The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 0-1 Chelsea - Thursday 4th February, 2021

football forum

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Do people still not rate Mount?

Been our best player now for two seasons despite all the money spent.

I can't say that I have ever seen anything negative written about him but then I suppose if a lot of it's coming from Twitter or Facebook then I wouldn't.. 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

I can't say that I have ever seen anything negative written about him but then I suppose if a lot of it's coming from Twitter or Facebook then I wouldn't.. 

End product lacking but I don't really see him as an attacking midfielder either. Great to see Tuchel see how important he is as well. 

I never saw Alonso coming back in from the cold but two matches in a row now, fairly solid too. Tuchel seems to like him.

Feels like he wants the right balance of youth and experience and perhaps he was concerned Lampard's side originally leaned more towards the youth side, hence why he's changed it up.

• Subscriber

Honestly, this is such a miserable existence. This football club is going one direction at the moment, and it's not up.

Demoralising performance again. We just do not set up to play football. It's low block and hope Sonny can do something special on the break. There is no attacking plan, no shape, no movement, no pass and move, no progressive football. Nothing that suggests he is building something, or that he wants to get the best out of the players we have. Two holding mids on for 90 minutes when you're chasing a game. Taking off the one footballer in that midfield three that can pass a ball, but unfortunately has no options at all because our forwards are being asked to sit just in front of our fullbacks. A backup striker completely isolated, but also just at the club as a favour to his agent. 

What Mourinho can't directly influence is the amount of unforced errors we make, so many goals given away at our own doing - but at the same time, we know they're crap so why set up a system that relies so much on keeping it tight and trying to take one of the very few chances you get. It's no surprise we keep losing by a single goal or two, because the margins for getting it right are so tight.

I want to say, so many players are playing below their level, or not good enough for us. Lloris' refusal to come off his line puts us under so much pressure from set plays where we concede a lot of our goals. Dier keeps making mistakes, I've defended him so much but we can't build a defence around a player that costs us a goal every other game. Davies is so average, a back up left back and when Reggy doesn't play the drop off is enormous. Toby is still our best CB but clearly not the player he was a few years ago. It's made to think that Aurier is by far and away our best player in that back 4 at the moment - and we all know he has an error in him too. Sissoko is good in certain games, but his inability to play football costs us and that lack of passer in CM means me are unable to get the ball forward effectively. We need a healthy Dele or Lo Celso back in the 10 so we can drop Tanguy back into the 8. (This also includes a new manager because lets be honest the style will not change under Jose). Bergwijn is completely ineffective in this system despite being a quality footballer. Son similarly when he doesn't have someone like Kane who can create out of nothing for him. We are so reliant on one man because we have no attacking structure and he's a superstar that just brings people into the game.

Ultimately though, it's not good enough. The manager will not change - the game has passed him by. The players are not putting the effort in, they're not buying into this anymore and I can't honestly blame them. There needs to be a major shake up. We need a new progressive manager - we need an overhaul of the squad - and we need it soon or we risk losing all the progress we've made as a club.

I think Levy was probably banking on getting back into the CL next year, the finances I'm sure demand it - but it's so far away from happening. 

I know our fans talk about trophies - and the last 30 years have been embarrassing for a club of our size, but honestly what matters more to me is the enjoyment of football, the buy in you get when fans can really get behind the team, the identity and style to our play that makes you want to watch. It's non-existent right now and as much as I'd love a league cup, or FA cup, or any trophy, it's not worth it to have to watch what we are being served up right now. There's little enjoyment even in victory - and I know Manchester United fans know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm just delighted I'm not wasting thousands of pounds having to go see this at the moment, because today was just another in a long line of performances where you know from minute one we are going to be second best. 

Something needs to change, and something needs to change fast. COYS

• Subscriber

The biggest problem with Mourinho will always be that as soon as his methods stop yielding results there's nothing left to inspire the fans and nothing left to defend.

I've been probably one of the biggest Mourinho apologists since his second spell at Chelsea which seemed to be the beginning of his downward spiral. A lot of fans that he'd offended in the past, mostly Liverpool, Arsenal and possibly a bit of Man City, piled in pretty quick, I wasn't really arsed either way and actually his sense of mischief made me want to see him succeed again. Now I've got to hold my hands up and say it was naive to view it as a realistic prospect.

I'm not a Spurs fan, I don't have any soft spot for them either, but I'm really starting to feel a bit fed up with Mourinho. I got back in the car after football training tonight (sorry lads) and saw that Chelsea had gone a goal ahead, it was half time and I knew without Kane that the game would end 0-1. As a fan I had this feeling with Ronald Koeman and then Sam Allardyce in the same season. Just wanted it to end and no longer feel a sense of frustration and boredom with my club even in the games we won.

For Spurs it's probably worth hanging on for now because there's every chance they could win one of the domestic cups and they can get a long overdue trophy under their belts but I totally get the frustration.

@Storts

What tends to happen with Mourinho as well is that once those chances or goals dry up, you start leaking goals as well. It's not necessarily that anything has changed defensively, it's still the same protective structure and conservative game plan but because you can't get ahead in games any more, the players start to doubt themselves, lose confidence, and stupid mistakes start happening at the back. It doesn't matter if you're well-drilled defensively, the fact that you can't create anything means that the opposition grows in confidence and you start looking bad at both ends of the pitch.

If I remember correctly Mourinho's second spell with us when things started to go bad, what shocked me most was the lack of movement when he had the ball, we looked clueless in attack and almost mentally blocked. Very similar to your performance tonight.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

@Storts

What tends to happen with Mourinho as well is that once those chances or goals dry up, you start leaking goals as well. It's not necessarily that anything has changed defensively, it's still the same protective structure and conservative game plan but because you can't get ahead in games any more, the players start to doubt themselves, lose confidence, and stupid mistakes start happening at the back. It doesn't matter if you're well-drilled defensively, the fact that you can't create anything means that the opposition grows in confidence and you start looking bad at both ends of the pitch.

If I remember correctly Mourinho's second spell with us when things started to go bad, what shocked me most was the lack of movement when he had the ball, we looked clueless in attack and almost mentally blocked. Very similar to your performance tonight.

I mean that’s entirely accurate and exactly what is happening with us right now. We are completely clueless going forward and struggle massively with concentrating throughout the game defensively. Levy won’t sack him though 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, MUFC said:

When you look at Dier, you see somebody without a brain cell in him. 

It’s weird cause he’s a very intelligent bloke - but on the football pitch just makes so many stupid decisions 

• Subscriber

I can't tell if he's just sitting up the way he does because he doesn't trust your defenders, but even so it's miserable stuff, such a far cry from earlier in the season. I was suckered in somewhat, I didn't think it would unravel quite this quickly.

Is this a case of Mourinho not caring even more than he used to about quality of play throughout the game as long as he reduces the opposition to barely anything on goal, or is this consistent with his previous expectations (granted this Spurs side are a lot shitter than Real Madrid, Inter, Chelsea and Porto) and his style of play has just been made to look even worse nowadays thanks to the way in which both Pep and Klopp have revolutionised the game

Archived