talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bristol City Appoint Nigel Pearson

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's had an up and down career as a whole but he took Leicester up and kept them up, took Watford out of a pretty abysmal run and was sacked when they were out of the relegation spots.

Also, Bristol City are hopelessly shit at the moment. Heard a stat recently that they have been outshot by nearly every opponent they've faced, considering Pearson's work at Watford and Leicester I don't see why this won't work out. If he gets them to the Premier League and secures safety then you say it's a job well done.

Conceded more than two of the bottom three, beaten nine times away from home and only two teams have conceded more than them away from home. To me, they need organising and while it may not exactly be pretty or the most fluid of styles at time, I think it’s the sort of job for Pearson, at the minute. 

I actual think he's a good manager, he was doing a fantastic job at Leicester before his son decided to racially abuse a Thai prostitute whilst playing for a Thai owned football club. 

Must of really hurt to see your hard work pay off for someone else. 

• Administrator

Given some of the comments so far, it's the perfect job for Pearson.

He's got a (good) reputation of stabilising clubs in the short-term, but also helping them progress as a longer-term project. He'll get rid of players that won't fit the specific mould and requirements needed, and find players that do have that determination and drive to get a club out of the shit - basically he won't take any shit himself but he is very well respected by pretty much every one that works for and plays under him.

He'll get clubs well organised on the pitch, and as much as he can off it. 

It's a shrewd appointment by Bristol City. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they were getting play-offs (or close to) by this time next season. The rest of this season can be to just settle things and stop the recent rot. Have a good summer transfer window and then progress next season.

I hope it works out for him. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Given some of the comments so far, it's the perfect job for Pearson.

He's got a (good) reputation of stabilising clubs in the short-term, but also helping them progress as a longer-term project. He'll get rid of players that won't fit the specific mould and requirements needed, and find players that do have that determination and drive to get a club out of the shit - basically he won't take any shit himself but he is very well respected by pretty much every one that works for and plays under him.

He'll get clubs well organised on the pitch, and as much as he can off it. 

It's a shrewd appointment by Bristol City. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they were getting play-offs (or close to) by this time next season. The rest of this season can be to just settle things and stop the recent rot. Have a good summer transfer window and then progress next season.

I hope it works out for him. 

How much credit do you think he deserves for the title win Stan?

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Devil said:

How much credit do you think he deserves for the title win Stan?

He can't go without any credit, but there was a big difference in to how we played in 2014/15 and how we progressed in 2015/16.

He built the foundations way before that 2014/15 'great escape' season. He gathered a squad equipped to be promoted from the Championship, again after a turbulent time season previous that where we lost to Watford in the play-offs in literally the last seconds. Pearson made sure we used that as a positive thing, to motivate and spur us on to avenge it in the season after. And we did just that breaking records in the process. Some players in that squad - who are still here now (Vardy, Schmeichel, Morgan) - at the time and soon after he was sacked reference Pearson's influence in the squad and how he helped players believe in themselves to work hard and achieve what they wanted to as a consequence.

There's so many factors to that title win though. It's not just Ranieri and the well-documented triumvirate of Kante/Mahrez/Vardy. Pearson is one of those factors amongst several others.  

• Subscriber

He basically signed that entire squad that won the league. Even Kante who came in under Ranieri technically only happened because his old assistants Walsh & Shakespeare pestered Ranieri about it every day. He didn't get out of them what Ranieri did in that first season, but who knows what would've actually happened if he'd stayed.

This to me feels about the right level of job for him. More of a clean slate you would imagine than going in and trying to save Watford. Bristol City are dropping like a stone at the minute and just arresting that is the first part. I've no doubt things will pick up. I really hope he takes them up though. I've wanted Bristol City to go up for a while - a bit of variety in the league is always a good thing.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

He basically signed that entire squad that won the league. Even Kante who came in under Ranieri technically only happened because his old assistants Walsh & Shakespeare pestered Ranieri about it every day. He didn't get out of them what Ranieri did in that first season, but who knows what would've actually happened if he'd stayed.

I think we'd have survived, probably mid-table again. We wouldn't have won the league with him in charge. 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think we'd have survived, probably mid-table again. We wouldn't have won the league with him in charge. 

I don't think we'd have won the league but I think the way we finished the season before, we'd have probably bettered midtable imo, especially with Kante coming in, Kante was a miracle signing.

10 minutes ago, Dan said:

Derby's players after all have since proven themselves to be roaring successes. He'll bomb out the frauds, it just can backfire, like it did at Derby.

Matej Vydra, Craig Bryson, Will Hughes, Tom Ince, Max Lowe, Cyrus Christie, Scott Carson, Bradley Johnson, Tom Ince, Darren Bent, David Nugent.

Most of them have gone on to play in the Premier League, all of them went on to play in the playoffs, all of them benefitted without the gorm Pearson.

The man is an absolute fraud and its a shame that we will not see a city like Bristol represented in the Premier League realistically any time soon. 

• Subscriber

He's not in charge tonight, but the sheer presence of the man and we see them racing to a 3 goal lead away at play-off chasing Middlesbrough. Maybe less of this lot need bombing out than we feared.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

He's not in charge tonight, but the sheer presence of the man and we see them racing to a 3 goal lead away at play-off chasing Middlesbrough. Maybe less of this lot need bombing out than we feared.

Diedhiou could be massive for him. He has six months on his contract, has made it known he wants to stay but the last regime suggested it wouldn't be possible.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Dan said:

I was unaware he'd turned down Palace. Wonder if that was before he came here.

Ah so that's why @The Palace Fan dislikes him. One of the greatest British managers ever turned down the mighty Palace :ph34r:

• Subscriber

This is very much where he sinks or swims.

Seems pretty obvious to me already he wants an overhaul. Now the question is, do they do a Leicester, persist, gradually mould the team the way he wants it and pick up, or do they do a Derby, bomb him out and keep bobbling in the Championship.

If it's the latter than quite frankly I don't know why they even bothered with him in the first place.

I'm pretty sure only Leicester fans think Pearson is anything other than shite. The bloke has failed time and time again yet seems to be hyped up because of his media outbursts and laying the foundations of that title winning side (that he had nothing to do with, I may add). 

Archived