talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 0-1 Brighton - Wednesday 3rd February, 2021

football forum

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf the squad is pretty depleted and it's not the first time that Jones has been used as a replacement for one of the front 3. 

With Minamino being sent out on loan rather than Divock... tbf to go out on loan you need someone to actually want to take a punt on you. We probably should have sold Divock after the cult hero season, where he's rightfully written his name in our history books in capital letters, but that was probably the peak of his value. What have we seen from him other than that season? Not a whole lot tbh.

I don't think we've got much of a chance at beating City on Sunday. And even if we do, I still think we'll be in a fight for top 4 and City will comfortably win the league this season.

Imo our season started unraveling very very early on... and I honestly can't ever remember us having an injury crisis like what we've experienced this season. So chances are, I think this is going to be a very frustrating season compared to the highs we've experienced over the past few years. It's already been a much harder season than the past 3 seasons.

Idk how you can say that so emphatically. It's a team sport. This is a player that we were told would help us get passed sides that play a low block. Yet sides that play a low block are pretty much guaranteed a decent performance against us, if not a decent result - regardless of how much we keep the ball or how much we "create" if we aren't creating anything clear cut.

Everyone's got to do better when the team is playing that poorly.

allison taa  gomez vvd robertson thiago henderson/gini  fabinho mane salah jota. do you think that team would lose back to back home games to burnley and brighton. i dont think so. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

allison taa  gomez vvd robertson thiago henderson/gini  fabinho mane salah jota. do you think that team would lose back to back home games to burnley and brighton. i dont think so. 

Jota returning provides some hope. He was the difference in a few games earlier in the season.

Firmino is incredibly frustrating in that sort of form

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Jota returning provides some hope. He was the difference in a few games earlier in the season.

Firmino is incredibly frustrating in that sort of form

firmino is finished imo. the guy has never scored enough goals but now the good parts to his game have gone. 

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

To be fair Thiago hasn't once started a game with the players everyone thought he would have by now. Instead of Fabinho, Hendo, Kieta etc, he's been playing most games in which we've been crap with a 35 year, a lad just from the under 21's... basically a makeshift team. He also hasn't had the security that VVD etc provide.

I wouldn't be ruling Thiago out just yet. He's going to turn out a fantastic signing.

I'm not ruling him out - I just think it's a bit weird how certain players get called out when it's not like other, more favoured, players are contributing much more.

Everyone's playing like crap in a makeshift team. I feel like the people who are most surprised are the people who were telling us earlier in the season that there was no way Liverpool weren't by far and away the favourites this season, rather than most Liverpool fans.

Is it surprising the more makeshift this team looks, the more crap it looks? No, not really. Take out any sides best player and they'll struggle. Take 2 out all of a side's senior defenders and they'll struggle. Putting the 2 best midfielders of that side into defense will impact that midfield too... so it'll struggle more. Take a world class player in Mane out of an attack that's not getting as good of service as it's not used to and that'll struggle more.

Not much we can do but hope Davies and the Turkish kid can come in and do well ASAP, so we can push Henderson and Fabinho back into midfield and get closer to stability. But both Davies and Kabak are also gambles and they're not really settled so it'll still probably feel like a makeshift side.

But if everyone's playing badly, why let the usual names take all the heat? Everyone's playing a bit shit, everyone can take some heat.

What's so frustrating is that we've played 2 games in the last week  where we looked like we were back close to our best. Firmino was great, Gini controlled the midfield, Salah scored three goals, Alexander-Arnold looked to have found his radar. Even Nat Phillips looked quality

Then today we're back to being total dogshit again. What happened?

7 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yeah, fair play to Brighton. We could have played on for days and wouldn’t have scored.

Definitely. Id hate to watch Brighton every week but you can't deny they had a plan and they executed it well.

Its kinda frustrating listening to some of the comments out there, ie teams now know how to play against us? Its daft, the weaker sides played exactly the same way against us last season too, the only difference is we weren't missing most of our key players and playing half of the others out of position.

If I were Jurgen I'd roll the dice against City, play the two new lads at CB and try and play as many in their normal positions that we are able.:what:

5 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

What's so frustrating is that we've played 2 games in the last week  where we looked like we were back close to our best. Firmino was great, Gini controlled the midfield, Salah scored three goals, Alexander-Arnold looked to have found his radar. Even Nat Phillips looked quality

Then today we're back to being total dogshit again. What happened?

an inconsistent team will always give you inconsistent results mate. a fully fit squad with a bit of confidence liverpool are still the best team in the world. forget the trolls mate. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator
Just now, LFCMike said:

He started ball work today I think. No date but shouldn't be too much longer

After next Saturday hopefully. Loves a goal against us. 

16 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There really just aren't any rules this season are there? Form, momentum, logic, forget about it.

Am I missing something? These all apply? We've been in bad form for at least a month now. We've lost most of our momentum. Logic dictates the more you chop and change a side... the more shit it'll probably be & we've got a pretty makeshift side currently.

I think Liverpool are suffering mental fatigue, a bit like Man City last season.

Liverpool almost battered them into submission with their unbeaten run and City just got to the stage they became mentally defeated and couldn't find that fight anymore. Then they kept having regular slip ups. They set the bar so high initially they couldn't keep it up. This happens to everyone.

Now it's Liverpool struggling whilst City are looking rock solid with that drive and hunger again. It was inevitable.

It's not just injuries with Liverpool, it's not. Yes they have had some bad luck with that but they still aren't the same hungry side they were. They should never be losing to your Burnley and Brighton's and drawing with West Brom and Newcastle.

But they are mentally fucked. They put so much into the last couple years with the Champions League win, going so close the first time in the league then winning last year. And it all just catches up with you eventually. So much emotion.

They haven't even had that break to really reset and enjoy the league win properly because no one has been able to go on a fucking proper holiday 😂 We've pretty much rolled into a new season where the challenge is relentless playing two games a week and its all become too much.

You see it with Klopp. He looks emotionally battered. He's been so easy for the press to wind up this season, the bloke needs a break as does his team. He's made the loudest noises about the pressure of this season and i think its transmitted through to the team.

They will keep going, course they will, but they don't have the stomach for the fight this year and to be frank, I do think its understandable.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Am I missing something? These all apply? We've been in bad form for at least a month now. We've lost most of our momentum. Logic dictates the more you chop and change a side... the more shit it'll probably be & we've got a pretty makeshift side currently.

Logic doesn't dictate that a side who just went and beat two decent sides pretty emphatically away from home would then go and throw in a result like this against Brighton. It's even more strange than the Burnley one because at least sides like them and say Crystal Palace or an Allardyce-led West Brom have an element of the sucker punch about them. I'd not really have said that of Brighton, but here we are I suppose. It's not just Liverpool either, it's everywhere. Man Utd have lost at home to Sheffield United and battered someone 9-0 in the space of two weeks, Leicester seem to look like the most potent side in the league after Man City but then get slapped around by Leeds, it just feels impossible to know whether any team is coming or going this season.

17 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Logic doesn't dictate that a side who just went and beat two decent sides pretty emphatically away from home would then go and throw in a result like this against Brighton. It's even more strange than the Burnley one because at least sides like them and say Crystal Palace or an Allardyce-led West Brom have an element of the sucker punch about them. I'd not really have said that of Brighton, but here we are I suppose. It's not just Liverpool either, it's everywhere. Man Utd have lost at home to Sheffield United and battered someone 9-0 in the space of two weeks, Leicester seem to look like the most potent side in the league after Man City but then get slapped around by Leeds, it just feels impossible to know whether any team is coming or going this season.

No doubt about it, it's been a strange unprecedented season.:|

I feel like Liverpool are giving as much of a shit about football as I am lately.

For me it's the pandemic, the empty stadiums and this horrible monotonous lethargy that's set in throughout most of society from COVID and lockdown fatigue.

Maybe that's Liverpool's problem too. Struggling to develop the same fury and intensity as before...

Archived