talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chess

football forum

I thought it'd be nice to open up my own thread on chess. I know @CaaC (John) plays and is teaching his great grandchildren to play, and personally I've been playing for 25 years, been in Chess Tournaments, and still keep up with national chess tournaments. Add to that my collection of maybe 50-70 chess books, my Bobby Fischer art, my Staunton Chess table, and I guess you could say I'm a fanatic. 

So, anyone else play? Anyone interested in playing? 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I play chess but I'm not great at it and you'll probably murder me

Ha - I didn't mean to challenge anyone, just curious if anyone was playing nowadays. 

I just started back on Chess.com, but I mostly play on ICC and OTB. 

I actually went to chess camp growing up, on my own doing, with my best friend. It's basically all we did from 5 to 21 years old, with both of us getting in the top 100 in the State (he was always higher though). 

I might be getting a chess coach again and working on actually improving and giving it one last go at getting my NM before I'm too old or bogged down. 

• Subscriber

I like it; don't play it often these days though. My grandfather taught me how to play when I was a kid; my ex was very good at it as well and I had to get him drunk in order to beat him. Then later we also used to play a lot at work with a few colleagues. I hate online chess so it means I barely get to play anymore.

I'm sure Eco would murder us all xD 

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

I like it; don't play it often these days though. My grandfather taught me how to play when I was a kid; my ex was very good at it as well and I had to get him drunk in order to beat him. Then later we also used to play a lot at work with a few colleagues. I hate online chess so it means I barely get to play anymore.

I'm sure Eco would murder us all xD 

Do you happen to have any idea what your ex's Elo rating was? 

I started playing Fischer Random a lot, which is so different and a new twist on chess. You should look up the piece orientations if you aren't familiar with it. 

When I was younger, I would play in simultaneous matches with 5-10 players, moving around. I also tried blindfold chess, but one I was on move 15 or so, I'd start to fall apart. People like Magnus Carlson who can play more simultaneous chess while blindfolded is just a gift I was never given. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Do you happen to have any idea what your ex's Elo rating was? 

I started playing Fischer Random a lot, which is so different and a new twist on chess. You should look up the piece orientations if you aren't familiar with it. 

When I was younger, I would play in simultaneous matches with 5-10 players, moving around. I also tried blindfold chess, but one I was on move 15 or so, I'd start to fall apart. People like Magnus Carlson who can play more simultaneous chess while blindfolded is just a gift I was never given. 

I have absolutely no clue - not sure he does either but I can ask him the next time we talk xD 

I'm currently trying to properly learn Xiangqi (the Chinese chess) as it (and slight variations of it) is the most popular version od chess in the region so I will have it easier to find people to play it with...

Wtf is blindfold chess? O.o Like you actually play it blindfolded?

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Wtf is blindfold chess? O.o Like you actually play it blindfolded?

Well - you play chess without looking, just using chess notations to call out your moves. Here is Magnus Carlsen, likely the greatest chess player ever, showing off his incredible talent. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

As I have mentioned I learnt chess when I worked in the railways in Australia playing against European migrants who were working as guards and they would pop into our hut for a 15-20 break waiting on there trains to arrive so they would give me a game while having a coffee but these guys could thrash the arse off me in 15-20 minutes and from there on I fell in love with chess and bought myself a chess book with all the greatest games played over the years and I made myself a chessboard and marked it up...

88692915-vector-illustration-of-classic-

then I would play the games the chess masters did over the years with my black & white chess pieces, I would sit there for ages playing the moves and learning like the game between  Karpov vs. Kasparov, World Championship 1985, game 16 as an example then I began to understand all the moves and I bloody enjoyed chess from thereon.

Once down South when I was working and I lived in this bedsit many moons ago on a Friday night I sat with this guy from say around 20.00 at night and we played chess non-stop until about 5.00 am, the reason why we sat that long because he was whipping my arse and was beating me 12-2  around mid-night but I was determined to put up a good fight and when we finished playing he JUST beat me as I clawed my way back, if I remember right it ended up 35-31.    

• Upvote 2

I know the rules and enjoy playing it now and then but I'm completely shit. I only play on an app against a computer set on a lower difficulty. 

Me and my ex used to play since she quite likes it. I think I beat her maybe once or twice out of like 20 times. Weirdly, I seem to be very good at opening, because in most games I found myself in a pretty good position, but I almost always blew it when trying to kill the game off. 

The only times I won were when after 15-20 moves I had put myself in a position it was basically impossible to lose from. Otherwise I had no chance. 

Edited by Inverted
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Stick With Azeem said:

I know the horse can move in a ' L ' shape on the spaces

A Knight or in a chess quotation Kt or N as you have the King which is quoted as K...

410px-Hoyles_Games_Modernized_337.png.aca5d4729aa58cc746a2ee36f0417ea4.png

And as you said it moves in an L shape. 

unnamed-chunk-1-1.png

chessboard-grid-5a4feae45b6e2400371cb657.jpg

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Subscriber

Always wanted to learn how to play it. It's on my list of things to before the end of this year but I might need to add it onto next years list instead and get tutored but my girlfriend knows how to play and has said she can teach me the ways!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Always wanted to learn how to play it. It's on my list of things to before the end of this year but I might need to add it onto next years list instead and get tutored but my girlfriend knows how to play and has said she can teach me the ways!

As they say in chess, it's easy to learn, but very hard to master. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Eco said:

As they say in chess, it's easy to learn, but very hard to master. 

I think the girlfriend is just trying to find another game to beat me at. I've never really given it a chance and never really had the time to get my head around how to play. I'd love to be able to 'master' it but I doubt I'll have the patience. 

39 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I think the girlfriend is just trying to find another game to beat me at. I've never really given it a chance and never really had the time to get my head around how to play. I'd love to be able to 'master' it but I doubt I'll have the patience. 

Just tell her that her beauty distracts you when you two play from across one another, and ask to play her online. If she says, 'okay', send me your log in details and I'll play her :)

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

That's the grandson here and wants to play a game of chess his way with grannie  :whistling:

Cough, cough, he is beating grannie but he is learning, so far he has captured two of his grannies knights...don't ask me how. xD

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATYwMA

Edited by CaaC (John)
Restore photos

• 4 months later...

So, Covid-19 has been great for chess. Players on twitch are saying that they have more streamers, and then all tournaments have been moved online so that their isn't a break in action. 

Personally, I know I have been playing and watching a lot more. 

• The title was changed to Chess Chat