The better place to talk football.

Neil Harris Sacked by Cardiff

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

How did you miss this @Lucas xD

We must have done that at a very similar time because that thread was like 3 pages back when I looked.

Damn you Stan. Always bloody there aren't you xD 

You'd make a good journo though.

It's odd really.

Got us to the play offs last season and this season we're pretty much falling into a relegation fight. 

Recruitment hasn't been the worst in the world, but his tactics are simply piss poor and can't use his players properly (I don't know what he's doing with Harry Wilson in all honesty).

At the same time, while injuries have played a small part and the sudden sacking of Mendez didn't help, he left us short in centre back (which Joe Bennett deputised xD), never sorted out our right back situation (basically Tutu until he got injured, then Bacuna had to deputise) and our midfield is still as static and bereft of quality as it ever has been (a midfield of Ralls, Vaulks and Bacuna/Pack is not scaring anyone). 

Happy that he's gone but this should have been done earlier, as we'll be wasting the remainder of the window now (also odd that we literally signed two players a couple of days before leaving us). 

As for who to replace him, early odds are for Paul Cook and Tony Pulis, the latter of which I don't want anywhere near the club. Many want Eddie Howe but that's unrealistic and, given the squad we have, it'd be best for him to avoid us at all costs. For me, I wouldn't be too upset if we tried for Bowyer or Ainsworth, but given Tan's record of new managers, basically think of anyone without a club and they have a chance of managing us. 

With the investment made in the summer I imagine playoffs was the minimum the owner wanted. To not even be competing is pretty poor. After the QPR result you sensed the writing was on the wall.

I feel a bit for Neil Harris as I'm not sure where he goes from here. He's associated with doing well with limited players who show grit but not necessarily able to inject a creative spark to take a team beyond a certain level. Seems destined for a Preston before fading off down the divisons at former clubs.

As for Cardiff, I imagine they will be straight after somebody with experience to improve their current situation. It wouldn't surprise me if they're straight away making contact with Eddie Howe but I cannot imagine he would manage a Cardiff side in a worse predicament than the Bournemouth side he left in the summer. Mark Hughes I imagine will be considered too and maybe a more realistic choice, but then again does he want to get sucked in to the black hole of Championship managers?

I can't see them wanting to go for unexperienced names. Paul Cook, nice bloke but seems very Russell Slade. Others like Bowyer and Ainsworth seem like a massive gamble for owners that want to be in the top divison imminently.

They must be kicking themselves about Chris Hughton as he would have been perfect.

• Subscriber

Cardiff City to name Mick McCarthy new manager after sacking Neil Harris

Cardiff City are set to appoint Mick McCarthy as their new manager following the sacking of Neil Harris.

Harris departed on Thursday after six straight defeats had left Cardiff 15th in the Championship, closer to the relegation zone than the play-offs.

Former Republic of Ireland and Wolves manager McCarthy, 61, left Cypriot champions Apoel earlier this month.

It is understood Cardiff have received several applications for the manager's post following Harris' exit.

But it is former Ipswich Town boss McCarthy who looks poised to take over at Cardiff City Stadium.

The length of his contract has yet to be decided but a deal is expected to be completed in a matter of days.

McCarthy inherits a Cardiff side low on confidence after a run of five successive defeats in the Championship and six in all competitions.

Harris, who succeeded Neil Warnock as Bluebirds boss in November 2019, had led the team to the Championship's play-off semi-finals last season.

However, his side failed to reach the same heights during this campaign, which Cardiff started by winning only three of their first 13 matches.

They recovered with a run of four consecutive victories between November and December, but since then the Welsh side have lost seven of their eight fixtures.

Cardiff have turned to the vastly experienced McCarthy, who has won promotion to the Premier League with Sunderland and Wolves over the course of a managerial career dating back to 1992.

He has also had two stints in charge of the Republic of Ireland and managed Ipswich between 2012 and 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55762328

That is so uninspiring.

You have to ask yourself this. Are they signing Mick McCarthy to guide them into the playoffs or Mick McCarthy to help them stay up?

For me, it's the latter. You are surely not choosing McCarthy to take this team onwards with a view to promotion, surely not? 

The only thing about it is his style of football will fit in with the current philosophy there that Warnock and Harris had. I am surprised though.

16 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I'm actually heading down there a week Monday anyway (police permitting) so you never know. :ph34r:

Haha. I remembered all those teens from there that seemed to be committing suicide down there a while back. Seriously odd behaviour.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2021 at 18:27, Lucas said:

Haha. I remembered all those teens from there that seemed to be committing suicide down there a while back. Seriously odd behaviour.

Only wanted to quote you as I'm down Bridgend as of typing. Walked through the place just for a bit of air and it's no wonder the place had suicides. Depressing as shit down there and makes me want to off myself now. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Only wanted to quote you as I'm down Bridgend as of typing. Walked through the place just for a bit of air and it's no wonder the place had suicides. Depressing as shit down there and makes me want to off myself now. :ph34r:

Yeah, it's not exactly Pembrokeshire xD

Archived