talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Captain Tom Moore Dies Aged 100

football forum

• Subscriber

R.I.P. Sir Tom our thoughts go out to the loved ones you left behind, this great man deserves his own thread.

Covid-19: Captain Sir Tom Moore dies with coronavirus

_111818406_hi061082796.jpg

Captain Sir Tom Moore has died with coronavirus.

The 100-year-old, who raised almost £33m for the NHS, was taken to Bedford Hospital after requiring help with his breathing on Sunday.

His daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore said he had been treated for pneumonia over the past few weeks and last week tested positive for Covid-19.

The Army veteran won the nation's hearts by walking 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55881753

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Obituary: Tom Moore, a hero who gave a nation hope

101416410_download(2).thumb.png.ca4119e89f6a49864c6a1e11a6f054ea.png

At times of crisis, a nation needs hope and heroes.

Sometimes, they're found in unlikely places - and when Britain first locked down against the coronavirus pandemic, it discovered Captain Tom.

In April 2020 the then 99-year-old war veteran accepted a little family challenge: to raise £1,000 for health service charities by walking 100 lengths of his garden before his 100th birthday at the end of that month.

"One small soul like me won't make much difference," he declared in his first TV interview.

He could not have been more wrong.

By the time he closed his fundraising page at midnight on his 100th birthday, Captain Tom had raised more than £32m from more than one-and-a-half-million global donors.

But that was just the beginning - a knighthood, RAF flypast to mark him turning 100 and personal greetings from the Queen and prime minister soon followed.

And he even became the oldest person ever to score a number one single in the UK, when he and Michael Ball sang a cover of You'll Never Walk Alone

Yorkshire grit

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

This is a real shame, what he did last year was brilliant, I wish there was more of that in the world.

It's extra horrible because it puts a face back on the numbers that emerge every day that we've pretty much all become at least partially numb to. 

There's an outpouring of sympathy for his family. This is one story and a very public one. We should have as much sympathy for the families of all 2,240,000 victims of the virus across the world. We've heard a lot about how it's mainly older and vulnerable people who die from this, but that's 2,240,000 groups of friends and family who have had a loved one taken from them too soon, whether they'd have lived 30 minutes or 30 years longer without catching it.

That's what I find the most upsetting about it. A year ago, or not much less, we were hearing these individual stories every day and it really made it hit home, this is the first one that's really cut through in a while I think and it just reminds you how much pain and grief we've suffered across the world in the last year, it's truly staggering.

Archived