• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Facebook blocks Australian News

football forum

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

i wonder how far back this is going to set development in Australia for getting that content out. I also wonder who is going to drive it and how much money its going to cost. After all, Facebook was a 'free' platform that everyone milked for whatever they could. 

• Subscriber

It's not often that I find myself supporting Facebook, but in this case, I think they are absolutely right not to cave in. Why should they pay Australian publishers for people sharing links to news content, especially considering that clicking on them redirects the reader to the publisher websites, thus generating clicks and, essentially, ad money? Or even worse, why should Facebook pay those publishers for displaying links to their own websites on their Facebook accounts on their own volition? That doesn't make any sense.

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Carmine-Falcone.jpg

:ph34r:

Sorry my young matey - I spent so many of my later years in schools - both UK and Germany trying to persuade young people away from the distress which crapbook was causing them - particularly those of the young LBGT community who were being 'outed' and verbally abused with no efforts by the organisers to help to stop such garbage.  My animosity is not to the idea or the way it could be of great use if properly organised, it is purely the creeps who run it for pure profit and no moral scruples when they could sort out the type of garbage that people like Trump makes when using so- called social media.  I lost one girl in Berlin, Germany and one boy in the UK who were unable to cope with the abuse and sadly took  what they thought was their only way out.

Just now, SchalkeUK said:

Sorry my young matey - I spent so many of my later years in schools - both UK and Germany trying to persuade young people away from the distress which crapbook was causing them - particularly those of the young LBGT community who were being 'outed' and verbally abused with no efforts by the organisers to help to stop such garbage.  My animosity is not to the idea or the way it could be of great use if properly organised, it is purely the creeps who run it for pure profit and no moral scruples when they could sort out the type of garbage that people like Trump makes when using so- called social media.  I lost one girl in Berlin, Germany and one boy in the UK who were unable to cope with the abuse and sadly took  what they thought was their only way out.

I know, I was just being silly. The amount of misogyny and hate that people spread in the anonymity of their computers and phones is indeed worrying, and has only increased during these pandemic times. 

• Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/02/microsoft-sides-with-european-news-sites-in-their-battle-with-google/

Look whos on the other side of the table now. If you think about it, this is a golden opportunity for one of the big tech firms to actually get a lot of business in the process of dicking the rest over.

It's definitely a situation where I'm not quite sure who to root for.

I think the likely outcome is money for the media giants but nothing for the smaller publishers, which frankly is the majority of our left, centre left and centrist media. So a bad outcome for quality of journalism in Australia

• Subscriber

If you think about it in retrospect this worked out well for one player only and that's big-tech. Now, they can go combat the regulatory bodies that would want them to implement this elsewhere and they have a test-bed to do this too. At the end of the day print-media/publishers were never going to win in a world thats dominated by the tech giants and its not because they control the information its because they control the user-base and the platform(s) consuming that information. I don't think the payouts will be anywhere close to damaging for any of them either. 

Archived