talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Neil Lennon Resigns as Celtic Manager

football forum

20 minutes ago, Danny said:

Rafa would be such a good appointment

He'd be an excellent appointment but after a stint in China I suspect he'd fancy another crack at one of Europe's top leagues again before possible retirement. 

I might be wrong but I suspect that would be the case.  

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic have paid the price of not acting quickly enough, and not having any succession planning. Waiting until now, and not November when it was evident that Lennon would not be at the club next season, will end up costing them more than this season.

Not only do they require to find a new manager/coach in the next few months, they will have a new CEO with no football experience, and probably a Director of Football / Sporting Director in a new structure for the club. And all of this at a time where several of their players are entering the last year of their deals.

Ajer, Ntcham, Christie and Edouard are all probably looking to move on in the summer, but will probably not get the fees they probably would have expected. Not to mention how hard it will be to replace their quality. However, if they can raise £30 million from their sales (along with the £10million plus from Frimpong's sale in January), it should give a good starting point for someone looking to put together their own team.

Celtic have been so focused on 'The Ten' from the moment that Rangers weren't going to be in the Scottish top flight, and even more so from the moment Brendan Rodgers walked into Parkhead. So focused, that they've overlooked any succession plan on the pitch. When the likes of John McGinn were passed on because they wouldn't be in their starting eleven at that time, it made this season possible. And turning down Scott McKenna, a self confessed Celtic fan, and Scotland regular since he was 21, for one season the 'finished product' of Shane Duffy. And letting Aaron Hickey leave Hearts, for not a huge fee, and becoming a regular in Serie A. All because they needed it there and then. For the mythical 'Ten in a row'. 

Arguably, their obsession with the short term has cost them already. So what hope do they have of planning for long term, when they couldn't even get the short term stuff correct?

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Danny said:

More interesting than Eddie Howe??

Certainly. He spent a huge amount of money and reached the heights of 13th in the EPL.

Having actually won a league and cup double, whilst also having experience of managing in the Champions League and Europa League. Far more akin to Celtic than managing Bournemouth would be.

56 minutes ago, Danny said:

More interesting than Eddie Howe??

To me yes. But I cannot think for the life of me why someone would bail on the Red Bull set-up - the cutting edge of club management, getting to work the next Haalands and Szoboszlais of the game, with a clear career path into the top of the Bundesliga - to come here. 

Maybe it gets him a little more exposure in England, but that's about all I can think of. The only other enticement I can think of is that they offer him a giant, Rodgers-esque package to come, but the owners are never going to take that risk on a manager from the Austrian league. I doubt they even know who he is. 

The first and most difficult step is to create a set-up that coaches like him would be really interested in. A whole organisation full of serious people and professionals - scouting, sports science, analytics, training and conditioning - who can guarantee him the ability to go out onto the training pitch, and focus on doing his stuff with a group of promising players. 

At the moment the club management is just an old boys club with their minds in the 90s, trying to do everything on the cheap, because of some mystique and "pull" they imagine the club should have. There is no serious project, which rules the club out of being considered by almost any promising young manager.

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Certainly. He spent a huge amount of money and reached the heights of 13th in the EPL.

Having actually won a league and cup double, whilst also having experience of managing in the Champions League and Europa League. Far more akin to Celtic than managing Bournemouth would be.

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

To me yes. But I cannot think for the life of me why someone would bail on the Red Bull set-up - the cutting edge of club management, getting to work the next Haalands and Szoboszlais of the game, with a clear career path into the top of the Bundesliga - to come here. 

Maybe it gets him a little more exposure in England, but that's about all I can think of. The only other enticement I can think of is that they offer him a giant, Rodgers-esque package to come, but the owners are never going to take that risk on a manager from the Austrian league. I doubt they even know who he is. 

The first and most difficult step is to create a set-up that coaches like him would be really interested in. A whole organisation full of serious people and professionals - scouting, sports science, analytics, training and conditioning - who can guarantee him the ability to go out onto the training pitch, and focus on doing his stuff with a group of promising players. 

At the moment the club management is just an old boys club with their minds in the 90s, trying to do everything on the cheap, because of some mystique and "pull" they imagine the club should have. There is no serious project, which rules the club out of being considered by almost any promising young manager.

Great posts lads but I was joking :hh:

Just saw the video of Neil Lennon that people have been banging on about. I probably shouldnt have watched it tbh as it always make me feel uneasy seeing people in that state.

Fuck sake, what is wrong with people filming that??

Bloke has had a drink, big deal, we've all been in that state. And for all we know, he might be in a very low place, why film it and stick it on Social Media??

I don't think any of us could do with a mobile these days but seriously, sometimes you wonder if life would be better if there was no such thing as a camera phones to film shit.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Lucas said:

Just saw the video of Neil Lennon that people have been banging on about. I probably shouldnt have watched it tbh as it always make me feel uneasy seeing people in that state.

Fuck sake, what is wrong with people filming that??

Bloke has had a drink, big deal, we've all been in that state. And for all we know, he might be in a very low place, why film it and stick it on Social Media??

I don't think any of us could do with a mobile these days but seriously, sometimes you wonder if life would be better if there was no such thing as a camera phones to film shit.

And he waits until he's walked off before giving him abuse, too. Proper cunt. 

It would be quite funny to see roy keane get the job just to see how long it takes before he falls put with everyone at the club 

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Neil Lennon Resigns as Celtic Manager

Archived