• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mortal Kombat (2021)

football forum

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Not entirely out of the blue but I didnt know a trailer was coming out for it. There had been talks to rehash it but after the disastrous sequels that followed that okayish first film the project lingered around a lot before finally getting green lighted. 

P.S. I cant wait to see what they do as I quite like that first movie.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No Johnny Cage is strange. 

Wasnt that due to a story arc they are running? Someone is going to be playing a related role but its to add some change to the lore. 

I also like that they kept it simple. MK11 was way too much to put into a movie and I am glad they went back to MK1+2.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a gamer but know a little about mortal combat. Isnt kano normally a bad guy? He seems to  be a good guy in the new film ?

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm not a gamer but know a little about mortal combat. Isnt kano normally a bad guy? He seems to  be a good guy in the new film ?

Think hes a bad guy here too I doubt they flipped the script too much as they wanted to stay true to the games themselves. His accent sounds a bit better than the last few movies though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Watched it today. I think its decent if you going into it just expecting action and theres going to be more movies here (as was expected).

P.S. yes its horrible and the first movie is still the best one to date.

This was awful. Truly awful. Just watched it. Horrid. Wow. 

Imagine an action film with horrid underwhelming CGI action scenes, villains that are introduced and killed 2 scenes later, heroes that are introduced and killed immediately, no gravity to the action or the plot at all. If you can call it a plot. An exposition dump, then a bunch of shit fight scenes, then fin. 

Josh Lawson was occasionally good as Kano. Nothing else to report. 

• Subscriber
On 23/04/2021 at 11:51, Mel81x said:

Watched it today. I think its decent if you going into it just expecting action and theres going to be more movies here (as was expected).

P.S. yes its horrible and the first movie is still the best one to date.

I rewatched the fist one I want to say maybe a year or so ago and it did not age well imo. The fight scenes where pretty bad, cgi ( as you would expect though) was bad. The one liners where still kinda funny. Plot was terrible but I mean its Mortal Combat sooooooooo. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I rewatched the fist one I want to say maybe a year or so ago and it did not age well imo. The fight scenes where pretty bad, cgi ( as you would expect though) was bad. The one liners where still kinda funny. Plot was terrible but I mean its Mortal Combat sooooooooo. 

The thing about the first movie is that it still stayed true to the games vs this new one which really just strays very far from it and as stated above just goes about axing characters before they even spend any time on screen.

Here are the good bits. 

1. The opening scene. 
2. Kano about 30% of the time. Sadly, the director and writers decided he needed to make a joke about EVERYTHING so less of them stick than they should. But when it's not overly forced it's decent. 
3. The appearance of the cast I guess. 
4. You were expecting more? Nope. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Cheers. 

If you're not a movie person you might like it I guess. 
But even as someone who just wanted a fun shit movie, it couldn't even provide that. I'd forgive it the complete mess and disaster of a plot/ lack character and villain building if it was a fun sequence of enjoyable fights. 
It's not. They're effects loaded, fast pace edited, mediocre choreography and unimaginative dogshit. 

Here is a not particularly spioilery summary of the movies fuckery 

"Here's my harpy, she's beautiful isn't she" Says Shang Tsung. 
Boom, in that 3 second scene, the movie introduces us a new villain. 
Less than 5 minutes later, she fights a character for the first time, and immediately dies within 30 seconds. 

Repeat that for 90 minutes and that's your movie. 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Cicero said:

Worse than the 1995 film?

I think its definitely worse and its really just a movie to introduce a new character which it doesn't even do a good job of bringing to the front. And to think now that we're going to get more of these. This is like that other game movie shit show called Resident Evil.

Someone I know who saw it said it was good. I think it has generally been better received than the original film. 

Archived