talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

NFL

football forum

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Machado said:

First season I'm following and fair play America, it's been fun. Caught a few nail biting games, proper hollywood stuff with last second winners. I'm a fan of that Rodgers guy.

I can't get into baseball but the NFL is winning me over.

Picked a good weekend if you watched any games! 

Not sure what the equivalent to Sky is in Portugal but if you can watch NFL Redzone on Sunday evenings that's good. 

Ravens' winner against Detroit Lions was amazing. Massive field goal attempt going over off the bar. And Jags' huge touchdown return. 

It's been quite a good start to the season. 

36 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Could be worse. You could have Kirk Cousins.

Ah, vikings man. Such a nice team, with nice fans from a nice state.

TBH, I think you could be a surprise package this season. As in a good one xD

1 hour ago, Stan said:

1 good game to start the season so far. 

Do you think you'll make playoffs this season? Early days yet I know. 

My heart says no. 
We have a pretty solid defense IMO, but despite some awesome attacking talents, we're unimaginative in attack so far. I can't see us shipping 30+ too often but I can't see us scoring it too often either. If the attack improves we make the play offs, but I don't think it will significantly. 

• 3 weeks later...

Washington should keep the name Washington Football Team as it's the most accurately descriptive name for any NFL team.

Pittsburgh don't work in steel mills, Jacksonville aren't actually Jaguars, nobody on Miami is even a dolphin, I doubt any of the Minnesota players have ever participated in a raid on a monastery. Not a single player on any of the bird teams can even come close to flying - they don't even have wings FFS. I don't know what 49ing is, but I assume it's similar to 69ing - so maybe San Francisco's got an accurate team name.

Meanwhile, Washington Football Team are a football team from Washington.

Refreshing honesty from a side that had to change their team name because it used to be a racial slur.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Washington should keep the name Washington Football Team as it's the most accurately descriptive name for any NFL team.

Pittsburgh don't work in steel mills, Jacksonville aren't actually Jaguars, nobody on Miami is even a dolphin, I doubt any of the Minnesota players have ever participated in a raid on a monastery. Not a single player on any of the bird teams can even come close to flying - they don't even have wings FFS. I don't know what 49ing is, but I assume it's similar to 69ing - so maybe San Francisco's got an accurate team name.

Meanwhile, Washington Football Team are a football team from Washington.

Refreshing honesty from a side that had to change their team name because it used to be a racial slur.

Serious question. Why isn’t everyone up in arms about Kansas City?

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

I have no clue tbh.

Or the Indians in MLB, or the Blackhawks in NHL. Although I remember seeing something from some Native American group where they say "you can call us ________" and they had tons of words that they used to fill in the blank - and one of them was "Indian" and it ended with "but never call us r*dskins" (which tbh, I'm not sure if I should censor or not - I don't think we've got any indigenous Americans on here... but it's a racial slur that they've made clear they don't want used so I'll take out a vowel)....

so that might be how Cleveland's baseball team gets away with it? Doesn't explain Kansas City getting away with it though.

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I have no clue tbh.

Or the Indians in MLB, or the Blackhawks in NHL. Although I remember seeing something from some Native American group where they say "you can call us ________" and they had tons of words that they used to fill in the blank - and one of them was "Indian" and it ended with "but never call us r*dskins" (which tbh, I'm not sure if I should censor or not - I don't think we've got any indigenous Americans on here... but it's a racial slur that they've made clear they don't want used so I'll take out a vowel)....

so that might be how Cleveland's baseball team gets away with it? Doesn't explain Kansas City getting away with it though.

Cleveland are also changing their name. It will be the 'Cleveland Guardians' after this season.

10 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Cleveland are also changing their name. It will be the 'Cleveland Guardians' after this season.

Are they changing their logo too?

I think they're currently named after their first ever coach. Dunno why their logo was just their helmet. That would be quite a re-brand for them though.

19 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Almost all team names that are in reference to native Americans and currently being asked to change them. 

I am waiting until our baseball team, the Atlanta Braves, have to change their name. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I have no clue tbh.

We have an awful history in terms of how we treated native Americans, so I think the idea is to remove all licensing from professional teams. Braves, Indians, Chiefs, Seminoles, and the countless others. 

I'm not really bothered. It'd be weird to not be the Atlanta Braves one day, but we'll be alright. 

When the day comes, I hope we become the Atlanta Hammers, in honor of the greatest baseball player ever, Hammerin' Hank. 

3579731-B.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, Eco said:

We have an awful history in terms of how we treated native Americans, so I think the idea is to remove all licensing from professional teams. Braves, Indians, Chiefs, Seminoles, and the countless others. 

I'm not really bothered. It'd be weird to not be the Atlanta Braves one day, but we'll be alright. 

I didn't realise the Braves were named after a tribe... I thought they just pluralised brave to be like "well our players are very brave" xD

I didn't realise the Braves were named after a tribe... I thought they just pluralised brave to be like "well our players are very brave" xD

Nope. 

Name came from when the team moved from Milwaukee to Atlanta. 

Back in the day, we used to have two mascots, both native Americans. 

One was Chief Noc-A-Homa and his Princess Win-A-Lotta

No shit. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Nope. 

No shit. 

Holy shit that's so bad

• Subscriber

It's not named after a tribe, pretty sure it's a generic term used to refer to Native American warriors in the past. Don't think it's offensive in itself, either. But I can see how the Natives would find it in poor taste considering it's pretty much rich Whites making more money using Native American imagery & culture. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Nope. 

No shit. 

Wow. 

Princess Win-A-Lotta, wtf xD 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's not named after a tribe, pretty sure it's a generic term used to refer to Native American warriors in the past. Don't think it's offensive in itself, either. But I can see how the Natives would find it in poor taste considering it's pretty much rich Whites making more money using Native American imagery & culture. 

Correct - 

Here is what I found - Native American men who were well trained and prepared to defend their homeland and families. 

• Upvote 1