Scunthorpe vs Port Vale
Southend vs Bradford
Stevenage vs Colchester
Tranmere vs Harrogate

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Hopefully the Mccarthy era gets off to a great start with a 3-1 win. 

That or at least see an improvement in performance that's badly needed. 

How do you feel about McCarthy?

I'd probably be a bit under-whelmed but there was definitely worse options out there.

1 minute ago, N U F C said:

How do you feel about McCarthy?

I'd probably be a bit under-whelmed but there was definitely worse options out there.

At first I was very underwhelmed (pretty much my first post in the thread was my best summary), but as this is more of an interim position until at least the end of the season, that isn't quite so bad as he should be able to do fine with what we have. 

Long term however, we need to start planning now on who we want and how to progress. As much as I hate to say it, the knobjockeys to the west of us have shown how to plan long term and generally maintain it. 

• Subscriber

Our game was postponed at Barrow. Luckily, Southend lost so we're still not dead bottom of the table. On the same number of games now too so as long as we can match or even beat their next few games, we won't slide below them.

Massive game tonight against Swansea, if we win it gives us a real chance to start building a lead ahead of the playoff spots and that includes Swansea as we have two games in hand currently.

I think they’ll be a bit sore as a fanbase after last season play-off semis, they really don’t like Frank but hopefully it’s a game without any issues, cards or injuries. Just need the win

Good performance so far, Swansea trying to park the bus and hit us on the counter. We’ve had all the ball, possession has been in their defensive third. Not many chances stand out but Rico Henry has a great effort just go wide.

On 25/01/2021 at 18:43, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Hopefully the Mccarthy era gets off to a great start with a 3-1 win. 

That or at least see an improvement in performance that's badly needed. 

Well this is going as badly as can be. 

1-0 to Barnsley and we look as disorganised and clueless as we were under Harris. Really don't understand why Wilson is on the bench as well. 

McCarthy's first game of course, but the performance is concerning. 

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

You will not see a side shit house a point more than Swansea have tonight all season. Genuinely surprised they’re second based on what I’ve watched tonight 

They don't leak a lot of goals in fairness.

Very tough nut to crack.

Ends 1-1. Swansea's goal thanks to the ref not giving a free kick for Jake Bidwell dragging David Raya's arm down, has summed up the night really. I think the simple fact is that even though Swansea have supposedly been a good footballing side this season, Steve Cooper knew they couldn't beat us so had them work for a clean sheet/draw. Their play was reminiscent of a Tony Pulis Stoke in terms of fouling and defending deep, but that is the game of football and you need to try and beat whatever goes in front of you.

The side that can take the most from this game is us, we should have won by about 3 goals but we've had a lot of players returning to duty today after breaks and I think maybe we lacked a sharpness in front of goal that we've had all season. In fact we went 11 days without a game, played Luton and then rested our first teamers for this. Weirdly, taking into account how rammo our schedule was, the break seems to have done us more harm than good.

Swansea really did just sit back, defend, tackle hard, persistently foul and struggle to create anything, it was more of a performance akin to their rivals Cardiff. If I were a Swansea fan I'd be worried by what I just watched, they saw a red towards the end of the game but they played like they had 10 men for 90+ minutes. They did not want to win today, they were playing an automatic promotion rival and they did not want to win today, I can't stress how worrying that would be to see if you were currently second in the league. It does not bode well and I look forward to the coming games where we can try and build up a run of points as we simply have to overtake them based on today's performance, I'll be disappointed if we don't.

The referee has really let us down today, sometimes it's just one kick of the ball that changes the tide of the game for a side that have been battered and he should have seen it. The foul on Raya was a foul, arm pulled down, but not just that, we should have had a penalty for their defender at a corner wrapping his arm around Ivan Toney's neck. Not given, they saw one red card but realistically Toney could have been through 1 on 1 when he was pulled down on the half way line and was only given a yellow. I can't think of everything off of the top of my head, but Bidwell and one other player should have seen at least two yellow cards. It was one of those games, Swansea's gameplan was to simply foul us consistently in the hope that it would make us irate, instead it gave them a goal when they looked out of it.

Swansea fans on social media have surprised me, they were poor consistently tonight and seem to be happy with the result and performance. A lot under the illusion that they didn't turn up, rather than what was very clear was that we outperformed them for 90 minutes. @Lucas think back to your lots game against us at Griffin Park, you had all the ball and direction of the game but created very little and it ended in 1-1 draw. That was today except we created enough to win the game 3-0. But this is football and you can't go through a season without being shithoused, it wouldn't be the beautiful game otherwise.

The good thing about today is that our unbeaten run continues, we took a point away at 2nd place Swansea, looked like we could have won the game by 2-3 goals, played an almost flawless game of football bar Sorensen giving away the free-kick that led to their goal and we're finally out of all of the Cups. All of them, less fixture congestion, just the Championship. And we still have the man, myth the legend Christian Norgaard to eventually come back from his injury, he's made one or two returns in the last month or so, jsut need to find consistency with him.

Oh yeah Andre Ayew feigned a bloody nose, with no blood, and Swansea put a bandage around his nose, with no blood. I cannot tell you how much they did not want to attempt to win the game today xD Suppose we should take that as a compliment, imagine Cooper’a still having nightmares after the play-off semi-final.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived