talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2020/21 - 23-24th February, 2021

football forum

18 minutes ago, Danny said:

Good result tonight, squad has been under the cosh and we went 3 defeats in a row. Sheffield Wednesday aren't good at all, but we have conceded a goal in each of our last 8 games. Clean sheet tonight and Reid and Pinnock looked so good together, Reid heading so many balls away that Mads Bech struggled to.

Weirdly we won 3-0 yet Mbeumo and Canos had poor nights. Toney and Dasilva played too which was encouraging.

@Dr. Gonzo he's a bit of a love hate figure amongst the fanbase, can be wasteful or will make an error, but he plays so deep at the moment as we're low on midfielders. It's just not his position, he fluffed a real obvious chance for a goal prior to scoring and it looked like that might have been the highlight of his game. But the goal was a lovely finish, an example of what he can. The more chances he gets to run in behind, the more he'll score I think

Where does he typically play with you?

Because I've seen him used in about 4 different types of roles - out wide (I think he's pretty decent out wide cutting inside, imo), as an out-and-out striker (tbh, I've seen him play as a striker once and... it was horrible lol), as a second-striker/attacking midfielder (I thought he looked brilliant here), and as a CM in a 4-4-2 formation (the first time I watched him play a full 90 minutes was as a CM for the national team and I thought he was pretty good).

You say he's playing deeper because you're low on midfielders, so I'm assuming he's in central midfield. It's probably a bit tougher playing CM against Championship sides than some of the sides he's faced with Iran, so not surprised he's struggled more. This is also, imo, a tougher league than Ligue 1... and he did make the step up to Amiens from Sweden, where I think we all agree isn't really the standard of either league. And I think he was banned for playing in France for quite a while, due to him signing a contract with a La Liga club before moving to France - which would probably slow down his development to better leagues than the Swedish league.

But based off what I've seen of him, I think you're right... the more you get him running in behind - the more attacking output you'll see from him.

He's got a lot of talent imo, if he can develop consistency playing at this level (or higher if Brentford get promoted, which hopefully they do) he could be a really great player.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Where does he typically play with you?

Because I've seen him used in about 4 different types of roles - out wide (I think he's pretty decent out wide cutting inside, imo), as an out-and-out striker (tbh, I've seen him play as a striker once and... it was horrible lol), as a second-striker/attacking midfielder (I thought he looked brilliant here), and as a CM in a 4-4-2 formation (the first time I watched him play a full 90 minutes was as a CM for the national team and I thought he was pretty good).

You say he's playing deeper because you're low on midfielders, so I'm assuming he's in central midfield. It's probably a bit tougher playing CM against Championship sides than some of the sides he's faced with Iran, so not surprised he's struggled more. This is also, imo, a tougher league than Ligue 1... and he did make the step up to Amiens from Sweden, where I think we all agree isn't really the standard of either league. And I think he was banned for playing in France for quite a while, due to him signing a contract with a La Liga club before moving to France - which would probably slow down his development to better leagues than the Swedish league.

But based off what I've seen of him, I think you're right... the more you get him running in behind - the more attacking output you'll see from him.

He's got a lot of talent imo, if he can develop consistency playing at this level (or higher if Brentford get promoted, which hopefully they do) he could be a really great player.

Yeah I think between an injury and contract issues he was out for a while, but he was prolific in Sweden and that's the sort of form we're trying to get out of him. He's been playing in a 4-3-3/4-2-4 hybrid, defensively he's a midfielder but offensively he pushes into the strikers role as more of an attacking mid/second striker. He presses well and gets back into a defensive structure well, but is naff in the tackle which is expected from a forward. He's not an out and out striker, back to goal type, but he is best when he has freedom to push on and run in behind a defender, through the lines and play off of someone.

If he's not scoring he can seem like he doesn't do a lot in an offensive sense, he's part of a group of players we have that perform between "meh" and good consistently. But the more opportunities he gets to go forward the more I think he'll score. Had a bit of a dodgy miss today, but made up for it with a lovely angled strike past the keeper. If he gets to 10 goals this season then I think he's had a good season all things considered, the team's just going through a stressful period at the moment with the glitch in form but he's helped us out today regardless of him being wasteful in possession and in front of goal.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived