• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Turning 40

football forum

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

I am old, fat with false teeth and a full set of grey hair but I am ...

:banana:HAPPY:hh:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4712saj64p3fm994i5a1

Gotta be one of the best clips online that, he's such a happy guy 😂

I hope I have that much life in me if I get to his age but I think I'm more likely gonna being a grumpy old git. 

33 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Mate, if it makes you feel any better I'm still several years away from 40, but I feel older than fucking Gandalf.

Doesn't make me feel better but thanks all the same. 

I just wish I could do it all over again, my kids the holidays, the missed opportunities.

My dream was the army and I did all the training etc.. Went away did the whole fitness tests, interview and flew through it and then before my start date I did something really stupid and threw away my childhood dream. 

I think that's a large part of why I find aging hard, other than my wife and children I've never felt I've achieved what my life goal was. I wanted to travel the world with the army, possibly be a Marine or special forces. 

18 hours ago, Devil said:

I thought 30 was the new 21 when I turned 30 but all that happened is my legs started hurting the day after playing football and I was told I could no longer refer to myself as part of the younger generation. 

Maybe I should have a midlife crisis, leave my wife and find myself one of these young women who like older men.

Try to bat back the midlife crisis until your in your 50's imo. That's my plan anyway

14 hours ago, Devil said:

I'm not even like a silver fox or anything I'm like a weird Michael J Fox character that seems to refuse to age. 

It's depressing. 

It's really not a bad thing mate. I still remember my now wife's dad came to my 21st and everyone thought he was her brother. 

He still talks about it.

Upside only

1 hour ago, Harry said:

It's really not a bad thing mate. I still remember my now wife's dad came to my 21st and everyone thought he was her brother. 

He still talks about it.

Upside only

I don't mind looking young really just having a laugh really it's more the fact I work in construction and it wasn't really what I had my heart set on in life but I've made best with it. 

I've got several mates who did the armed forces routes and they both came out with incredible careers after, one's built a personal training business and basically deals with footballers, celebs etc.. and the other is living in Stockholm and basically travels the world scuba diving, not sure what the job he does whilst he does it but it's not your average day to day profession. 

But like everyone else I'm thankful for what I've got and I have the most amazing little family so it should be so down about aging I suppose. 

6 minutes ago, Devil said:

But like everyone else I'm thankful for what I've got and I have the most amazing little family so it should be so down about ageing I suppose. 

Absolutely this. Got several mates without kids who travel 6 times a year doing whatever they want, no cares and no responsibility. Meanwhile, I’m getting woken up by a 6 month old twice a night, a 3 year old pissing the bed and an 8 year old having nightmares. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

For what it's worth I remember my 40th b'day very well.  I was managing a pro club and getting ready to sort out the end of season playing squad with the team Coach.  We needed two players to fill gaps and not only made good choices, but the two were mainly responsible for the following year getting us to Wembley for the Cup Final (which we lost) but that visit and day in May 1979 was something which will never, ever, leave the memory!  Life after that was just as good as all those before and now 40 more years later, it's still worth hanging on to!  Only downhill if you let it happen that way, and be certain that if you do things correctly even at this stage there will be more than one who still luvs ya!

18 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

For what it's worth I remember my 40th b'day very well.  I was managing a pro club and getting ready to sort out the end of season playing squad with the team Coach.  We needed two players to fill gaps and not only made good choices, but the two were mainly responsible for the following year getting us to Wembley for the Cup Final (which we lost) but that visit and day in May 1979 was something which will never, ever, leave the memory!  Life after that was just as good as all those before and now 40 more years later, it's still worth hanging on to!  Only downhill if you let it happen that way, and be certain that if you do things correctly even at this stage there will be more than one who still luvs ya!

Wait... you were a manager or something for United??

Rugby - in those days the clubs were run by the Secretary/Manager and the teams were under the control of the Coach.  All players were semi-pro and had normal jobs and not full time Rubgy players, but that year one Bill Ashurst was signed from Wigan and effectively became a full-time members of the club.  He was an International with experience in Aussie and with his help the Club made it to Wembley in 1979. We lost probably due to the fact that at that time he was not 100%fit but insisted on playing but the opposition, Widnes, were a great side at that time and even with a fully fit side we would have been pushed to beat them - but it was a year to remember!

On 26/02/2021 at 05:29, SchalkeUK said:

Wow. What an anecdote. I didn't realise you were in your 80's. Fantastic to see you checking in on the forum. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Wow. What an anecdote. I didn't realise you were in your 80's. Fantastic to see you checking in on the forum. 

Hey kiddo - I've been here since it first started and spend more time on this than any other part of the web - like Tommy and Stan we grow old together although I am growing a bit older than most!!!:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:

1 hour ago, Cazza said:

I have never been into League but would have been interested if a team came to the west coast but never did and still hasn't so it was always seen as an East coast game. I have watched it and can say it is a Good game but for me just a televisual treat. It looks like the divide doesn't stop there as it is seen as a northern game with not many teams from the South. I bet you have some memories and stories to tell.

One of my most treasured memories of the Us  was when Missus and I visited the Lincoln Memorial in 1976 and watched a group of young guys playing on the field next to the memorial near the River - they were actually playing Rugby League which was incredible.  Would not have believed it had I not seen it! As For Luton Town - One of the Directors of the Club was working in the Theatre Club which was part of the ground at the time  and he gave me a piece of Astro Turf which was an offcut from your original pitch.  My girls played on it for some time in the garden - the guy - Eric Morecambe!  Ah well!!

Archived