talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chess

football forum

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I don't want to get stomped

Ah, you kind of get used to it...

I played two matches last night that I still can't get over, both of them I was clearly in the winning position, but against the clock, and fucked them both up. I am actually with some guys online tonight via Discord and we are going to walk through the game (they both very higher rated than I). 

Just now, Eco said:

Ah, you kind of get used to it...

I played two matches last night that I still can't get over, both of them I was clearly in the winning position, but against the clock, and fucked them both up. I am actually with some guys online tonight via Discord and we are going to walk through the game (they both very higher rated than I). 

Not when it's a Fool's Mate. 

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to Chess (2020 FIDE Candidates Tournament)

So, news broke yesterday that tournament leader, Ian Nepo, has been battling an illness (not the Coronavirus, although details are scare), which is why he tried to offer Ding an early draw yesterday (was declined), yet went won to secure the win. Today though, was a different result. He went up against the fan favorite in MVL, and looked tired, was sloppy, and lost his first match of this tournament. 

Here are today's results
image.thumb.png.5c2c99e16515f86a8574d03a7d3abb7a.png

Current Standings
image.png.1b1f43191f712db5ef38b898d4836d0a.png
image.png.fd7e216300e4a94af8b8cd5949449e43.png

Tomorrow's Schedule*
image.thumb.png.3aa16b2faa46c70d3f3f75a1fab74872.png

*There were rumors spreading today that FIDE will move this to an online tournament starting tomorrow. Personally, seems a little too late, but we will see what the official statement is (if there is one)

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Eco said:

Also, I know that I'm mostly alone in here, but I am curious @Batard if you know ANYTHING about MVL and that he exists? He always has a massive following wherever he goes and plays very fun, exciting chess. 

I'm aware of Maxime

16 hours ago, nudge said:

I'd like to get back into it just can't enjoy playing online unfortunately. 

Too bad, it would be nice to play some people online that I actually know. I know we used to have a chess tournament with...that one member who was the Galatasary fan...can't remember his name though but he was a solid player. 

3 hours ago, Batard said:

I'm aware of Maxime

:congrats:

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Too bad, it would be nice to play some people online that I actually know. I know we used to have a chess tournament with...that one member who was the Galatasary fan...can't remember his name though but he was a solid player. 

:congrats:

You'd demolish me anyway 😂

I played online with Marklar or whatever his name was a few times. 

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

You'd demolish me anyway 😂

I played online with Marklar or whatever his name was a few times. 

Chess.com allows 'unqiue' games, so I could make so that you have 5 minutes, and I only have one minute. Or You start with the normal pieces, and instead of bishops, a queen, and rooks, I just have all Knights, King, and Pawns. xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Chess.com allows 'unqiue' games, so I could make so that you have 5 minutes, and I only have one minute. Or You start with the normal pieces, and instead of bishops, a queen, and rooks, I just have all Knights, King, and Pawns. xD

I'd probably still lose xD

• Haha 1

Well, I woke up the news that the Chess world was expecting. 

FIDE Candidates Tournament stopped at halfway

The 2020 FIDE Candidates has been stopped today after 7 of the 14 rounds, with the second half to be completed at a later date. The escalating coronavirus pandemic around the world had made the decision to play the event look increasingly anomalous, and today was the last chance for many of the players and others involved with the tournament to get a flight out of Russia. Maxime Vachier-Lagrave and Ian Nepomniachtchi will go into the second half of the event leading by a full point on 4.5/7.

The World Chess Federation FIDE has now confirmed that the Candidates Tournament has been stopped. The official statement explains that the immediate reason is the stopping of all flights out of Russia from 27th March:

giphy.gif

• The title was changed to Chess Chat
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know much about the world of professional chess, but I do know who Magnus Carlsen is. And 16 year old Alireza Firouzja beat him at some blitz chess tournament.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/sport/alireza-firouzja-beat-magnus-carlsen-iran-chess-spt-intl/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2020-04-17T12%3A00%3A11&utm_term=link&utm_source=twCNN

• 9 months later...

Anyone a fan of it? I used to play it sporadically when I was younger, and I recently tried to get back into it. Challenged some Asian guy online, and he beat me so fast that my head spun. xD Rusty as shit. Granted, I was never great to begin with.

Are you following professional chess? Magnus Carlsen is a straight up genius. Became a grandmaster when he was 14, and played 10 people blindfolded when he was a teenager and beat every single one of them. There's quite a few videos on youtube, where he plays online. He beats grandmasters like they're nothing. Absolute fascinating human being. 

Here he got challenged by someone with the nickname "MagnusIsPoorPlayer". Probably a clever way to provoke a challenge out of Magnus. 

"This guy has severely provoked me with his username... and now I shall beat him quite mercilessly" xD

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Anyone a fan of it? I used to play it sporadically when I was younger, and I recently tried to get back into it. Challenged some Asian guy online, and he beat me so fast that my head spun. xD Rusty as shit. Granted, I was never great to begin with.

Are you following professional chess? Magnus Carlsen is a straight up genius. Became a grandmaster when he was 14, and played 10 people blindfolded when he was a teenager and beat every single one of them. There's quite a few videos on youtube, where he plays online. He beats grandmasters like they're nothing. Absolute fascinating human being. 

Here he got challenged by someone with the nickname "MagnusIsPoorPlayer". Probably a clever way to provoke a challenge out of Magnus. 

"This guy has severely provoked me with his username... and now I shall beat him quite mercilessly" xD

You're a bit late to the party :ph34r:

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Do you play on chess24 or chess.com? I tried to get back into it, but online is just no fun for me, I need actual board to enjoy it... And in "real life", have nobody to play with anymore. Used to play Xiangqi with the construction workers who were working next to my house a few years ago, got demolished every time xD 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Do you play on chess24 or chess.com? I tried to get back into it, but online is just no fun for me, I need actual board to enjoy it... And in "real life", have nobody to play with anymore. Used to play Xiangqi with the construction workers who were working next to my house a few years ago, got demolished every time xD 

chess24 :) I even have a nice chess set in real life. From Croatia, hand carved and all. It's quite a beauty. Haven't played in ages though. I'd like to play a bit better though. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

chess24 :) I even have a nice chess set in real life. From Croatia, hand carved and all. It's quite a beauty. Haven't played in ages though. I'd like to play a bit better though. 

A lot of it is about practice... The last time I properly played chess was back at my old workplace; we used to organise little chess competitions between the co-workers xD I was pretty rusty at the beginning as I hadn't played for years, but then a few months later managed to constantly get into the top 3, and after few more months was able to beat our best player regularly. Kinda miss it; it's a great brain workout.

@Eco is great at chess, maybe ask him to play online. It feels good to win, but you benefit more from and improve faster by playing stronger opponents... 

• Upvote 1