not? Like, you never did it at all? In my school it was a mandatory part of curriculum from Year 5 to Year 10, and after that you could only choose whether to have it at a regular or advanced level for the next two years... Same with chemistry and biology. 

Same, I thought all sciences were mandatory, and you could perhaps make a choice on what sciences you wanted to continue with (if any at all) after GCSEs/year 11. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Very basic physics is in our general Science curriculum from about the same year range as yours, but yeah I meant Physics as a subject -  it is a choice in the final years of school. My bad!

Sorry for the confusion I was talking as a stand alone subject. Must be the teacher brain. I don’t recall learning much outside of Newton.... 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Very basic physics is in our general Science curriculum from about the same year range as yours, but yeah I meant Physics as a subject -  it is a choice in the final years of school. My bad!

Ah, I see, so you have a general Science curriculum where you learn the basics of all disciplines, whereas we have each natural science as a standalone subject from early on.

Pope Francis - As a catholic, it would be a huge honor to meet the Pope.

Kim Jong-un - I'm definitely curious about how he lives and how life in Pyongyang is.

Marcelo Bielsa - I'd love to talk football with El Loco

Mario Vargas Llosa - One of the best writers alive. And maybe he could give me some tips to improve my writing. 😅

43 minutes ago, nudge said:

Never took you for a religious person! 

I am. Mainly due to my mom´s influence. She is a very religious person. And I also studied at a catholic school. 

For some time, especially when I was a teenager, I distanced myself from the faith, but later on I reconciled with it.  :)

Archived