talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Turning 40

football forum

30 minutes ago, Cazza said:

That's why I'm here I deleted myself there as I found it misogynistic,  racist, xenophobic, homophobic and horrible. Just would like @unique and @Devil to stay here.

Do you not think I'm assimilating well here?

Of course. I was just making a joke, saying to you three what other people say about immigrants

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Toinho said:

We’d likely find something else to discriminate and decimate about. 

I agree. But would we have still reached current levels of enlightenment? Would we have found tolerance and decency without the scriptures that underpinned religions? 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree. But would we have still reached current levels of enlightenment? Would we have found tolerance and decency without the scriptures that underpinned religions? 

Are you saying people are only kind because of some stories that helped people explain things in a time where science wasn’t as advanced as we are now? Like, religious scriptures actually promote hatred and discrimination mate.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

@Devil is this how you envisaged this thread turning xD

😂

Guns and religion, its span off in directions I could never imagine. 

All interesting debate so that's all that matters but let's not forget the true beating heart of this thread. 

My pain at turning fossil like and the fact young hot girls no longer find me attractive in the gym. 

It's really breaking my heart. 

5 minutes ago, Devil said:

😂

Guns and religion, its span off in directions I could never imagine. 

All interesting debate so that's all that matters but let's not forget the true beating heart of this thread. 

My pain at turning fossil like and the fact young hot girls no longer find me attractive in the gym. 

It's really breaking my heart. 

True back on topic. Sorry mate 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Toinho said:

But it does appear it helps many people be “kind, decent, and tolerant”.Maybe it is good we have religion if people need to be told how to behave tolerantly. Never thought of it like that.  

I am afraid I went off religion back in my army days wherein NI on a tour of duty we had to visit mortuaries in what we called body checks where we had to check if any fatalities were known to us or the constabulary, we got used to seeing what I will not describe here but when you see young children lying there and knowing they were killed over a religious belief that, I am afraid, turned me against religion then.

It's was only later on in years when speaking to the wife's uncle who was Irish and served in the army with me when I told him about my experience then said "I have seen that all too John, but we have to believe in something, don't we?, there is good and there is evil, having  good, God to believe in counters the evil side of life", it did make me think when I saw my two kids and wife and knew they were alive and I thought to myself "Thank God for that"

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Completely removing religion from the history of humanity would cause such a massive change in the course of events that there's absolutely no way of predicting what would have happened in such an alternative world. There are arguments both against and in favour of religion to be made; I personally agree that it had an important role to play in the course of human history. I have to disagree when it comes to humans not developing tolerance or decency without religion though, as moral behaviour most likely arose from the need to live and work together in large social groups in order to improve the chances of survival; it's basically a byproduct of the evolution. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Completely removing religion from the history of humanity would cause such a massive change in the course of events that there's absolutely no way of predicting what would have happened in such an alternative world. There are arguments both against and in favour of religion to be made; I personally agree that it had an important role to play in the course of human history. I have to disagree when it comes to humans not developing tolerance or decency without religion though, as moral behaviour most likely arose from the need to live and work together in large social groups in order to improve the chances of survival; it's basically a byproduct of the evolution. 

Yeah sorry I didn't articulate it correctly.

My main point was about the European enlightenment and Renaissance, and many earlier moments of similar significance. Would our advancement of science and technology have happened at the same pace? Would a life without belief in a higher purpose have spurred the same accelerations of society as have transpired in history?

The latter point, really was just to say that most societies laws and customs are somewhat derived from their values, which usually align with the religious scriptures of that society. Not to say we'd all be stabbing each other if not for the Bible, etc.

52 minutes ago, Cazza said:

Now, you've seen me and you know my husband is older but he isn't what anyone would consider 'good looking'  my opinion is biased but our association isn't based on looks but mutual respect, independence and he fact he is very mature. Many my age look for more reassurance and go for older men so don't knock yourself. Ever seen 'lost in translation'? And don't pick up in the gym.... No no. 

Caz I'm not trying to pick up in the gym really, I'm a happily married man. I wouldn't trade that in for some young hot thing in the gym however pert and perfect she looked in her yoga pants and crop top.

But like most men and women it's nice to know you could still get that if you wanted it. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Yeah sorry I didn't articulate it correctly.

My main point was about the European enlightenment and Renaissance, and many earlier moments of similar significance. Would our advancement of science and technology have happened at the same pace? Would a life without belief in a higher purpose have spurred the same accelerations of society as have transpired in history?

The latter point, really was just to say that most societies laws and customs are somewhat derived from their values, which usually align with the religious scriptures of that society. Not to say we'd all be stabbing each other if not for the Bible, etc.

It's impossible to say, simply because religion, in however rudimentary form, has been a part of human history and culture from the very dawn of our species, so it is inevitably intertwined with all key events of our timeline. It is indeed indisputable that religious insitutions and societies had a huge role in advancement of sciene and technology throughout the history; however, it is not to say that without it, those advancements would have happened at a slower pace or wouldn't have happened at all - there's good reason to believe that some other form of a societal institution would have driven the research instead. Talking about the Age of Enlightment and the Renaissance in Europe (as well as the Islamic Golden Age prior to that), rise of humanism and concepts of individual freedom; it all was influenced primarily by rediscovery of classic antiquity thought; both in terms of philosophy and scientific knowledge - it was merely reimagined and adapted to the context of Christianity. Sure, those ancient societies also had religious practices, so once again we're back to square one - religion has always been part of human society, so it is impossible to say whether it was an active agent in certain events, or simpy existed while said events happened. Which leads me to the part in bold - I'd personally say yes, a life without belief in the supernatural and religion-assigned purpose would have still led to the same acceleration of society, because the way I see it, the main reasons for advances in science and technology are the natural inquisitiviness of a human mind, curiosity, the inherent desire and need to ask question in order to understand and explain the world around us. 

1 hour ago, Cazza said:

I'm glad that's sorted.... I'm yoga pants but Weagles guernsey, but passing my prime with no interest in the gym (speaking with a can of moretti in hand).... Life is easier that way.

What's a Weagle Guernsey 😂

Everyone's different aren't they but I do personally find women who make the time and effort to look in shape more attractive. 

Dunno if that makes me shallow but it's just the way my mind works. 

32 minutes ago, Cazza said:

A West Coast Eagles playing strip.... I am in perfect trim maybe a bit of puppy fat after child birth.

I wasn't trying to make you feel bad off the back of your previous post. 

I've seen your pictures, your a good looking girl. 

👍🏻

32 minutes ago, Cazza said:

Nah, I'm my own worst critic, the Guernsey is actually tight on me.

Aren't we all. 

Try turning 40, so depressing. 

Just wish I could rewind and start again with my mates.

5 minutes ago, Cazza said:

I think I'll always be somewhere in my mid thirties.

How's the other forum has Harold banned anyone... Mags perhaps?

Dunno, I'm not on there anymore. 

Haven't been since November like you. 

I have looked however and its now about 6 members revolving around any nonsense Mags posts. 

Thats the past though, I only post here now. Nice people with no agendas. No idea why people enjoying trolling or lying. 

1 hour ago, Cazza said:

Yeah so true, decent people here and no bullshit....  Such a secular forum and being forced to like Scottish football and hate younger people!

Would be nice to have a Watford fan on here, like a play thing!

To be fair the Scottish football thing didn't bother me because I like all football and it was mainly Scottish football fans on there so you can understand why they would want to talk about Scottish football. 

There was most certainly a clique on the forum though, shame because I thought it was funny for a period but now I'm glad I'm not part of it. Nice to be able to post and it not be constantly followed up by someone lying and attempting to get under your skin for laughs. 

Anyway enough of that, sick of talking about that forum now. 

Let's get this thread back on the original subject matter, turning 40 or turning whatever milestone anyone other member is. 

I'm certainly feeling all of my 39 years of age this morning after a heavy weekend, it's a run tonight with my mate and then chill out until it all starts again next Friday. 

my opinion is your over the hill as soon as you stop getting money in your birthday cards. as soon as you get to that age you have to take life more serious and thats no fun at all. i do my best to remain as childish as possible though. 

2 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

my opinion is your over the hill as soon as you stop getting money in your birthday cards. as soon as you get to that age you have to take life more serious and thats no fun at all. i do my best to remain as childish as possible though. 

I'm like that with my nieces and nephews, they must think I'm an absolute idiot because I'm nearly 40 and yet I still act like a teenager on purpose with them to wind them up. 

I wouldn't mind one's 29 and the others 26!

I actually convinced my nieces son (who all call my nephew anyway) that I once had a pet giraffe that I fed form bedroom window. Unfortunately Jeffrey the Giraffe is no more though, he broke his neck on a motorway bridge on a trip to Blackpool beach. 

5 minutes ago, Devil said:

I'm like that with my nieces and nephews, they must think I'm an absolute idiot because I'm nearly 40 and yet I still act like a teenager on purpose with them to wind them up. 

I wouldn't mind one's 29 and the others 26!

I actually convinced my nieces son (who all call my nephew anyway) that I once had a pet giraffe that I fed form bedroom window. Unfortunately Jeffrey the Giraffe is no more though, he broke his neck on a motorway bridge on a trip to Blackpool beach. 

Sad that about Jeffrey - it must have been nice though, being able to feed him while you were up the Tower!:102_point_up_2:

getting older is not so bad as long as you had fun growing older. like what story should i tell my grandkids. should i tell them about the time i did my tax returns or should i tell them about the time i invited some people from the labour party into my house and had a cup of tea and a chat with them wearing nothing but my wifes underwear. or the time i got my mother in law 1 of them photo frames that change pictures for christmas and put a picture of myself in a thong on there and sat back and watched as 15 of my wifes family were scrolling through them on christmas day and the reaction to seeing my picture xD its the fun times that matter. 

24 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

getting older is not so bad as long as you had fun growing older. like what story should i tell my grandkids. should i tell them about the time i did my tax returns or should i tell them about the time i invited some people from the labour party into my house and had a cup of tea and a chat with them wearing nothing but my wifes underwear. or the time i got my mother in law 1 of them photo frames that change pictures for christmas and put a picture of myself in a thong on there and sat back and watched as 15 of my wifes family were scrolling through them on christmas day and the reaction to seeing my picture xD its the fun times that matter. 

Thats brilliant 😂

• Subscriber

This was before I was married back in my army days and the streaking craze was on, we were all in the NAAFI having a Friday night piss up and some of our troop mates bet four of us a load of booze and 50 German Deutch Mark each if we would strip off naked and run from the NAAFI up to the gate guardhouse which was about a quarter of a mile away and back again.

We did but there was a great big troop investigation the next day as my mate smudger was one of the streakers and at the time was knocking off a Sgts wife on the side and she happened to be driving through the camp, smudger run past her, she hit the brakes and nearly crashed into a tree, our troop Sgt Major had six of us in his office the next day yelling " I BET IT WAS YOU FUCKERS RUNNING NAKED THROUGH CAMP AND POOR MRS********NEARLY HAD A NASTY ACCIDENT!!", us standing to attention saying "No SIR, it was not us".

We got away with it and I said to smudger after in the NAFFI for another booze-up that night "She must have recognized your big chopper and balls buddy waving in the wind between your legs as you shot by her" the good old army days, single and not a care in the world. :hh: :drunk:

Archived