talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal - Saturday 6th February, 2021

football forum

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

How did the second half go?

Arsenal came out with a bit more energy after half-time for a period of about 20-25. Villa held strong and their defence was very good. There were a couple of chances which Martinez dealt with well, and they also got some very good blocks in thanks to Mings.

I'd say Villa still dealt with it comfortably, looked to play on the break with Grealish and Watkins coming close testing Ryan. For the last 15-20, Arsenal did try and find the winner, but could have done more. Arteta moved Saka to left-back to accommodate Odegaard in the middle and put Smith-Rowe towards the right. Saka did play quite advanced still, though. Pepe was poor but think there has to be a lot of credit to Villa's defence really.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Arsenal came out with a bit more energy after half-time for a period of about 20-25. Villa held strong and their defence was very good. There were a couple of chances which Martinez dealt with well, and they also got some very good blocks in thanks to Mings.

I'd say Villa still dealt with it comfortably, looked to play on the break with Grealish and Watkins coming close testing Ryan. For the last 15-20, Arsenal did try and find the winner, but could have done more. Arteta moved Saka to left-back to accommodate Odegaard in the middle and put Smith-Rowe towards the right. Saka did play quite advanced still, though. Pepe was poor but think there has to be a lot of credit to Villa's defence really.

You look at this Arsenal side and they miss Auba, this is the first season he's looking to score considerably less goals than his normal 30 or so goal target. A lot of talent between Saka, Smith-Rowe, Odegaard and Pepe (even if hes not lived up to his hefty price tag) but they need Auba fit and firing against an organised side like Villa.

@Mpache generally leno has been very consistent for us. Probably our best keeper since lehmann. In fact he is probably less error prone than him he just cant make those world class saves that lehmann did at times. Certainly I dont think many arsenal fans would consider the goalkeeping position to be a problem. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

You look at this Arsenal side and they miss Auba, this is the first season he's looking to score considerably less goals than his normal 30 or so goal target. A lot of talent between Saka, Smith-Rowe, Odegaard and Pepe (even if hes not lived up to his hefty price tag) but they need Auba fit and firing against an organised side like Villa.

Yep, appreciate he's missed the last 2-3 games but it wasn't through injury. Lacazette for the most part of the season was underwhelming but he was picking up form in his absence. 

• The topic was unpinned

Regarding the controversial decisions. I thought Saka had quite a lot to do. There was a defender coming in so I think a yellow card was right. Definitely it wasn't clear and obvious enough for var to intervene and even if they had I think the ref would have stuck with a yellow. 

I think lacazette could have had a penalty. However there  is a reasonable argument that he actually goes over and the goal keeper doesn't pull him over. I think had the ref looked at it there is a reasonable chance he would have given a penalty however from the var point of view I can understand why they stuck with the original decision. We dont want games being stopped all the time and that may fall into that category. I can also understand why you may get a different decision with different var officials depending on how they interpret the incident.

Really poor performance, the forward play is shocking, again I am not sure how long this can continue Arsenal are in danger now to be dropping down to 13th if the teams below win their games in hand after 23 games.  Arteta did seem he was kind of going in the right direction but where is this team really going, its a criminal position to be in The League at this stage, any other big club would have called it quits with the coach.  Its time the Arsenal board were ruthless with a winning mentality and Arteta has had some good moments as well as dreadful, it just seems a job far to big for him.

Zero luck and not much creativity. Back to normal then. I wonder what the situation with Ceballos is. Was one of the best performers under Arteta last season. Barely plays now. Another one he's fallen out with?

9 hours ago, Danny said:

Yeah, tactically Villa have got this spot on so far and I think Arteta needs to bring on Odegaard as Arsenal need more fluid attacks through the middle.

Attacking through the middle? Haven't seen that in 2 and a half years. I also don't think Odegaard was an Arteta signing. Not a good enough defender to play in Arteta's attack.

18 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Regarding the controversial decisions. I thought Saka had quite a lot to do. There was a defender coming in so I think a yellow card was right. Definitely it wasn't clear and obvious enough for var to intervene and even if they had I think the ref would have stuck with a yellow. 

I think lacazette could have had a penalty. However there  is a reasonable argument that he actually goes over and the goal keeper doesn't pull him over. I think had the ref looked at it there is a reasonable chance he would have given a penalty however from the var point of view I can understand why they stuck with the original decision. We dont want games being stopped all the time and that may fall into that category. I can also understand why you may get a different decision with different var officials depending on how they interpret the incident.

Didn't see the game but have seen the two incidents and I totally agree with your assessment. Saka one could've gone either way for me, but as you said I think it was difficult to adjudge that being a clear goal-scoring opportunity. 

The penalty incident was never going to be given, goalkeepers are far to protected and Lacazette was pushing in to Martinez. Harsh to give a foul on Lacazette but I wouldn't say it was a penalty. I do think after midweek Arsenal fans are getting to focused on this referee conspiracy against us. If that Emi/Lacazette incident goes the other way we'd be going ballistic. 

10 hours ago, 6666 said:

Zero luck and not much creativity. Back to normal then. I wonder what the situation with Ceballos is. Was one of the best performers under Arteta last season. Barely plays now. Another one he's fallen out with?

To be fair barring that run towards the end of last season post lock down, Ceballos has been nothing but average for us. Although you could say that is the only consistent run of games he has had. I would rather much see him come in for Partey if he is out for a extended period than see Elneny and Xhaka together. He did have the little scuffle with Nketiah earlier in the season and he is a bit hot-headed and we know Arteta doesn't like certain personalities. 

Archived