talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Roma Have Mahrez Bid Rejected

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Vardy was sensational at times that season. 

Would I want him? Nope. 

Morgan etc looked like brick wall CB's, but they aren't really. 

It was a freak season from Leicester and their players went on a freak purple patch, every one of them. 

Im not dissing Leicester btw because it was brilliant but if you think their POTY is a better option than Pedro then you are off your nut. 

Wasn't just our POTY. Whole league's POTY. Quite significantly benefits from having someone as good as Kante in the side which, hey presto, he'd have at Chelsea. I'm not sure he's better than Pedro but Pedro's spent his career playing in great sides. Mahrez has spent only one year playing in one. I'd be interested to see how he got on at Chelsea and I'd confidently say he'll shut our fans up who say good riddance.

Vardy was very good in the second half of the season just gone as well. 9 goals in 13 in the league under Shakespeare. If we have a good summer and plug our gaps I'd back him to get 20 again next year. Granted the first is a very big 'if'.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Think people have been put off by his poor season last year, the price tag and the uncertainty around his effort when the going gets tough. Should have seen the comments from Leicester fans about his performances in games last year - not complimentary. I'd avoid at all costs.

28 minutes ago, Storts said:

Think people have been put off by his poor season last year, the price tag and the uncertainty around his effort when the going gets tough. Should have seen the comments from Leicester fans about his performances in games last year - not complimentary. I'd avoid at all costs.

But the whole team done badly and a player of his type will feel it even more as he needs the team to be functioning well and with confidence to bring out his best football.  If he goes to a side with many more players of his ilk then there's no doubt he'll flourish because he is a very talented player.  The only thing I question with him is his fighting spirit like for example what we have at Arsenal with Mesut Özil...  Imagine having two players like that on the field!

• Subscriber

Agree with Storts. For the money touted, is Mahrez the sort of player you want to be bringing in to the trenches with you? Quality player no doubt and probably fine going into a team with real backbone throughout the side but not so much Arsenal :P .

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Roma Have Mahrez Bid Rejected
  • Administrator

2nd bid made, but still laughablly low. £27m. I'm not sure Roma understand Premier League Transfer valuations. If they want him it's going to be more than they're prepared to pay, at least €45m. Don't expect Roma to get anywhere with this to be honest.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Batard said:

2nd bid made, but still laughablly low. £27m. I'm not sure Roma understand Premier League Transfer valuations. If they want him it's going to be more than they're prepared to pay, at least €45m. Don't expect Roma to get anywhere with this to be honest.

agree with this. I find it ironic that it was labelled as a 'take it or leave it' offer by their director of football, Monchi. We'll take the latter option then xD

• Administrator
Just now, Stan said:

agree with this. I find it ironic that it was labelled as a 'take it or leave it' offer by their director of football, Monchi. We'll take the latter option then xD

I think Monchi is perhaps hoping that Mahrez will rock the boat to make the transfer to happen, but equally Monchi is showing himself to be a little out of step with the transfer environment.

• Administrator
Just now, Batard said:

I think Monchi is perhaps hoping that Mahrez will rock the boat to make the transfer to happen, but equally Monchi is showing himself to be a little out of step with the transfer environment.

thing is, Mahrez has already made his statement but along with that, has kind of retracted somewhat saying he's fine to stay if no clubs come in for him. Perhaps it will be a bit of a reality check with no-one offering enough for him.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

thing is, Mahrez has already made his statement but along with that, has kind of retracted somewhat saying he's fine to stay if no clubs come in for him. Perhaps it will be a bit of a reality check with no-one offering enough for him.

This is probably the worst summer for any club trying to sniff out a proven player for a bargain price.

Mahrez in the form he was at when Leicester won the league is easily better than Willian or Pedro. Both are good players that can consistently offer something but neither have ever been special players. It's crazy how people have already forgotten how good Mahrez was that season.

32 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Mahrez in the form he was at when Leicester won the league is easily better than Willian or Pedro. Both are good players that can consistently offer something but neither have ever been special players. It's crazy how people have already forgotten how good Mahrez was that season.

Thank you. Fucks sake people thought I was taking the piss when I claimed an inform Mahrez would start over Pedro and Willian

Mahrez  was brilliant in the Leicester City championship winning season...  I sang his praises no end and I said he was in the top three for that season in the world in my opinion.  But as for the comparisons, not for me.  Pedro has had many more seasons at the top end and he's a lot more dynamic than Mahrez even at his best. Even with an on form Willian I wouldn't be so sure who to start to be honest because even though Mahrez is more of a cultured footballer than Willian, the Brazilian on form can revolutionise a game on his own.  Anyway... Horses for courses and each to their own opinion on that one.  I know that in the 2011 season Pedro was absolutely phenomenal and an important part of what was achieved.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I'd take Mahrez at Everton without a shadow of a doubt, in fact given the rumoured ''problems'' we're having with Swansea over Sigurdsson I'm surprised that we haven't turned out attention to Riyad. Our 12 month ''Leicester embargo'' is up so as far as I know we're in the clear to table an offer.

£50m please :) 

He would be a class signing for anyone who gets him(within reason of course as there are some clubs who simply wouldn't have a place for him) and I don't think last season is anything to go by. A player's form can be affected when their team aren't playing well. I'd say a lot of Leicester's players in their league winning campaign were going through a purple patch, but Mahrez isn't one of them. He's genuine quality for me.

At a club like Everton or Roma, he'd be a cracking buy for them. 45-50 million is steep though, although English football is beyond stupid now when it comes to money and it'll likely take a fee of that nature for Leicester to allow him to leave.

Archived