talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2020/21 - Round of 32 (1st Legs) - Thursday 18th February, 2021 (Late KOs)

football forum

14 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You can't see Shakhtar, Milan, Benfica or the winner of Lille/Ajax winning? 

Ajax - squad ripped to shreds over the last two years 

Shakhtar - Good side but I don't think they are as good as the English sides

Lille - No, not a chance they can win it 

Benfica - Another side who've sold their best players, always a good side but not a challenger 

Milan - they have their eyes on another prize and will see this as a distraction. 

So to answer your question, no I don't see past the English teams. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Devil said:

Ajax - squad ripped to shreds over the last two years 

Shakhtar - Good side but I don't think they are as good as the English sides

Lille - No, not a chance they can win it 

Benfica - Another side who've sold their best players, always a good side but not a challenger 

Milan - they have their eyes on another prize and will see this as a distraction. 

So to answer your question, no I don't see past the English teams. 

Bayer Leverkusen will be a real threat, they are as good as the English sides, maybe even better when they are at full strength. Ajax always sell top players year on year, but they almost always still produce a strong side the following season.

44 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You can't see Shakhtar, Milan, Benfica or the winner of Lille/Ajax winning? 

Shakhtar are always very stiff competition, but I am not sure if they can go all the way and actually win it.

Milan are a good side, but not as good as the best sides in this competition, I don't think that they are good enough to win it.

Benfica are a solid side, but again not good enough to win it and I am quite sure Arsenal will knock them out in the return leg, if they put out a strong enough side.

Ajax are a side that are always dangerous, but they are as usual a young side and I am not sure if they will be able to go all the way. Brobbey though seems to be their latest wonder kid.

Bayer Leverkusen should be a real threat to the English sides and I think that they have a good chance of winning it if they play their best possible side in the latter part of the competition.

Hoffenheim and Villarreal are my dark horses, maybe not good enough to win the actual tournament, but they could go very far nonetheless.

Out of the English clubs, I personally fancy Man Utd's, Tottenham's and Leicester City's chances of winning it more than Arsenal. No disrespect to the Gunners, but the other three teams seem to be more balanced to me.

18 minutes ago, Michael said:

Shakhtar are always very stiff competition, but I am not sure if they can go all the way and actually win it.

Milan are a good side, but not as good as the best sides in this competition, I don't think that they are good enough to win it.

Benfica are a solid side, but again not good enough to win it and I am quite sure Arsenal will knock them out in the return leg, if they put out a strong enough side.

Ajax are a side that are always dangerous, but they are as usual a young side and I am not sure if they will be able to go all the way. Brobbey though seems to be their latest wonder kid.

Bayer Leverkusen should be a real threat to the English sides and I think that they have a good chance of winning it if they play their best possible side in the latter part of the competition.

Hoffenheim and Villarreal are my dark horses, maybe not good enough to win the actual tournament, but they could go very far nonetheless.

Out of the English clubs, I personally fancy Man Utd's, Tottenham's and Leicester City's chances of winning it more than Arsenal. No disrespect to the Gunners, but the other three teams seem to be more balanced to me.

Gravenberch is Ajax star! Brobbey is leaving Ajax for free next season, he wouldn't even be playing if Haller was registered. 

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Bayer Leverkusen will be a real threat, they are as good as the English sides, maybe even better when they are at full strength. Ajax always sell top players year on year, but they almost always still produce a strong side the following season.

Can't be that good if a team of young boys just beat them.

15 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Gravenberch is Ajax star! Brobbey is leaving Ajax for free next season, he wouldn't even be playing if Haller was registered. 

Admittedly I have not seen that much of Brobbey, but I read a lot of hype about him not so long ago and I also read that Bayern were very interested in him, so there must be something about the kid who only just turned 18 this month. I think that it's natural that the much more experienced and proven players like Haller and Tadic would usually start ahead of him, but from the highlights I've seen, Brobbey looks a very useful youngster, he certainly did well to score against Lille tonight. Yeah I've also read and seen a bit of Gravenberch, he looks like a very promising midfielder who could make it big in a few years time, even though he didn't play tonight.

11 minutes ago, Michael said:

Admittedly I have not seen that much of Brobbey, but I read a lot of hype about him not so long ago and I also read that Bayern were very interested in him, so there must be something about the kid who only just turned 18 this month. I think that it's natural that the much more experienced and proven players like Haller and Tadic would usually start ahead of him, but from the highlights I've seen, Brobbey looks a very useful youngster, he certainly did well to score against Lille tonight. Yeah I've also read and seen a bit of Gravenberch, he looks like a very promising midfielder who could make it big in a few years time, even though he didn't play tonight.

Yeah Gravenberch was suspended.  Brobbey is great but its a shame he will Not sign a contract at Ajax. Hope he makes the right choice as he could be great like a Lakaku. 

3 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Yeah Gravenberch was suspended.  Brobbey is great but its a shame he will Not sign a contract at Ajax. Hope he makes the right choice as he could be great like a Lakaku. 

I think that unfortunately a lot of these very young players get a bit greedy when offers come around from the rich clubs. It's most probably a financial reason as to why Brobbery has decided not to renew his contract. He knows that he is a very promising young player and as there will be no transfer fee for him, he will no doubt be able to demand huge wages at his future club. Let's hope he joins a club that is able to get the best out of him and improve his development as a player.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Agree to disagree but Leverkusen aren't on the same page as the English clubs. 

Ajax I feel have lost too many key players, let's not forget before the great team a few years ago they'd been in the wilderness for at least a decade in Europe. 

13 minutes ago, Devil said:

Agree to disagree but Leverkusen aren't on the same page as the English clubs. 

Ajax I feel have lost too many key players, let's not forget before the great team a few years ago they'd been in the wilderness for at least a decade in Europe. 

I beg to differ. When Leverkusen have their best team out, they are as good as or potentially better than the English clubs in my opinion. They definitely need to have Tapsoba playing though, because he makes a huge difference to their defence. But in midfield and attack, Leverkusen have some superb players. 

I get your point about Ajax, losing the amount of key players that they have is bound to have some negative affect. But they are still a side who keep producing impressive players with immense talent in my opinion. Maybe they will find it too difficult against the best sides in the competition, but on their day I am sure they can surprise most clubs.

26 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think that unfortunately a lot of these very young players get a bit greedy when offers come around from the rich clubs. It's most probably a financial reason as to why Brobbery has decided not to renew his contract. He knows that he is a very promising young player and as there will be no transfer fee for him, he will no doubt be able to demand huge wages at his future club. Let's hope he joins a club that is able to get the best out of him and improve his development as a player.

Well Raiola is his agent :(  Apparently he is going to sign for RB Leipzig

• The topic was unpinned

Archived