talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Squad - Euro 2020

football forum

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not 'ultra-defensive' though is it? It's just me laying out my reasons in detail.

But it seemed so because no one had really put a strong case for Henderson and everyone had chosen Pickford in their starting line ups. I don't disagree with your reasons, just found it weird you came in all guns blazing as if everyone had ignored Pickford. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have hope that our players might not make the final cut and can get a nice rest. Don't need a half fit Jordan Henderson out there busting a gut for the Ingerland fans. It would be a bit shit for England... but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Plus I'm not convinced that Southgate really understands how to use a right back like Trent, so someone a bit more "traditional" might fit his shite tactics better in any case.

3 hours ago, Rick said:

Sorry, I didn’t realise Calvert-Lewin was seen as some sort of unmatched elite striker. His numbers aren’t much better than Ings, and Ings has been out injured. 

Im not saying Ings eclipses Calvert Lewin as a footballer btw, there’s not a lot in it. I’m just saying I prefer him if it’s coming on for the last 10-15 mins to nab a goal. 

I think Ings is probably the better striker overall, but I can see the value in having Calvert-Lewin as a pure poacher type coming off the bench.

Pickford's obviously got to start for England. I think Dean Henderson's had a bit of a mixed season compared to how he looked at Sheffield United - and playing for England is probably closer to playing for a bigger club than a side that's just been promoted in terms of expectation and pressure. Ramsdale belongs nowhere near the final side, though. I don't like Pickford at all - but I don't see who else can realistically start for England in an international tournament and not be a massive risk. At least with Pickford you know the risks are he's got short arms and is a violent idiot, but you sort of know at least what type of performance you'll get from him. Ramsdale's shite & Dean Henderson's too inconsistent. Johnstone plays for WBA so it's hard to say how good he really is.

Hasn't Sancho had a pretty poor season by his standards? Are we sure he'll be starting over someone like Sterling (who's also had a poor season by his standards, tbf)?

I'm not a Southgate fan and I do feel Bamford's been unlucky to miss out but it is what it is.

I'm not shocked. The seed was sowed for Pat in the last call up's when Watkins was chosen. He's just not fancied and that is that. Bonus for us, he get's a nice rest.

For me, as long as Foden starts, Dier is left out the squad completely and Greenwood is taken as an impact sub, the rest kind of sorts itself out.

I can understand Bamford being left out. He scored a lot of goals this season, for sure, and it was probably more than any of us really expected him to score. But his shot conversion ratio is pretty poor compared to some of the other strikers we'd been bringing off the bench to try to change things if Southgate's tactics aren't working.

When you're bringing on someone as a supersub, you're not thinking "okay NOW let's go make a shitload of chances, he'll put away the ball about 20% of the time with that shitload of chances" - you're hoping for a striker brought on with 25 minutes or less to go to be very clinical. Someone like Calvert-Lewin or Ollie Watkins, who are players that I think have a conversion ratio that's something like 10% better... makes a bit more sense to me.

And obviously football isn't just played with statistics and probabilities - and there's underlying things those stats don't show (like maybe those players shoot less than Bamford because they're more likely to only shoot if they think they've got a higher chance of scoring - whereas Bamford might try more risky shots compared to them; not saying that's what's happening... I'm just saying there are things that can sort of explain why the stats are so different. Also things like the systems the managers have their players and respective teams set up in... those make a difference.

If it was me, I'd probably have called up Bamford tbh... partially because he's scored a lot this season, but mostly because of his workrate. He's a busy player - but I think that his workrate helps Leeds create chances and if I was a manager nowadays... I think I'd be a manager that's got a lot of faith in pressing players high up the pitch. It just seems to generate more mistakes from the opposition, which leads to more chances... which leads to more goalscoring opportunities. And if Kane went down mid tournament, I'd probably be relying heavily on Bamford.

But I'm also not a manager, so what do I know?

But by the same token, I can see why he's been left out.

But Southgate's not a good manager, so what does he know?

Let’s be honest Bamford is no where near starting, he is in England terms essentially a BTEC Harry Kane. Calvert-Lewin is more of a poacher and Watkins has better hold up play, different to Bamford. Most likely only two strikers will make it, no point including more players who have no chance of getting in

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Southgate is a dumbfuck if he leaves out Alexander-Arnold.

What's he got against him?

Despite him proving that he's good defensively in recent games with Liverpool, I don't think he'll flourish in such a rigid back four that Southgate will go for. It's mad you wouldn't have him in the squad though given how reliant England were on set pieces at the World Cup

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Despite him proving that he's good defensively in recent games with Liverpool, I don't think he'll flourish in such a rigid back four that Southgate will go for. It's mad you wouldn't have him in the squad though given how reliant England were on set pieces at the World Cup

But Southgate has persisted with a back 3 throughout some games in qualifying and surely he's the first choice as a RWB/RB. He's certainly my choice to play in either of those positions above the likes of Walker and Trippier. Reece James is really his only proper competition, validly so. 

It's mad, indeed. It actually frustrates me he could be left at home. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

But Southgate has persisted with a back 3 throughout some games in qualifying and surely he's the first choice as a RWB/RB. He's certainly my choice to play in either of those positions above the likes of Walker and Trippier. Reece James is really his only proper competition, validly so. 

It's mad, indeed. It actually frustrates me he could be left at home. 

I've not seen much of England in qualifying but was under the impression they'd played a back four recently, could be wrong. 

I'm just not sure Southgate knows what to do with a player like TAA

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Danny said:

Suppose you could argue James has just won the Champions League and Walker a league title, difficult to leave both out with that in mind.

That's crap logic if you're only taking trophies won in a season in to account. 

You can take TAA, James and Walker. 

• Subscriber

I honestly just can't comprehend leaving out Alexander-Arnold.

Take Walker for the games we'll be on the back foot, take Alexander-Arnold for the games where the opponent puts most of their outfield players behind the ball to help create an opening. Extra set-piece threat as well. Reece James is good enough offensively and defensively to deputise for both. I'm not going to pretend I've seen much of Trippier over the last couple of years, he might have improved massively out in Spain but just... meh. Even so, if you take Trippier and Walker as your two definites, you would surely want Alexander-Arnold over James because he has more explosive attacking impact to spread the profile of your options out.

Alexander-Arnold had a slightly worse season this time around but anyone can see it was the exception to the rule. It just seems so obvious that he's a better foil to Kyle Walker than Reece James and he's spent more time playing regularly at the top level, and I also rate Reece James incredibly highly. In fact the more I think about it the less I think even Kyle Walker should be nailed on in the final squad but he has to go as he can play on the right of a back three if needed as well. England are spoilt for choice in this area. You could argue that Reece James is a better option to fulfil the attacking full back role as he offers a fair amount going forward and is arguably less vulnerable defensively. Still, Trent Alexander-Arnold is a higher calibre of player for me than Reece James (currently) and Kieran Trippier, he responded with some good performances after being left out of the last squad. Not taking him in the final squad, if that is indeed the decision that has been made, feels like one of those decisions you see managers make where they've made a big call which receives backlash, and then it becomes a big deal for them to stick by it. 

The rumoured players out are Trent, Lingard, Godfrey, Ward-Prowse, Ramsdale, White as well as Greenwood who has had to pull out.

I'm a bit gutted for Greenwood as he had those Michael Owen '98 vibes about him, coming off the bench and scaring the opposition. 

Trent should be going, and starting the games where we need to be on the front foot (Scotland, Czech's) with Walker starting v Croatia where we need to be more defensive minded. My honest view.

Feel for Lingard and Ward-Prowse, Lingard has the knack of scoring a goal and JWP has the best set piece delivery if we needed to go Route One. It might have been more beneficial having one of them in than say Saka but there we go.

Reece James getting the Mount treatment I see. 

Reece James will likely start because he is the most balanced right back of the lot and probably the adequate choice in Southgate's system. There isn't that much call for controversy considering James is great on the ball and great defensively. 

Archived