talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chess

football forum

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I have bad news for you guys. After practicing and playing all evening, I'm sad to inform you that I am not going to be the next Magnus Carlsen. 

You were that 'MagnusIsaPoorPlayer' and got mercilessly defeated didn't you xD

20 hours ago, nudge said:

@Tommy if you have an android smartphone, you might want to check out Chess King series of apps. It has both high-quality theory courses to teach you strategy/tactics as well as exercises to solve. 

Cheers! I do have an android. I'll check it out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I watched so much chess in the last few weeks. Even videos where pros explain stuff to beginners. And I get the answers faster than the beginners, and can predict moves, and tell you the best possible move. But as soon as I try playing myself... I blunder myself to death faster than a grandma in the supermarket when a new checkout opens up. 

8 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

The greatest Chess battle I ever witnessed was when Holly took on Queeg for control of Red Dwarf... 

See the source image

Is that one of those obscure movies you saw as a kid in the 60s? 

So after playing on Chess24 and Lichess, I settled for Chess.com. I like their interface and their Analysis tool helps me to understand the game better. Seeing what I did well, or completely wrong. 

Today I finally beat my first human opponent. To be fair though, even I, as a novice, could tell that he's pretty bad. He didn't move his pawns at all until very late into the game. xD

This was our positions when the opponent resigned:

g6f8LMi.png

Funnily enough, the Analyse tool showed me that I could have beaten him much sooner. Didn't even see it. :dam:

w6KI5RM.png

Ah well, just wanted to share, as I'm quite passionate about getting better. After a few weeks of hopelesness I am finally getting a bit better. My openings are quite solid. Need to work on my middle and endgames though. 

Didn't want to create a "Tommy's road to the Grand Master title" topic for this. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

I play quite a bit online, and also a bit in a club. I am just a patzer though. Around 1400 FIDE. My biggest win was against a young woman who was 92th in the junior world championships for women. I hope I will have the time to improve in the future, and travel to some tournaments. It seems nice to go to places like the Bankok chess club open and the Gibralter chess festival and combine chess and vacation.

I found this docu a great watch.

Edited by Relling
  • Upvote 3

On 15/02/2021 at 23:11, Relling said:

I play quite a bit online

Where? :o

Beat a guy today and reached an accuracy of 72.3 for the first time. And yes, my rating is terrible because I'm still recovering from my early endeavours. :ph34r:

Unbenannt.png

Just played against an Irish guy who thought he was really clever. I'm black. Look how he starts with his Queen, thinking he's cheeky and shit. But I managed to beat him even though I was very confused at the beginning. xD

9FXfdvk.gif

• Haha 2

On 18/02/2021 at 20:16, Tommy said:

Where? :o

Beat a guy today and reached an accuracy of 72.3 for the first time. And yes, my rating is terrible because I'm still recovering from my early endeavours. :ph34r:

Unbenannt.png

Chess.com. I also have an account on lichess. My chess persona is Oivind_Thorshaug.  Sometimes I manage to play some decent games on daily chess at chess.com. Look at me destroy an IM: :p  

https://lichess.org/L0DOIRfq#43

• Wow 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking forward to see Magnus Carlsen playing Hikaru Nakamura today. And then Magnus decides to go for the memes and offers Hikaru an early draw by opening with a blongcloud. 

xD

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...