talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Neil Lennon Resigns as Celtic Manager

football forum

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A while ago, all that was required was someone who is remotely serious about football. Any moderately professional manager would have identified what Rodgers had implemented and would have at least had the nous to mostly keep the same methods ticking over and maybe tweak a few things here and there. 

Instead the board decided not to tender out the job opportunity or explore any alternative candidates, and made a shower-room job offer to the cheapo, sentimental option -  a fucking useless alky clown who just wants a cushty job he can milk for all it's worth while he has a laugh with his mates.

Now, the job is quite a bit tougher for the next guy. Even within his relatively brief tenure he has managed to do quite a startling amount of damage - none of the expensive signings bedded-in, all tactical cohesion and identity gone, all shreds of intensity and professionalism torched.

23 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Benitez strongly linked now.

Whoever Celtic get, they need to make a move with significant time before summer. If Rafa isn't available until summer, they'll have to look for another candidate. 

Too much work and overall squad turnover is required to leave it to then and the Champions League qualifiers, that'll be even tougher for Celtic this time round.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Lampard strongly linked now. 

I wonder how much of that is just people wanting the Gerrard v Lampard rivalry to continue with the Old Firm rather than him actually being a serious contender for the job?

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I wonder how much of that is just people wanting the Gerrard v Lampard rivalry to continue with the Old Firm rather than him actually being a serious contender for the job?

It would be interesting if it did happen but I feel the Celtic board would want an experienced manager with form, as I said before, the Hoops board and Celtic supporters would want instant success otherwise they will look for blood.

I just asked a Hoops die-hard fan and a friend of mine would he have Lampard and he nearly bit my bloody head off!!!! xD

1 hour ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

I genuinely thought Lennon was sacked weeks ago.

People keep saying he has a 10 in a row bonus on his contract, if they sack him just now they need to pay him it since it's still mathematically possible.

Whether that's true or not I don't know. Any club with a brain would have sacked him in November.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Celtic: Neil Lennon 'comfortable' with position amid board review

Celtic manager Neil Lennon says he is "comfortable" with his position at the club amid an ongoing review.

Despite winning four matches in a row, his side are still 18 points behind Scottish Premiership leaders Rangers with a game in hand.

In early December, the board said they would review Lennon's future "in the new year".

"I do agree that performances, the on-field results have been disappointing," the manager said.

"You're never secure as a manager, especially when you've been through difficult times, but I'm quite comfortable with the way my position is at the minute, and until that changes, I'll do my best every day.

"The atmosphere around the place is good, training's bubbly. All the players are playing for each other, and it's quite a close-knit group at the minute."

Celtic announced a £6m loss in their half-year financial report this week, with revenue down by a quarter.

However, Lennon insists the club are in a "robust" position financially pointing to the January sale of Jeremie Frimpong to Bayer Leverkusen.

"Every club around the world has suffered during this pandemic, we're not immune to it, but I think we're still in a healthy position compared to a lot of other clubs," he said.

"This club has always been run well, it's quite prudent and smart in acquiring players and player sales. Every year more or less we've sold a player for a lot of money - we've just sold one for £12m."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56085086

To be honest what's the point of getting rid of him until you've identified his replacement, he's not going to quit but I expect he's fully expecting the sack at the end of the season anyway. 

I don't think Celtic should go down the younger manager route like Rangers because I think that won't get them back in the race straight away they need to get a manager who has a track record of getting instant success out of players and build from there. I don't believe you can go from winning the league so comfortable one season to struggling so badly the next if there isn't some sort of issue with either the coach or the attitude of the players. 

Benetiz would be ideal really but I'm pretty certain he'd command a huge salary, I honestly think someone like Slavan Bilic would be a good fit, he's always done well with clubs and I think he's been really harshly treated whenever he's been sacked. I wouldn't imagine his salary would be an issue either and he'd bring a wealth of experience from his international management and Premier league and Championship stints. 

On 16/02/2021 at 15:58, Devil said:

To be honest what's the point of getting rid of him until you've identified his replacement, he's not going to quit but I expect he's fully expecting the sack at the end of the season anyway. 

Even just to bring some fresh enthusiasm to the club, and revive some of the players again. Wouldn't have to be a long term solution but, if John Kennedy is the highly touted coach that they believe him to be, why not let him be 'interim head coach' until. The end of the season? Or attracting someone like Shaun Maloney back for an interim spell, and letting him continue being Belgium's assistant manager.

I'm sure there'd be plenty of decent unemployed manager's out there that would maybe not want a long term stay in Scotland, but would do six months, have a real good shot at winning a Scottish cup, with the talent that Celtic still have and putting themselves back in the window for an EPL / other higher leagues again come the summer.

On 19/02/2021 at 10:18, ScoRoss said:

if John Kennedy is the highly touted coach that they believe him to be, why not let him be 'interim head coach' until.

I have yet to read/hear any Celtic fan who would want that or indeed actually have any faith in him whatsoever this season.

33 minutes ago, Pugwash said:

I have yet to read/hear any Celtic fan who would want that or indeed actually have any faith in him whatsoever this season.

It was more the club that seems to believe in him and seemed to have made some commitment to him after he turned down the Hibs manager's job last season. 

Hardly a surprise the club let him go with some dignity rather than actually sacking him, lets not kid ourselves that was the agreement though. 

Celtic need a clear out now, go back to basic's, strip the club of the players that don't want to be there and also shift out some of the crap signings made over the last few seasons. If it means Rangers win the next couple of league titles then I think they've got to accept that because they've stolen a march on Celtic at this time and it doesn't look like that is going to slow down. 

Celtic is still a huge draw to players, back to basics, clear the dead wood and get a few new faces/loan signings for next season and rebuild.

• The title was changed to Neil Lennon Resigns as Celtic Manager

Archived