talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Team of the Year (Halfway stage)

Seeing as we've just crept over the halfway stage of the season, if you had to name your Team of the Season so far, who would it be?

Maybe you have some surprises for your own reasons. This would be me though.

GK - Martinez (Aston Villa)

RB - Cancelo (Man City)

CB - Dias (Man City)

CB - Fofana (Leicester)

LB - Robertson (Liverpool)

M - De Bruyne (Man City)

M - Bruno (Man Utd)

M - Grealish (Aston Villa)

F - Son (Spurs)

F - Kane (Spurs)

F - Salah (Liverpool)

Personally, I think Martinez has transformed Villa. It's no coincidence the clean sheets have wracked up there compared to last season now they have a solid keeper.

Cancelo has been a revelation in his second season at City to the point, he plays just as much at LB as he does on his prefered RB slot that you wouldn't know the difference. And the attacking positions he takes up are incredible. Such an improved player.

Dias has transformed City. He is the Kompany replacement they have so desperately wanted. Second person on Pep's Team Sheet after KDB. My signing of the Year to date.

Fofana is yet another example of a player Leicester have picked up in Europe for a fee he's well on his way to doubling. For such a young lad, he is strong as an ox, very athletic and great speed too. No disrespect to Leicester but he'll be another that will sell for £50/60/70m in due course.

Whilst Trent has had mixed fortunes, Robertson has been pretty dependable again on the LB slot for Liverpool and consistently above anyone else over the season to date. I'd give a special mention to James Justin though at Leicester who has been playing out of position for a lot of this season and yet arguably forced his way into Leicester's First Choice options now.

De Bruyne has once again carried the burden as Man City's main man and chief creator and up to his recent injury, was again showing why he is probably the best player in this division.

Bruno is heavily pushing for Player of the Season at the moment with 11 goals and 7 assists. Proved that the second half of last season was no fluke by continuing where he left off.

Grealish is a bit like marmite, you like him or hate him. Either way, there is no doubt he has looked much better for Villa now that he has some actual help around him. Signing Barkley has helped push Grealish further forward and signing Watkins has provided him someone to link with and assist to, all coincided with his England call up.

Son has had a tremendous season to date. Yes, a lot of that is down to his partnership with Kane but he's still posting impressive numbers and has been the best in his position so far when compared to your Mane's and Sterling's.

Kane is probably in a tussle with Bruno for Player of the Year right now for me. I think what's impressed me is the amount of goals he has assisted as a striker, and to actually be ahead of KDB in that department says all you need to know. Spurs cannot live without him and it's a shame he has picked up another ankle injury at a time he was looking back to his best.  

There is genuine shout for someone like Calvert-Lewin here because he has been the shining light for Everton but ultimately, it's got to be Salah. 15 goals, 3 ahead of his nearest rival for a team that has had a few injuries to contend with is mightly impressive and yet, I think his best is still to come. Frightening.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Martinez

Justin - Dias - Fofana - Robertson

De Bruyne - Soucek

Salah - Fernandes - Grealish

Kane

Martinez - similar to @Lucas, a key cog in Villa's success so far this season, above a lot of people's expectations no doubt. Villa have generally bought well I think - getting a solid reliable keeper in has definitely helped.

Justin - his transformation from League One last season to being thrown in to our side due to injuries has actually been a blessing in disguise. So versatile as well which has helped massively - has played across the whole of the back line and performed very well in each position. Thought we were screwed without Ricardo but Justin has come in and filled his boots well

Dias - finally Pep has been able to get a defender for big money who actually performs well and adds to the team. Gives that defence the kind of solidity that Kompany provided.

Fofana - only just turned 20 and playing like a seasoned pro at his peak. Imposes himself as a very confident and dominant player. Good with the ball too. Shame he's just got injured :( 

Robertson - so reliable for Liverpool and is still an attacking threat unlike TAA who seems to have stalled a little? Anyway, Robertson is quite comfortably the best LB in the league when it comes to dominating that side of the pitch and contributing defensively and when attacking.

Soucek - one of West Ham's best buys. Aerial threat, goalscoring midfielder and a big presence in midfield. 

De Bruyne - back to being Man City's stand-out player and best player on the pitch most games. Great to watch as you know he'll control games and not go missing.

Salah - Still delivers even when the rest of the team are lacking. Especially in last couple of games it's like seeing him how he was last season, basically unstoppable. 

Fernandes - mad to think without him, Man Utd would be hovering in mid-table. His goals and assists are ridiculous. Hate the cunt but you can't deny he does give his all and get the rewards for it (must ignore the diving...).

Grealish - tough to leave Son out here because of his partnership with Kane but ironically without Kane, Son goes missing. Grealish is just really, really good, even if others around him don't perform. He's constantly running, trying to create for the whole match. Always tries to get a goal out of nothing and as much as Martinez has been good in goal, Grealish at the front has been equally successful for Villa.

Kane - best striker in the league; similar to Grealish can create something out of nothing and always a threat in the air or with either feet. 12 goals and 11 assists is quality.

The near-misses
Son, Mings, Tielemans, Cancelo, Calvert-Lewin, Barnes, Pope, Ings, Ward-Prowse, Watkins...

Archived