talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

AFC Wimbledon Could Appoint Emma Hayes

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I know it's not your intention to just speak about Peru but that's not representative of every footballer across the globe. Now I'm not saying that every footballer has an education or is super clever, but there are some very educated footballers over here, those who have studied while playing. Plenty have university degrees, and not just in sport or football. Not everyone is a neanderthal like that guy you posted above.

Again, a quick Google shows:

Iniesta has a couple of degrees in Sports Science and Business

Chiellini has one in Economics.

Kompany has one in Business.

Mata with Sports Science and Finance.

And cos it's Leicester I know Ndidi has one in Business.

Tomori has Business Management degree.

Mignolet has Law and Political Sciences.

I'm sure there's plenty more that probably don't publicise it or are currently studying. I don't buy the notion that footballers are uneducated folk.

There are actually plenty of footballers in Peru who are studying as well, but it's mostly the rich folk in the country. You mentioned a couple of Europeans. It's very true that some footballers are educated folk, I'd say more of them aren't. I am just speaking for the reality of football in third world countries. 

Of course, in Europe which is the subject at hand, the squad will contain of mostly Europeans. However, there will be a lot of Latin American and African talents as well who don't have the same fortune. At least not until they make their fortune by playing the sport.

Anyways in conclusion I don't disagree with women managing the sport, I just disagree with them being shoehorned in as it could cause problems along the road. Think sports science needs to be present before anything.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ToonFan said:

I've been to hundreds of football matches, hence my careful wording of the suggestion, not current practice. You can of course drink out of the sight of the pitch hence the suggestion that we should change that so you can only buy booze at half time if this idea was to come in.

But that's because the quality is shite, with the right infrastructure and more money the quality would improve. A bit like how the men's games quality has improved with money and infrastructure - who'd have though the two fundamentals of good business would improve a sport!!! 

Another bad suggestion. 

9 hours ago, Mpache said:

Take a look at this example @Stan

This is Charles Monsalvo, who got aggressive with his manager Marcelo Grioni 2 years ago for being subbed off.

I'll let you translate it on your own. Here is the link: https://depor.com/futbol-peruano/descentralizado/sport-huancayo-marcelo-grioni-y-charles-monsalvo-manos-pesar-del-triunfo-fotos-y-video-70271/

Monsalvo sobre incidente con Grioni: "Solo hubo empujones y palabras" |  DEPORTES | PERU21

If this happened with a female manager, the law could get involved, and nobody wants that. And these footballers aren't the kind to not do this just because the manager is female. We've seen footballers be abusive to women before. This is partially why I don't think it's time yet for this sort of shift.

The law could be involved if the bloke getting strangled wanted it to. I’m not sure on the point there. 

14 hours ago, ToonFan said:

Not at all, you sell tickets for the games to the crowd who'd normally go and then give everyone else the option of paying £5-10 extra or less on their match ticket to watch the woman's game and fill the empty seats in the stadium. I'd imagine a lot more mens football fans would hang around, or go up early for a woman's football match if it back to backed with the men's game.  It wouldn't be any more difficult for woman's football fans to go to the games. 

A backwards sentiment shared by the FA and various football experts. It's nothing to do with gender,  it's to do with experience in the game, men and woman's football are different.

Actually, that was the case with the DFB-Pokal finals in Germany,where the women's final was played at the same venue shortly before the men's final. It was the women, who complained this method would degrade the woman's game to a mere appendage to men's football. You see, that idea of having a woman's match beforehand of a man's obviously has a flip side.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Actually, that was the case with the DFB-Pokal finals in Germany,where the women's final was played at the same venue shortly before the men's final. It was the women, who complained this method would degrade the woman#S game to a mere appendage to men's football. You see, that idea of having a woman's match beforehand of a man's obviously has a flip side.

I don't think he will see that xD 

47 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

Well of course it would if you only did it for the finals and didn't bother for the rest of the tournament. It would need to be all or nothing.

The point is, it would alway be a mere appendage to the main event; men’s football, regardless of whether it was a one-off or weekly. 

• Administrator

I don't understand this bit of what she's saying:

"This is not a conversation about Emma Hayes and AFC Wimbledon, but we should be having larger conversations about creating opportunities across the diverse spectrum so that opportunities in the men's game are not limited to those in the privileged positions."

Was this not an opportunity for her and not someone in a privileged position?

Also @ToonFan what is there to apologise for? You're the one who thinks only women should manage in the women's league and men in the men's league? 

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

Where did I say  I wanted you to apologise specifically? It was targeted at those who explicitly stated it was a step down. Which many did. 

Here.

54 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

You should be apologising for constantly insinuating woman's football is a step down from mens football as many did in this thread when I suggested her going to AFC Wimbledon would send that message to her players, when she's come out to say the opposite.

You need the context of the previous paragraphs to understand what she's saying, she's suggesting that there's other people in women's football who would be capable of taking positions in men's game due to having right management skills but she's widen that out to other discriminatory factors with the woke euphemism for white males in their 50s an ex-male professional footballers.  

For everyone's convenience I've highlighted the bit most posters in this thread should be apologising to me for.... as I said it's not a step down to women's super league from league one and to phrase it that way is an insult to her current female players. 

So does Emma Hayes think she's too good for AFC Wimbledon?

If she was ever to move in to the men's game, its probably the most ideal first starting step she could wish for regardless of the divison. She would have been seen as a 'long term project' at a club she is familiar with. 

I think its a shame it hasn't happened.

Archived