talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frank Lampard Sacked by Chelsea

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Should never have got the job because he’d had one year at Derby and while he and they had a good season, the next step wasn’t Chelsea at that point, but you’re not going to turn that down if you’re Lampard. 

Allegri next? I’d go for Hassenhuttl if I was them. 

Sounds like Tuchel. He's a good coach, quite a difficult personality by all accounts but could drill this side into something.

4 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

Absolute morons. They were starting to show signs of improvement. Europe might have been in the balance but good managers take a few seasons to bed in. Hopefully he goes to a club who know how it works. 

Frank had all the right attributes for a manager, unfortunately like so many he's come against an owner without any of the right attributes.

Such as being distinctly underwhelming at both of the clubs he managed?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

Absolute morons. They were starting to show signs of improvement. Europe might have been in the balance but good managers take a few seasons to bed in. Hopefully he goes to a club who know how it works. 

Frank had all the right attributes for a manager, unfortunately like so many he's come against an owner without any of the right attributes.

What signs of improvement were they showing? 

What attributes has Frank shown in his managerial career to date to suggest they are the right ones? 

Chucking my origin reply in here:

I know people sack managers far too quickly these days, and my own club have benefitted from sticking with a manager in a rut. But I’m not sure what it is people see in Lampard that means he’ll be a long term manager at Chelsea?

He pulled up no trees at Derby, got the job through his name much like he did at Chelsea. Made very consistent defensive errors last season that still aren’t fixed, errors that a certain Chelsea fan on here *cough cough* @The Liquidator *cough cough* would have had a copy and paste fit over if it was Sarri. Took Chelsea to a 4th place finish, OK, he met the minimum standard of a Chelsea manager in a season where Spurs and Arsenal both sacked their managers, with the squad he had at his disposal Chelsea should have finished above Leicester, Wolves etc as they did.

Chelsea brought in £200m+ worth of players, the minimum expectation from this haul is a title challenge as it should be when you make such a large amount of high profile signings and they are currently 11 points off the league leaders and maybe 12 if City win their game in hand. Chelsea have just lost to Leicester, City, Arsenal (performance-wise, very, very badly) and drew with Villa. Their win against West Ham was not a performance that warranted the score line, they lost to Wolves and Everton prior to that too. If Spurs and Everton win their games in hand Chelsea will also be 7 points off 5th and 9 points off of 4th. But the underlying fact is that Lampard’s team has progressively got worse when it should have got better. There is nothing to look at under Lampard’s reign that suggests things could be very good. No Bundesliga wins, no German Cup wins, no Champions League finalists, no consistently improved seasons and performances, literally nothing.

Chelsea did go 17 games unbeaten as was stated, 6 draws and they picked wins up against Sevilla (good), Rennes (OK), Spurs (1-1 in normal time, went to pens), Newcastle, Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Krasnodar, Palace and the mighty Barnsley. Hardly a record to look back on and think “yeah, we were definitely title contenders”...alongside West Ham.

Chelsea should never have hired him in the first place, massive mistake that has set them back. I don’t know a lot about Tuchel individually other than both Dortmund and PSG wanted rid of him, not sure he’s the best replacement but ze Germans will know better.

I think he's a decent manager and obviously can get a lot better, but the Chelsea job post-embargo was too much for him too soon. 

I wouldn't mind him at Celtic tbh. I don't think he's tactically as astute as Gerrard, but he at least seems to have a consistent tactical aim and he gets a tune out of young talented players. 

Just now, ToonFan said:

He got to an FA Cup Final under a transfer embargo for crying out loud.

The link up play up front has been steadily in there past few matches. He's 5 points behind the champions league places with half the season to go a gap that could have quite easily have been made up with a winning streak. 

I'd have given to the end of the season. If he didn't get Europe then sack him. 

As Wenger and Emery showed, an FA Cup final is hardly signs of promise. Them having a transfer embargo doesn’t change the fact that they signed Pulisic pre-empting the embargo and also brought in Kovacic, on top of an already strong squad with a lot of youthful talent coming through, he was not under any form of struggle at Chelsea with the embargo in place. Spurs and Everton both above Chelsea with 1 game and 2 games in hand, and has been pointed out he’s beaten one side in the top ten this season. There is very little specifically to pick out to suggest he’s currently cut out for the Chelsea job and that major improvement is imminent. They should be challenging for the title, not talking about how many points they are off of top 4.

7 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think he's a decent manager and obviously can get a lot better, but the Chelsea job post-embargo was too much for him too soon. 

I wouldn't mind him at Celtic tbh. 

No different to being linked with Eddie Howe tbh.

• Subscriber

Shame to sack him at this stage of the season, but he shouldn’t be surprised given their history of sacking managers. 

He’s a class act and I wish him the best in the future. He will learn from this and come back stronger. 

14 minutes ago, Danny said:

No different to being linked with Eddie Howe tbh.

It's not really a job that requires top tactical instincts, tbf. You'd have the biggest budget and (on paper) the strongest squad. 

Anyone who can come into a club, develop players, implement a system, and instil some confidence would probably do. 

21 minutes ago, Danny said:

I don’t know a lot about Tuchel individually other than both Dortmund and PSG wanted rid of him, not sure he’s the best replacement but ze Germans will know better.

As far as professional competence is concerned Thomas Tuchel is fully qualified to manage Chelsea, his track record with both PSG and BVB isn't to be looked down on, but, and that's a big but and why both clubs were happy to see his back in the end, saying he'D be difficult to deal with is an understatement. At PSG he consistently clashed with sports director Leonardo and when he left Dortmund both sports director Zorc and CEO Watzke suggested their relation with Tuchel were broken.  Maybe the traditional English system with a manager deciding everything suits him more than the continental concept of shared responsibility regarding sporting decisions, though.

• The title was changed to Frank Lampard Sacked by Chelsea
11 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Considering Dortmund’s current condition, I’m sure a lot of people would say that Tuchel might have been right to clash with the club management. 

Well let's ask @God is Haaland, who as a BVB supporter might be a more suitable source to discuss Dortmund's club management than the two of us from afar.

I just think it's a perfect example of why Chelsea will never achieve sustained success again. Short termism rules the day. Loyalty counts for nothing. And a good young managerial prospect is chewed up and spat out as soiled goods.

Tuchel is a better manager but I still think it's completely dumb to make the move now when you're 9th and halfway through the season. Especially given the strength of the connection to the player and the potential marketing upside if the legendary player makes it stick...

Let me put it another way, I'd be ropeable if Liverpool did the same to Gerrard or Carragher.

Archived