talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frank Lampard Sacked by Chelsea

If it was anybody other than Frank Lampard, there wouldn’t be this much outrage. He got the job on a technicality, he delivered the bare minimum in his first season, was given a massive budget to spend on the players he wanted, and now doesn’t have a clue what to do with them. 

There’s no plan, not even a hint of one from Lampard. This is the correct decision from Chelsea, even if some of the fans want to bury their head in the sand. It’s all fine and well saying “oh but if they win a few games they will be right back in it” but that doesn’t sit with me, because it’ll be the quality of the players that win matches rather than his tactics or vision. Next season you start it all again with no clear plan? No thanks if I’m a Chelsea supporter, I want somebody to have an idea, a philosophy and who will follow it. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to happen. 

Having a run of poor results is one thing, but getting progressively worse performance wise week after week is another. Nothing looked sustainable and there were no signs of progression, which was why I was desperate for Lampard to get the team performing again and cared more about that than getting 3 points. In the end, the job was always took big for him. There were signs last season but considering what he had accomplished he deserved a go managing the team with his signings. But all we've seen was his inexperience highlighted in full view for the world to see. Mismanagement of players accompanied by poor tactics and in game management. Lampard was always given 3 years to challenge for the title, however, we were to see continuous progression season after season. We've gone backwards this season. It's difficult for the club to be patient with a manager that has no track record of success or philosophy of football to back on. Its the very reason I laugh at the Klopp comparisons considering the rut Liverpool are in. The football is still there. This whole thing feels like the DiMatteo sacking, however that looked to be the correct decision. I'm hoping Lampard doesn't fade like him and comes back stronger. Still our greatest ever and by no means does this tarnish his reputation here. 

I think the club need to think long and hard about Tuchel.  I rate him but I see similarities with Conte. Would rather wait until summer for Nagelsmann. 

42 minutes ago, Rick said:

If it was anybody other than Frank Lampard, there wouldn’t be this much outrage. He got the job on a technicality, he delivered the bare minimum in his first season, was given a massive budget to spend on the players he wanted, and now doesn’t have a clue what to do with them. 

There’s no plan, not even a hint of one from Lampard. This is the correct decision from Chelsea, even if some of the fans want to bury their head in the sand. It’s all fine and well saying “oh but if they win a few games they will be right back in it” but that doesn’t sit with me, because it’ll be the quality of the players that win matches rather than his tactics or vision. Next season you start it all again with no clear plan? No thanks if I’m a Chelsea supporter, I want somebody to have an idea, a philosophy and who will follow it. 

Untitled.jpg

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

It's not really a job that requires top tactical instincts, tbf. You'd have the biggest budget and (on paper) the strongest squad. 

Anyone who can come into a club, develop players, implement a system, and instil some confidence would probably do. 

You want some decent European nights though right? Someone with tactical nous would be good trying to get the best out of a squad that financially can't compete with clubs from England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany and then even probably Holland (aka Ajax)

11 minutes ago, Danny said:

You want some decent European nights though right? Someone with tactical nous would be good trying to get the best out of a squad that financially can't compete with clubs from England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany and then even probably Holland (aka Ajax)

Maybe one day, but at the moment the main European aim is just getting the team to click enough on a basic level that it can at least get past skint teams from Hungary and Greece in the qualifiers. 

5 minutes ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

I hate shit like this. Where they've clearly got their next manager lined up but they leave the current one in charge for a game. It's so snide.

Every club should have a list of managers they want to hire should they sack their current one. Would be negligent not to have this level of planning, you forward plan for the loss of a player.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Every club should have a list of managers they want to hire should they sack their current one. Would be negligent not to have this level of planning, you forward plan for the loss of a player.

Having a list and actually readily getting the next manager in is totally different though.

And it's totally different to losing players as well. 

Just now, Stan said:

Having a list and actually readily getting the next manager in is totally different though.

And it's totally different to losing players as well. 

Wrong to tell Tuchel that Lampard is on his way out yes, right to tell Tuchel should Lampard get the sack he's high on their list.

Literally the same, but really, much more important to have a system in place to effectively replace a manager than a player.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

I hate shit like this. Where they've clearly got their next manager lined up but they leave the current one in charge for a game. It's so snide.

But....

I guarantee you’d throw those morals out of your window if it meant you could replace Bruce. ^_^

Or is it a joke and you do actually have someone lined up for next week? xD

25 minutes ago, Danny said:

He wasn't sacked because of the Luton Town game though, they most likely already decided to sack him but left him incharge of it. 

Fairly certain it was the Arsenal defeat, and the manner of the defeat that may have convinced the board. Certainly did me. After the City defeat however was probably when the club began to pull the trigger on Tuchel. 

25 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Where next for Frank then? I can see him taking the Celtic job when Lennon gets sacked. 

You know it makes sense.

There's a higher chance of Freddie Mercury getting the Chelsea job.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Not the first time they've sacked a manager after losing to us in the league :whistling:

Someone was commenting when they played you'll and you'll do have quite a history when it comes to them replacing managers. 

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

Where next for Frank then? I can see him taking the Celtic job when Lennon gets sacked. 

You know it makes sense.

The Championship. He needs to earn his stripes first.

He's got nothing in his resume that indicates he is worthy of anything higher IMO.

Ideally needs to find a club w8th promotion aspirations, similar to when he went to Derby, and have a couple seasons experience.

If they got relegated, and Big Sam fucked off, West Brom wouldn't be a bad starter upper for him actually.

Archived