talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2020/21 Europa League - Round of 16 Draw

football forum

• Administrator

Draw takes place on 26th Feb at 12pm (GMT)

First legs on 11th March

Second legs on 18th March

• Tottenham
  • Club Brugge
  • Man Utd
  • Arsenal
  • AC Milan
  • Rangers
  • Slavia Prague
  • Villarreal
  • Roma
  • Dinamo Zagreb
  • Young Boys
  • Molde
  • Granada
  • Shakhtar Donetsk
  • Ajax
  • Olympiacos

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not worried about a single potential outcome of this draw if we manage to scrape through tonight's second leg. haha!

I know Spurs beat us earlier in the season but that was when we were criminally unfit and Spurs were in form, I think we take the current Spurs team. 

8 minutes ago, Devil said:

Not worried about a single potential outcome of this draw if we manage to scrape through tonight's second leg. haha!

I know Spurs beat us earlier in the season but that was when we were criminally unfit and Spurs were in form, I think we take the current Spurs team. 

Would be very poor from United if they don't win it. 

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Would be very poor from United if they don't win it. 

Certainly would, you could actually make a case that at least 50% of those teams would struggle to stay in the Premier league. United, Spurs and Leicester are comfortably the best three teams left in there followed by Arsenal who you can never rule out. 

5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Agreed. I’m never usually that optimistic about us, but for once, we’re the best team left in that competition by a good distance.

2017 pal, I actually declared us the winner by the round of 16. I think us and Ajax were the only two sides of any substance left in it and we both got to the final.

• Administrator

They may not be in the best form but I'd still be wary of the likes of Roma, Benfica, Napoli, Ajax if they all get through.

But I do agree Man Utd are probably clear favourites right now.

The underestimation of some of the other sides in this competition by some members on here is quite surprising. Yeah, I'd probably have Man Utd as favourites to win this competition if I was pressed, but it is far from certain and they are definitely not clear favourites given some of the competition still left in this tournament. As for all the English clubs being better than the rest of the competition, well again, those are just unsubstantiated claims. Sure, all of the English clubs are among the favourites, but they are not necessarily the best 4 in the competition.  

Ajax and Bayer Leverkusen are real threats still left in the competition and even the likes of Shakhtar, Villarreal, AC Milan and Hoffenheim are outside bets who could potentially go very deep in the competition. It's not as if Man Utd found this competition a walk in the park last season, with mostly the same team, they struggled past Copenhagen and then were relatively comfortably knocked out by Seville. Of course on their day, United can play some excellent football, but the point is that they aren't miles ahead of the other clubs in the competition, like some seem to be suggesting. There are several clubs who have a very good chance of winning this competition and they aren't all English clubs. 

15 hours ago, Michael said:

The underestimation of some of the other sides in this competition by some members on here is quite surprising. Yeah, I'd probably have Man Utd as favourites to win this competition.

Mate, we’ve literally said that on paper, we should be winning this competition, and we should. That’s not underestimating anyone. You can state you should be clearly winning a competition without underestimating the other teams. Of course, we’ll always have a natural bias toward our team/league but I genuinely think you’ll find that with fans of any team and league.

15 hours ago, Michael said:

The underestimation of some of the other sides in this competition by some members on here is quite surprising. Yeah, I'd probably have Man Utd as favourites to win this competition if I was pressed, but it is far from certain and they are definitely not clear favourites given some of the competition still left in this tournament. As for all the English clubs being better than the rest of the competition, well again, those are just unsubstantiated claims. Sure, all of the English clubs are among the favourites, but they are not necessarily the best 4 in the competition.  

Ajax and Bayer Leverkusen are real threats still left in the competition and even the likes of Shakhtar, Villarreal, AC Milan and Hoffenheim are outside bets who could potentially go very deep in the competition. It's not as if Man Utd found this competition a walk in the park last season, with mostly the same team, they struggled past Copenhagen and then were relatively comfortably knocked out by Seville. Of course on their day, United can play some excellent football, but the point is that they aren't miles ahead of the other clubs in the competition, like some seem to be suggesting. There are several clubs who have a very good chance of winning this competition and they aren't all English clubs. 

Leverkusen were that good they were eliminated by Young boys. 

I get what you are saying and I agree you can't look past opposition but the quality and experience of Seville in this competition is far great than any team currently left in this year. You have to remember they beat both us and Inter Milan to win the trophy, that's a decent achievement and I don't believe any of the teams left in are of the same quality as Inter this season. Milan are pretty decent but even their early season form has collapsed a little and I actually think they will have their attention elsewhere. 

• Administrator

Ajax vs Young Boys
Dynamo Kiev vs Villarreal
Roma vs Shakhtar Donetsk
Olympiacos vs Arsenal
Dinamo Zagreb vs Tottenham
Man Utd vs AC Milan
Slavia Prague vs Rangers
Granada vs Molde

5 hours ago, Devil said:

Leverkusen were that good they were eliminated by Young boys. 

I get what you are saying and I agree you can't look past opposition but the quality and experience of Seville in this competition is far great than any team currently left in this year. You have to remember they beat both us and Inter Milan to win the trophy, that's a decent achievement and I don't believe any of the teams left in are of the same quality as Inter this season. Milan are pretty decent but even their early season form has collapsed a little and I actually think they will have their attention elsewhere. 

22 hours ago, Devil said:

Certainly would, you could actually make a case that at least 50% of those teams would struggle to stay in the Premier league. United, Spurs and Leicester are comfortably the best three teams left in there followed by Arsenal who you can never rule out. 

Yes, Leverkusen got eliminated, just like Leicester City were so good that they got eliminated by Slavia Prague.

There were a several legitimate reasons as to why Leverkusen got eliminated, you would know that if you knew the team well and if you followed them. The same argument could be made for Leicester City in fairness. But that's taking nothing away from Young Boys or Slavia Prague. Young Boys are by far the best team in their country and they are a very well organised and tough side. They also have several very skilled players so they will be a tough nut for whoever they play. They are certainly a better side than Copenhagen were last season for example.

Yeah, Seville had a lot of experience, but they got outplayed by Dortmund on home turf not so long ago. While Leverkusen for example are almost on Dortmund's level when both sides have their best teams available. My whole point earlier was that there isn't much difference in terms of quality between the English clubs in this competition and the likes of Ajax or Leverkusen. While even some of the other sides can cause a genuine shock on their day and can't be underestimated. I still have Man Utd as slight favourites to win it, but it isn't going to be easy at all for them to do so. Anyway, good luck to United, it would be nice to see them win it again having won it not so long ago. They have good experience in this competition as well.

• Subscriber

Manchester United are absolutely the best side left in this competition, it’s not particularly close, and if they don’t win it then it would be a big shock. Can see an all English final if they avoid each other. Only other side Id be worried about is Shakhtar. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived