talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 0-2 Everton - Saturday 20th February, 2021

football forum

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

We have a clear starting CB in VVD, we have a clear second starting CB in Gomez and a quality third CB in Matip. We then have young players that probably wasn't planned to get much game time and then Fabinho who is pretty fucking good at CB.

The whole lot of them are injured. You say it's bad planning and that's fine, it's your opinion. I say it's amazingly bad luck to lose all our CB's to season ending injuries, plus our back up options. 

That's my opinion and I'm led to believe that everyone is entitled to one on this discussion board? There is a massive difference of opinion on this and its been discussed to death. 

Bad planning not buying cover incase 4 CB's get injured... Maybe?

Bad luck having the injuries we have sustained to CB's... Absolutely!

It's both. We were playing with fire going in with one reliable (fitness-wise) centre back, but it has been ridiculously bad luck to have suffered the injury problems we have

I maintain it was a mistake to go into the season like that, but for me, by far the bigger mistake was not getting a new a centre back in on or around January 1st

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Danny said:

I literally didn’t say anyone was an idiot lol. Have the conversation at hand and not the one in your head 

You said we started the season with 3 CB's.... that's fundamentally wrong. 

If we are having a conversation, at the very least don't make things up. 

Honestly though, I'm really not wanting to get into this again. Its been done a million times and we are still no closer to agreeing. 

I'm happy to draw a line under the whole thing. It's either poor planning or extremely bad luck that we have no CB's available... let's just leave it at that.

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

It's both. We were playing with fire going in with one reliable (fitness-wise) centre back, but it has been ridiculously bad luck to have suffered the injury problems we have

I maintain it was a mistake to go into the season like that, but for me, by far the bigger mistake was not getting a new a centre back in on or around January 1st

Yeah I'll agree with that. We probably should have signed a CB 30 days before we did. 

25 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

We have a clear starting CB in VVD, we have a clear second starting CB in Gomez and a quality third CB in Matip. We then have young players that probably wasn't planned to get much game time and then Fabinho who is pretty fucking good at CB.

The whole lot of them are injured. You say it's bad planning and that's fine, it's your opinion. I say it's amazingly bad luck to lose all our CB's to season ending injuries, plus our back up options. 

That's my opinion and I'm led to believe that everyone is entitled to one on this discussion board? There is a massive difference of opinion on this and its been discussed to death. 

Bad planning not buying cover incase 4 CB's get injured... Maybe?

Bad luck having the injuries we have sustained to CB's... Absolutely!

Look at you mate, coming in to have a pop at me for my views then defending your own being challenged in reply with "last time I checked I was allowed to have an opinion". 🤯Feckin hell

For the record I think it's tenuous that we have a clear second choice in Gomez and third in matip.

Often we will play whichever one of those two is actually fit.

Both have been injured so much that they struggle to fill a single place in the 11 between them. 

13 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I'll agree with that. We probably should have signed a CB 30 days before we did. 

I can see where people are coming from there absolutely but financially it wouldn't have been possible I don't think

39 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Honestly though, I'm really not wanting to get into this again. Its been done a million times and we are still no closer to agreeing. 

I'm happy to draw a line under the whole thing. It's either poor planning or extremely bad luck that we have no CB's available... let's just leave it at that.

Why can't it be both? 

42 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I meant 3 experienced centre backs which is true, counting random youth players getting a chance ain’t really the one

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

Look at you mate, coming in to have a pop at me for my views then defending your own being challenged in reply with "last time I checked I was allowed to have an opinion". 🤯Feckin hell

For the record I think it's tenuous that we have a clear second choice in Gomez and third in matip.

Often we will play whichever one of those two is actually fit.

Both have been injured so much that they struggle to fill a single place in the 11 between them. 

A pop at you?

Wow, I honestly don't know what to say in here anymore? I literally seem to offend someone every time I post?

I didn't mean to 'have a pop at you' at all mate. Just thought we were having a discussion? 

It seems like it's trendy for people to start on me lately which is funny because it wouldn't happen if we were all face to face. Luxury of the internet I suppose!?. 

Anyway, take care all of you, I'm out for good. 

• Subscriber

Just going to congratulate @RandoEFC for the win over us. I don't know how a team that played so well in Europe just had a total collapse domestically but going by whats happened yesterday all over Europe it seems about fitting that we'd have lost to Everton too. Now, we just have to see what the rest of the season brings for us. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

A pop at you?

Wow, I honestly don't know what to say in here anymore? I literally seem to offend someone every time I post?

I didn't mean to 'have a pop at you' at all mate. Just thought we were having a discussion? 

It seems like it's trendy for people to start on me lately which is funny because it wouldn't happen if we were all face to face. Luxury of the internet I suppose!?. 

Anyway, take care all of you, I'm out for good. 

Not a hard pop, but a pop in the sense that you're challenging my opinion, but then when I challenge yours in return you're immediately on the defensive I.e. "last time I checked I was allowed to have an opinion",etc.... If that's a valid defence I could've sent that in response to your first post and we'd have been done. But it's a victim card I didn't want to play.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I think it’s shit luck. Bad planning is merely hindsight. 

I think it’s both. Because it wasn’t exactly a secret that Gomez and Matip are injury prone. It’s bad luck that just a few games into the season we lost our best CB and arguably our best player. But once Virgil went down, it was only a matter of time before the others got hurt.

And a lot of people were worried about that.

Apparently Ben Davies got injured in his second training session and only just got fit - so it’s possible he’ll be blooded in soon. And I know it’s still early days with Kabak... but tbh I can see why he was in a relegation battling side - he’s good in the air and bang average at everything else. Maybe harsh because he’s just joined and come into a side that is struggling - but he’s not got much time to make a case for joining us permanently.

But hopefully we can start playing defenders at CB soon, because we need Henderson/Fabinho back in the midfield. Currently our midfield is the biggest problem with the side, imo.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

A few years ago we were in a CL final together.

Now we are shite together.

Brothers in arms xD

Two months ago you two were playing out 1st v 2nd. Unreal the drop off from both since that game.

We can all go around in circles about the planning before the season. Some see it as careless, some see it as bad luck. There’s arguments on both side. 

But, I really don’t see how any red can defend the utter shit show in waiting until deadline day to do something about the problem. 31 days wasted, the time frame where this shit run really started to pick up. Struggled with the injuries way prior to the window opening and there was still no contingency plan in place. The club wouldn’t have signed anybody either if Matip hadn’t of got injured. That’s the thing that really fucking irritates me.

I can see both sides to this, obviously you run the risk of an injury crisis in defence if your second and third choice CB's have a pretty shoddy injury record, but finding a quality player to fill in and do a job for a decent price is incredibly difficult. Also the fact the player will be knowing he will be a 4th choice means your only options are really an experienced CB or a youngster, which probably doesn't actually improve the squad when Fabinho is your 4th choice. 

9 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

You'd think they won the league, big Dunc is enjoying this xD

Fair play to the blues, can't blame them for celebrating, but between this and Hassenhutl it's really weird seeing how emotional everyone gets beating us when we're absolute shite.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Fair play to the blues, can't blame them for celebrating, but between this and Hassenhutl it's really weird seeing how emotional everyone gets beating us when we're absolute shite.

Seen all that with United getting beaten under Fergie, that was when OT was a fortress, teams just go there knowing it is just a sandcastle nowadays and can be washed away. :coffee: 

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

You'd think they won the league, big Dunc is enjoying this xD

I don't blame them for celebrating like that one bit. When you've not been victorious over a team at their ground for over 2 decades, let alone that team being your arch rivals, then that's how celebrations should be. Also goes to show how much of a hold Liverpool had over Everton for so many years that it brings out celebrations like this. 

Archived