• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frank Lampard Sacked by Chelsea

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Cazza said:

No, I am talking about a way that 'mixes' the bag a bit.... We have a Franchise system and the draft meaning any team can win the GF (except Carlton and Fremantle) it just makes things more interesting, I feel following soccer is more based on loyalty than ambition for your team? Luton have been promoted since 2014 and done well and we hope we are building to get into the big league but not anytime soon. So the Ambition for Everton is to stay in the Prem or move forward, sometimes it can get comfortable?

Yes I'm Australian.... Why does that matter, I may be a little naive but I'm trying to learn too, I don't mean any offence just observing what others have written and stated and also what is reported in the press. 

I'm not saying it matter, I'm just trying to work out where you're coming from so I can make sense of it. I think the rest has been answered. You need to acknowledge that there's a difference between Everton's aspirations, which was where this conversation started, and what you think Everton are capable of, which is an entirely different thing. I've explained why. A franchise thing isn't relevant in England because football is more about identity than having a chance of winning at the core of any fanbase.

49 minutes ago, Danny said:

I always find this part weird about Everton. Newcastle won most of their league titles before WW1, FA Cups before WW2, one of those clubs that are really only considered big in that they’re a one club city. Aston Villa another club who’s honours list is built up pre-ww1 (bar their success in 1980-82), you then have Spurs who in terms of major silverware weirdly have won almost as much as Everton, just in Cups. 

But Everton were consistent, like Arsenal, always a big club that won major silverware decade upon decade. But throughout my entire lifetime, bar an FA Cup, you’ve been useless. In my eyes you’re a West Ham than don’t get relegated, or you have been. It’s such a drop from what you were. The last 30 years you’ve been no different to a Newcastle, Villa or Leeds who haven’t consistently won silverware in decades. But really you should be around Arsenal’s level.

The comparison between you and Spurs is interesting though, in modern terms they are the bigger club with recent league finishes and the new stadium but overall you edge it with the league titles. But their success in Europe as well as domestic Cups really does hold up, not to turn this into a big club topic but there is a clear divide between Utd Liverpool, Arsenal, you and Spurs and then everyone else.

A litany of reasons, most of this took place before I was old enough to appreciate any of it. I suppose things could have been very different if the Sky revolution and massive amounts of money that went to the elite European clubs came when we were at the top in the 80s but we were very far from that in the early 1990s. Then years of poor marketing of ourselves, poor management and recruitment in general. We avoided relegation on the last day twice in the 1990s. Moyes dragged us out of that bracket of clubs who kept circling the bowl into an established top 7ish side. Without that period we may not have Moshiri's money today, but it came at a cost. Moyes was treated as a messiah for dragging us back to consistent mediocrity and he deserves all the credit he got from outside the club for doing so on the budget he had at his disposal, but the ownership, with the help of Moyes' rhetoric, allowed the plucky underdog tag to become the club's identity and that's the way things have been over the past decade. Then we got rich and people started expecting more of us and we didn't deliver. Martinez, Koeman, Silva were all "could" appointments and ultimately hopes dashed. Bringing Carlo Ancelotti and James Rodriguez to the club is the biggest chance in my lifetime for us to break the mould at last. The club's attitude towards itself finally appears to be a bit different. It's hard to put your finger on what it is but it's started to feel normal to go into games and just get results instead of the old feeling of Everton inevitability, every glimmer of hope getting swiftly extinguished. I won't wax too lyrical because we're a long, long way from shaking off the mediocrity that's dogged us and made us tedious to neutrals for decades now, but it's a start.

Anyway, this is a Chelsea thread isn't it? xD

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Anyway, this is a Chelsea thread isn't it? xD

One of the things I first noticed when I joined the forum was the amount of posts in the Chelsea related threads.

This thread kinda goes some way to explaining why that is the case.xD

As far as the Bluenoses go, obviously they are trying to improve, Ancelotti is a clear indication of this.

To me though, the biggest hurdle EFC have to overcome is the fans obsession with Liverpool FC. They really need to concentrate on their own club rather than obsessing about ours. 

The Bramley-Moore fiasco is a clear indicator of this, I met a bluenose in the summer, I asked him about this new stadium, all he cared about was that it was one seat bigger than Anfield, says everything really.:whistling:

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

To me though, the biggest hurdle EFC have to overcome is the fans obsession with Liverpool FC. They really need to concentrate on their own club rather than obsessing about ours. 

The Bramley-Moore fiasco is a clear indicator of this, I met a bluenose in the summer, I asked him about this new stadium, all he cared about was that it was one seat bigger than Anfield, says everything really.

The fans' obsessions have no impact on the direction of the club or the team.

It's not worth responding to the point that one Everton fan having a bit of fun "says everything". You lot do enjoy patting yourselves on the back about how much we're obsessed with you yet it's you who's quoted me twice in the last 30 minutes to talk about Everton so go figure :ay:.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The fans' obsessions have no impact on the direction of the club or the team.

I think the original spark for this little discussion about Everton was whether Ancelotti's job was easier because of aspirations of Everton fans not the direction Everton are taking?

I had agreed Ancelotti was a move in the right direction but commented that Evertons biggest hurdle was the fans obsession with Liverpool FC.

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not worth responding to the point that one Everton fan having a bit of fun "says everything". You lot do enjoy patting yourselves on the back about how much we're obsessed with you yet it's you who's quoted me twice in the last 30 minutes to talk about Everton so go figure :ay:.

Why would I want to pat myself on the back ffs? If anything I find the obsession a little bit sad. Im not using the Evertonian as some sort of definitive proof of their obsession Im merely saying that's the way things are in Liverpool.

Unlike you Rando I do remember the great Everton sides, preferred the school of science to the dogs of war myself, I don't get any pleasure when Everton struggle, Ive got way too many relatives and mates who support the blues.:ay:

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Evertons biggest hurdle was the fans obsession with Liverpool FC.

This just makes such little sense on so many levels that I don't even know how to challenge it.

The opinions and behaviour of the fans have nothing to do with what the team does on the pitch, the poor recruitment or any of the other factors that have made us bad for so long. Surely you don't need this explaining!?

19 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Why would I want to pat myself on the back ffs? If anything I find the obsession a little bit sad. Im not using the Evertonian as some sort of definitive proof of their obsession Im merely saying that's the way things are in Liverpool.

I was being light hearted not literal about you patting yourself on the back but some of your fans are just as bad as ours are. I do find that the same demographic of Liverpool fans who are utterly convinced that every Everton fan's life revolves around Liverpool are the same ones who make "Everton r shit" Twitter accounts. One of your forums when I was growing up had a thread on there about Everton and how obsessed we are with you. It was pinned to the top of the forum, the longest thread on the whole website apart from possibly the Man Utd thread and not one of them saw the irony of it. Next time you see Sky Sports link an article on Twitter or Facebook about an Everton player in good form or an Everton player saying the ambition is Europe or to win a trophy and you'll see wall to wall Liverpool accounts.

Note that I'm saying "they" and "them", not "you" because I'm not saying you or all Liverpool fans are like that. This behaviour comes with the territory of having a massive fanbase, especially the ones who are online, probably because they're from nowhere near Liverpool so they have to do their business online because they don't have loads of mates all around them to talk to about football. The discussion certainly isn't like that around here except for when our players karate kick each other.

Maybe the Everton fans you know are a bit more rabid than I am but I'm sorry, your original point that our fans' attitude has any impact, let alone the main impact, on the performances of the team for years, is just absolutely mental to me and there's no way you can back it up.

As for the obsession thing, if you're a Liverpool fan coming into a Chelsea thread and talking about Everton before saying that we're obsessed with you surely you can see how you're walking into that one 😘.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Storts said:

FWIW I see Liverpool fans talking about Everton and their obsession far more than I actually see Everton fans talking about Liverpool.  

Agreed. Everton fans I know seem to just be happy about going their way and just trying to get back to be established and competitive on a consistent basis. 

Some Liverpool fans can't get enough of mentioning Everton every 5 minutes.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Many Evertonians in your neck of the woods Storts?:whistling:

There’s a few to be fair. I have three friends that are Everton fans only one Id say talks about Liverpool ha. London’s got it all. Although I’m talking more on the internet. 

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Cazza said:

I feel Everton are capable of much but very possibly underachieve, unless there is trouble with finance where someone just syphons off the cash but this isn't the case surely? Everton are a big club with a big fanbase so not sure why the seasons of underachievement. I'm used to a different system and feel soccer in the UK is deeply cultural than business based but a multi million pound industry all the same. I guess I'm just trying to apply a logic that doesn't fit for soccer but very deep routed in AFL and State cricket. Luton are a small club and the same logic wouldn't apply either as the leagues are a gulf apart but the same cultural ethos would enshrine this logic. I can't even adhere to the Chelsea logic of get rid of him we might lose a game, in a roundabout way all like teams best each other and we have the status que which seemingly looks like stagnation? But then to some teams the Premiership is lucrative and staying thus becomes an achievement .

I'm still not sure what your direction is now but to summarise, I tried to explain on the last page why I think we've under achieved for so long. Mostly a lack of money, an acceptance of mediocrity over a constant risk of relegation and in recent years, having an owner with the cash but not much experience in football who has made some bad decisions.

If you're talking about Everton aiming to stay in the Premier League though I just think that betrays a fundamental lack of knowledge of where things stand in England outside the elite clubs. Finishing 12th last season was our lowest finish since we were 17th back in 2003. There was a time in the late 90s where staying up was our target but it isn't really an issue nowadays. Martinez was sacked for finishing 11th twice, Allardyce was sacked after finishing 8th, the expectations of the current ownership are way above that. The manager openly talks about needing to win trophies and get into the Champions League, a lot of money has been spent getting him into the club.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

INote that I'm saying "they" and "them", not "you" because I'm not saying you or all Liverpool fans are like that.

That's why I tried to explain that Im not a red that waffles on about "bitter blues" Rando. I'm not saying I never have a pop at them but I really can't be arsed with this redshite v blueshite bollocks.

Got too many blue mates, my father in law passed away last year, he was a season ticket holder at Goodison since he was demobbed from the RAF jn the 40's, we would wind each other up all the time but never the bitterness.

I notice on many sites you get the bitters (red and blue) I find that more often than not that the "haters" are often not from Liverpool at all.

We might go on about Everton's "obsession" you lot go on about us all being Irish or Norwegian, neither is true, just a bit of banter mate.B|

18 minutes ago, Storts said:

There’s a few to be fair. I have three friends that are Everton fans only one Id say talks about Liverpool ha. London’s got it all. Although I’m talking more on the internet. 

Im just trying to wrap my head around your claim that you have "got three friends" Storts.xD

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Im just trying to wrap my head around your claim that you have "got three friends" Storts.xD

Look at my post, they all gave me a like. Rando, Stan and Rucksack. Great pals 

10 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Didn't Ancelotti get sacked at Chelsea for only winning the double? 

It was the season after. Chelsea were chasing United for the title, looking back it must have been an ultimatum, ‘we will get you torres but if you do not win the title, you are gone’. Even Wilkins said Ancelotti wanted Torres, but it started going pearshaped with Chelsea when Wilkins was sacked that season. Finished second but not convincingly, you could tell Ancellotti had gotten the last drops of talent out of an ageing squad with the cup league double the season before, and also lost a few of the veterans that helped win previously. Don’t know what they expected from him with a weaker, older squad

10 minutes ago, Cazza said:

It's the shock of Frank leaving Stamford Bridge before most of the Luton town squad.... And yes soccer.... Football is Played on an oval by men in tight shorts.

According to exactly 1/3rd the population of a tiny shithole nation. To the rest of the world it's played by Chavs and south americans in a rectangular cut and paste stadium in London

Archived