talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Roma Have Mahrez Bid Rejected

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Got nothing but thanks to Mahrez. I don't blame him for wanting to move on and this is his full statement, which I also have no gripes with

Out of the huge admiration and respect I hold for Leicester City Football Club I wanted to be totally honest and transparent with them and have therefore informed the club that I feel now is the time for me to move on.

"I had a good discussion with the Chairman last summer and we agreed at that time that I would stay for another year in order to help the club as best as I could following the transition of winning the title and in the Champions League.

"However, I am fiercely ambitious and feel that now is the time to move on to a new experience.

"I've always enjoyed a good relationship with the Chairman and everyone at the club, and I hope I have been able to repay the faith shown to me by my performances and commitment on the pitch during my time here.

"I've had the four best seasons of my career at Leicester and have loved every moment. I feel immense pride to have been a part of what we have achieved during my time at the club, culminating in becoming Premier League Champions.

"The relationship I share with the club and our amazing fans is something I will treasure forever and I truly hope they will understand and respect my decision."

The goals, the assists, the trickery, the magic. Gave us so many special moments. May have gone down a little this season (probably knowing he wanted to move) but can't fault him for what he did in getting us out of the Championship, staying up, and definitely all he did to help us win the Premier League.

Signed him for £400k. Genuinely, in this market, wouldn't accept anything less than £40m. Don't think it's that unrealistic to ask for that kind of fee. 

Good luck to him wherever he ends up though. Would prefer it to be abroad!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

If Sakho is going for £30million, he's worth at least £60million ^_^

reminds me that Sissoko went for £30m to Spurs as well. Maybe was being too low with the £40m!

This was sort of expected, bad news for Leicester and I don't think they'll get £40mil for him although like someone said that wouldn't be too unrealistic in the current market.

He wants to stay in England too.

I think it's good he stayed, Leicester may have gotten a bigger sum for him last year but even if they didn't do too hot in England, he proved he could play on the european stage in the UCL. His value couldn't have dipped more than a few million over 35 mil at this point. 

Real question is who is going to pick him up?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

reminds me that Sissoko went for £30m to Spurs as well. Maybe was being too low with the £40m!

I've had a lad at work spend the day convincing me if we get a penny over £15mil we've done well xD

I suppose it depends how much goodwill he built up as a player in 2015/16. Can people overlook what happened last year with him and fancy themselves to get from him what we got that year? All it takes is one club.

I think even despite what happened with him that season, we aren't the team who will bring the best out of him. He could go to another club where he'll have to do less defensive work. It's a myth he doesn't track back, granted he hasn't got the work rate of say Marc Albrighton, but for a player of his style he's not exactly lazy. The constant berating of him from some areas for certain things is indactive of where this country is going wrong with football for me. Don't drag a genuine talent down by stifling him through your own tactics - make the opposition have to stifle him by building around him.

I expected him to leave this summer and his body language towards the end was disappointing, but he knew he was off so it's kind of natural. Maybe I'm a mug for not going in on him for it but he's given us enough to wish him well. I don't think we're going to bring out the best in him anymore and if he wants to be elsewhere then good luck to him. He didn't jump at the first opportunity (although in hindsight he probably should've), signed a new deal without a release clause meaning we'll get more for him and still gave us a decent year. Myth that he's been rubbish. Ten goals isn't amazing but it isn't rubbish either, and he's still easily our most creative player.

I want to see him go to Monaco. That's the club he's been linked with and it's a good fit. He speaks the language, they play attacking football and have a void in that position now that Bernardo has gone. They play in the Champions League which he wants and he won't be against us. They might pay us a bit as well.

Thanks for everything. The most gifted player I have ever seen at the club. An absolute joy to watch on song and I hope his new club can bring that out of him.

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Is this the same kermit that thinks Darren Randolph is better than Manuel Neuer?

Correct. He's a good lad but he's so anti-Leicester I can't be arsed.

9 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Sounds like Leicester wan't to keep Mahrez enslaved 

I think they'll let him leave especially if it's abroad to Monaco, I don't think they want to have a whole thing drag out like Tottenham had with Modric.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I'd like to think Leicester City have prepared for this scenario. It's the rumour of Demari Gray possibly moving on that baffles me.

So would I. I'd guess we have targets lined up. Getting them in however? Another matter altogether.

We need to demonstrate dramatic improvement in this area. Last summer and January were a disgrace.

On 2017-5-30 at 9:49 PM, RandoEFC said:

Bookies have him off to Monaco 

That´d be interesting, I´d like it to happen but Monaco has adopted a different transfer strategy since their owner divorced. It wouldn´t surprise me if he ended up at PSG or Milan. 

• Subscriber

Still don't trust AC Milan. Massive club but there's clearly something fundamentally wrong at that club. The good news for us there is that they have big money, do they not?

I've just had some money on him to stay here at 7/1. I think that's a big price considering everything. Who exactly is he going to?

I'm not even sure that's a scenario that suits us either because I'm no believer in keeping players who want to be elsewhere.

Milan's financial clout still remains a bit of a mystery. They did just bring in Kessie, but on a two year loan deal and then only after that will they actually purchase him. If Leicester are looking for a big fee, Milan will not be a club that will pay it up front.

With the wages that he must be on, they can only be a select band of clubs that will be able to afford him. And I think that would effectively rule out a move to Italy.

As soon as the news came out, I thought it was inevitable that he'd be off to one of the moneyed French teams.

• The title was changed to Roma Have Mahrez Bid Rejected

Archived