• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 2-0 Newcastle - Monday 15th February, 2021

football forum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

What an easy run of games Chelsea have had. Lampard would have got the same results. But let’s all pretend Tuchel is amazing. 9_9 

He probably would have, but not in the manner of control we've seen under Tuchel. Only goal we conceded was an own goal under Tuchel so far in the league. 

Still early days. Our attack is still poor and we have yet to see our team really tested. 

Trying to play down being 4th bottom, Steve Bruce said 7 or 8 teams are looking over their shoulder at the bottom 3.

:4_joy:

Aye, Leeds, Arsenal, Southampton, Wolves and Palace are bricking it that Fulham win their game in hand. They just don't know whether they'll get the 4 or 5 points needed from their last 14 games to survive.

I don't think we have even had members that talk as much shit as Bruce does and we've had some clowns on here.

14 hours ago, Lucas said:

It's never silky with Chelsea is it? Just enough to get the job done. Efficient.

Fair comment, I've felt more boredom in our games this season than I have done for a while watching us.

Like @Cicero said we have really been massively tested yet, our most difficult game under Tuchel so far came against a Championship side, early days and no need to get carried away.

When I say tested that means by one of the better teams in the league or in Europe but also anyone really. We haven't faced a team that's had a go at us probably and pressed high for significant periods yet, Wolves, Spurs, Newcastle were happy to sit off. Sheffield pressed high and did cause us problems and made it difficult but ultimately they lacked quality up top and defensively with some poor errors. The Spurs game changed when they pushed up the pitch and pressed us. Barnsley did it for significant periods and really did cause us problems, credit to them. 

If any manager has watched us under Tuchel so far and decides to sit off for the majority of the game and not press us, it's a bad move. Interestingly, our next game is Southampton who despite being in a bad moment, do like to press and I think this is going to be our first real test.

One of the positives of Tuchel so far though is that he has demonstrated the ability to read games better and change tactics if needed, it was the change of shape which helped us a lot against Barnsley for example.

Regarding Werner's return to form,  he hasn't really looked all that for me either, the positives are that he's scoring and assisting again (he's started to leave his mark on games again which for a player like him that's very important). Hopefully, his confidence is growing again and the system seems to suit him better but apart from that, I haven't been that impressed with him, to be honest. 

13 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

What an easy run of games Chelsea have had. Lampard would have got the same results. But let’s all pretend Tuchel is amazing. 9_9 

I don't see anybody raving about Tuchel on here??? 

38 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Fair comment, I've felt more boredom in our games this season than I have done for a while watching us.

Like @Cicero said we have really been massively tested yet, our most difficult game under Tuchel so far came against a Championship side, early days and no need to get carried away.

When I say tested that means by one of the better teams in the league or in Europe but also anyone really. We haven't faced a team that's had a go at us probably and pressed high for significant periods yet, Wolves, Spurs, Newcastle were happy to sit off. Sheffield pressed high and did cause us problems and made it difficult but ultimately they lacked quality up top and defensively with some poor errors. The Spurs game changed when they pushed up the pitch and pressed us. Barnsley did it for significant periods and really did cause us problems, credit to them. 

If any manager has watched us under Tuchel so far and decides to sit off for the majority of the game and not press us, it's a bad move. Interestingly, our next game is Southampton who despite being in a bad moment, do like to press and I think this is going to be our first real test.

One of the positives of Tuchel so far though is that he has demonstrated the ability to read games better and change tactics if needed, it was the change of shape which helped us a lot against Barnsley for example.

Regarding Werner's return to form,  he hasn't really looked all that for me either, the positives are that he's scoring and assisting again (he's started to leave his mark on games again which for a player like him that's very important). Hopefully, his confidence is growing again and the system seems to suit him better but apart from that, I haven't been that impressed with him, to be honest. 

Agree with all of this... 

Despite a few wins and a decent run of results since he arrived it's not something we couldn't have expected even under Lampard so Tuchel has hardly set the place on fire, You could even argue that the team are on a little bit of a high because of the new manager coming in which is normally par for the course with most teams.. I still don't see us as much of a threat in front of goal still, we pass the ball about quickly and our movement is good but it fizzles out in the final third when we seem to run out of ideas, that level of danger to the oppositions goal just does not exist for the majority of the game .. 

Tuchel seems to be good at involving everyone at some level or another but then he has a lot of players to try and keep happy, To be fair to him though he has come in cold half way through a season and has had to try and turn things around which he has managed to do so far but again as has already been mentioned our run of games have not had any real tests, all the difficult games seem to be spread out so we can afford one odd bad one as long as we bounce back in the others.. 

Teams like Atletico will push us really hard and I would be amazed if we did well playing them, I fully expect us to go out in this round, we just don't have the firepower or creativity to get the better of them over two legs.. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived