talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chess

football forum

So, the candidates tournament for the world championship match is on its way. Jan Nepomnjasjtsjij with in the lead before the last four rounds. I have been enjoying the chess24 stream.

Nice to see that even the big boys truly suffer after a loss

• Subscriber
On 20/02/2021 at 20:57, Tommy said:

Just played against an Irish guy who thought he was really clever. I'm black. Look how he starts with his Queen, thinking he's cheeky and shit. But I managed to beat him even though I was very confused at the beginning. xD

9FXfdvk.gif

Your race changes with each game.

Paying attention to chess drama online isn't something I thought I'd be doing. Why does everyone hate Hikaru? Why is Ben Finegold such a twat? What's happened with Eric Hansen & Alexandra Botez? Who is Chessbae?

• 2 weeks later...

Piece of cake. I'm the white pieces. He felt confident because he was ahead on material. But he didn't see the bigger picture. Pffft, bring on Magnus. :ph34r: Actually I'm happy because I've won this because I started this game after being bored and having a few beers. Never a good idea normally. xD

board.gif

• Upvote 1

On 22/04/2021 at 21:52, 6666 said:

Why does everyone hate Hikaru? 

I finally got an answer to this. Apparently he hits many chess streamers or youtubers with copyright strikes as soon as they show anything about him. He denied it on stream and than later admitted it. And he messages other online chess players during matches with very bully-ish messages about how they play. Then on Stream he talks nice about them and their play. He's generally very dick-ish to other chess players. 

I used to like him and was even subbed to him on Twitch. Unsubbed after learning all of this. Now I'll celebrate whenever he gets his ass handed to him by Magnus over and over again. 

Watched Magnus Carlsen vs. Hikaru Nakamura all evening. They had to go into a tie-break because it was level. A tie-break is two Blitz games where every player has 5 minutes. Hikaru is supposed to be the best Blitz player in the world, but Magnus absolutely took him to the cleaners and won with both white and black. Absolutely brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

@Tommy - I had no idea you were into chess?!? O.o

Yeah - Hikaru is a bit of a PITA and is known for being a sore loser, accusing those who beat him of cheating, and just acting like he walks on water.

I only get on Twitch to watch Chess, so I typically usually watch my neighbor (and very common opponent) GM Ben Finegold, Botez sisters, Chess Brahs, and many others.

What are you thinking about the upcoming world championship match between Carlson and Nepo?

On 15/05/2021 at 18:17, Tommy said:

Piece of cake. I'm the white pieces. He felt confident because he was ahead on material. But he didn't see the bigger picture. Pffft, bring on Magnus. :ph34r: Actually I'm happy because I've won this because I started this game after being bored and having a few beers. Never a good idea normally. xD

board.gif

If you are interested, send me the PNG for this game and we can go over it. I see some things you could have done to expedite the win, and then explain WHY. Just a thought, but good win man!

7 hours ago, Eco said:

@Tommy - I had no idea you were into chess?!? O.o

Yeah - Hikaru is a bit of a PITA and is known for being a sore loser, accusing those who beat him of cheating, and just acting like he walks on water.

I only get on Twitch to watch Chess, so I typically usually watch my neighbor (and very common opponent) GM Ben Finegold, Botez sisters, Chess Brahs, and many others.

What are you thinking about the upcoming world championship match between Carlson and Nepo?

I used to play it as a child. But then got back into it because of "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix. :4_joy: 

As for Carlsen vs. Nepo. Good question. I think Nepo is one of the few who could really take it from Magnus. But Magnus looked ridiculously sharp in the latest Crypto Cup. He looked a bit sloppy and kind of worn out in the last few months, but lately he seems to be back at his best. So I think Magnus will make it again.  

7 hours ago, Eco said:

If you are interested, send me the PNG for this game and we can go over it. I see some things you could have done to expedite the win, and then explain WHY. Just a thought, but good win man!

Cheers. I might get back to you on that. I have analyzed it and I've seen my mistakes already. :D I should really play more. But I'm often anxious to play as I am afraid of failing. xD

On 08/06/2021 at 18:06, Tommy said:

I used to play it as a child. But then got back into it because of "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix. :4_joy: 

As for Carlsen vs. Nepo. Good question. I think Nepo is one of the few who could really take it from Magnus. But Magnus looked ridiculously sharp in the latest Crypto Cup. He looked a bit sloppy and kind of worn out in the last few months, but lately he seems to be back at his best. So I think Magnus will make it again. 

Nepo is the only Super GM without a losing record against Carlsen. And Nepo is the type of player that if he had a couple of good, solid games, he'll go on a tear where he is almost unbeatable.

I think the upset will happen and Nepo will take the crown.

On 08/06/2021 at 18:06, Tommy said:

Cheers. I might get back to you on that. I have analyzed it and I've seen my mistakes already. :D I should really play more. But I'm often anxious to play as I am afraid of failing. xD 

No reason to to be nervous with online chess. My account almost has 5k loses, and some of them are embarrassing. Just keep playing and learning :)

• Upvote 1

On 11/06/2021 at 13:23, Eco said:

Nepo is the only Super GM without a losing record against Carlsen. And Nepo is the type of player that if he had a couple of good, solid games, he'll go on a tear where he is almost unbeatable.

I think the upset will happen and Nepo will take the crown.

No reason to to be nervous with online chess. My account almost has 5k loses, and some of them are embarrassing. Just keep playing and learning :)

Did you read books about chess? Do you know every opening by heart? It's such a complex thing to get into. 

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

Did you read books about chess? Do you know every opening by heart? It's such a complex thing to get into. 

Yes to an extreme, and yes.

If you are starting out, there are some basics to learn. but really you just need to focus on tactics and the endgame. SOOO many people focus on the openings but truth is you can't win in the opening, and strong tactics wallup any opening.

• Upvote 3

@Tommy If you want my study guide for getting better at chess, this is what I'd do

Opening (Learn to 4 moves in, and just watch a couple of beginner Youtube Videos on each as they are the most common)
Ruy Lopez
Italian
Four Knights
and then I'd learn Queen's Gambit both accepted and declined that it's more popular now with the Netflix series.

Tactics
Chess.com has a tactics trainer, that I would study like my life depended on it. Don't rush your answer, and if you get it wrong, FIND OUT WHY. So many people just continue to play play play instead of reviewing their mistakes. Chess.com has also lessons that I'd work through as they can very valuable. Lichess has a similar program, although I don't get on there all that often.

Endings
Chess.com has great drills for the endgame. Even though you might not ever get the chance to mate with two bishops, or bishop and knight, the point is that my memorizing the 'goal' for each checkmate, you will slowly begin to see uses for these within your own game, plus if you ARE even in this position, you will be fully prepared.

Other
One of the BIGGEST mistakes I see people making, is just playing 1|0 games one after another, for hours and hours. These teach AWFUL habits and while you get the 'quick fix' of playing a chess game, I'd avoid these for as long as you can hold out. If you play live chess, I'd go with the 5|0 or 3|2 time if you want to play but not take too long. Remember, if you lose, learn why. If you win, figure out how you could have won faster OR how you could have beaten yourself. Reviewing your games will show the greatest and quickest path to world domination.

When I need chess inspiration, I also watch ChessBrah, Botez, or someone similar on Twitch. I'd check it out.

If you have any questions or want another set of eyes, just download the FEN or PGN, and send it to me (you can text me), and I'll send it back with notes and my thoughts. I have a few people who do this for me and it's so helpful to get another point of view.

Lastly, HAVE FUN. If it ever gets too much, then it's not worth it. Just enjoy it and have a blast learning about a game that's been around for centuries and yet no one can play the 'perfect' game.

If you want to read, here are some of my favorite books -

https://smile.amazon.com/Silmans-Complete-Endgame-Course-Jeremy/dp/B00D8298P0/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Jeremy+stilman&qid=1623767001&sr=8-1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9WCX7A/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i0

https://smile.amazon.com/My-System-Chess-Praxis-Landmark-ebook/dp/B01K0L1ZC0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=155P6D2TCU7LV&dchild=1&keywords=aron+nimzowitsch&qid=1623767035&s=digital-text&sprefix=aron+ni%2Cdigital-text%2C161&sr=1-3

https://smile.amazon.com/Chess-5334-Problems-Combinations-Games-ebook/dp/B00DWK544C/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=chess+tactics&qid=1623767050&s=digital-text&sr=1-6

And if you are rated below 1000, I'd suggest this easy read - https://smile.amazon.com/Bobby-Fischer-Teaches-Chess/dp/0553263153/ref=sr_1_1?crid=XXGULZF2IN4N&dchild=1&keywords=bobby+fischer+teaches+chess&qid=1623767083&sprefix=bobby+fis%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eco said:

@Tommy If you want my study guide for getting better at chess, this is what I'd do

Opening (Learn to 4 moves in, and just watch a couple of beginner Youtube Videos on each as they are the most common)
Ruy Lopez
Italian
Four Knights
and then I'd learn Queen's Gambit both accepted and declined that it's more popular now with the Netflix series.

Tactics
Chess.com has a tactics trainer, that I would study like my life depended on it. Don't rush your answer, and if you get it wrong, FIND OUT WHY. So many people just continue to play play play instead of reviewing their mistakes. Chess.com has also lessons that I'd work through as they can very valuable. Lichess has a similar program, although I don't get on there all that often.

Endings
Chess.com has great drills for the endgame. Even though you might not ever get the chance to mate with two bishops, or bishop and knight, the point is that my memorizing the 'goal' for each checkmate, you will slowly begin to see uses for these within your own game, plus if you ARE even in this position, you will be fully prepared.

Other
One of the BIGGEST mistakes I see people making, is just playing 1|0 games one after another, for hours and hours. These teach AWFUL habits and while you get the 'quick fix' of playing a chess game, I'd avoid these for as long as you can hold out. If you play live chess, I'd go with the 5|0 or 3|2 time if you want to play but not take too long. Remember, if you lose, learn why. If you win, figure out how you could have won faster OR how you could have beaten yourself. Reviewing your games will show the greatest and quickest path to world domination.

When I need chess inspiration, I also watch ChessBrah, Botez, or someone similar on Twitch. I'd check it out.

If you have any questions or want another set of eyes, just download the FEN or PGN, and send it to me (you can text me), and I'll send it back with notes and my thoughts. I have a few people who do this for me and it's so helpful to get another point of view.

Lastly, HAVE FUN. If it ever gets too much, then it's not worth it. Just enjoy it and have a blast learning about a game that's been around for centuries and yet no one can play the 'perfect' game.

If you want to read, here are some of my favorite books -

https://smile.amazon.com/Silmans-Complete-Endgame-Course-Jeremy/dp/B00D8298P0/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Jeremy+stilman&qid=1623767001&sr=8-1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9WCX7A/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i0

https://smile.amazon.com/My-System-Chess-Praxis-Landmark-ebook/dp/B01K0L1ZC0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=155P6D2TCU7LV&dchild=1&keywords=aron+nimzowitsch&qid=1623767035&s=digital-text&sprefix=aron+ni%2Cdigital-text%2C161&sr=1-3

https://smile.amazon.com/Chess-5334-Problems-Combinations-Games-ebook/dp/B00DWK544C/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=chess+tactics&qid=1623767050&s=digital-text&sr=1-6

And if you are rated below 1000, I'd suggest this easy read - https://smile.amazon.com/Bobby-Fischer-Teaches-Chess/dp/0553263153/ref=sr_1_1?crid=XXGULZF2IN4N&dchild=1&keywords=bobby+fischer+teaches+chess&qid=1623767083&sprefix=bobby+fis%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-1

Thank you very much! I already watched a few youtube videos on openings, as it felt like I have no idea when I first started again, and got check mated relatively quickly. I already improved a lot in that area and know how to develop my pieces more or less. But I will have to get into it in more details, so your post is really helpful. Thank you again! :) I will get back to you if any problems occur or if I have any more questions. 

What do you think about Levy Rozman? I have watched him on twitch from time to time. Also used to follow Hikaru, but his antics and the stories made me go away from him. I also quite like Anna Rudolf, especially when she teaches people on twitch. Very helpful. I have started to follow Alexandra Botez as well. Both helpful and easy on the eyes. xD

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I think it is quite nice that he chooses not to play when the fun is gone. These matches must take so much from the players.

But still, sad for chess. I will be rooting for Ding. Refreshing with such a humble soft spoken man.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JoshBRFC said:

Downloaded a chess app recently. Realised how shit i am. I want to get better.

I used to play regularly with my old man when growing up as he loved the game.

What app are you using?