talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2021 - Discussion Thread

football forum

Couldn't see a thread for this and seeing as the release date is not far away, I thought we might as well start one now. 

Release date has been announced as 24th November on Steam and Epic Stores, while the game will also release on Xbox after 13 years. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/football-manager-2021-gets-november-release-date-coming-to-xbox-platforms

The Touch versions will release shortly after, with the Switch version in December. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Interesting that it's playable on a few platforms with one purchase. i only have PC and Xbox anyway so can't see myself playing FM on Xbox but I might give it a try to see how it translates onto a console. Quite happy with FM20 at the moment though!

1 hour ago, Pyfish said:

Interesting that it's playable on a few platforms with one purchase. i only have PC and Xbox anyway so can't see myself playing FM on Xbox but I might give it a try to see how it translates onto a console. Quite happy with FM20 at the moment though!

I did have FM06 on 360 and in fairness, it was actually alright once you got around the fiddly controls. Of course, it wasn't as detailed as it is now though, but the Switch version still works well enough. 

Nothing will beat a mouse mind. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
48 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

FM21 to have a body language feature. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-13-football-manager-2021-has-body-language-for-chats-with-players

Is it me or is it starting to get a bit too realistic now? 

Quite an interesting feature. Allows you to gauge how the conversation is going I guess. Still undecided if I'm going to get this one as I only got 2020 a few months ago.

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

FM21 to have a body language feature. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-13-football-manager-2021-has-body-language-for-chats-with-players

Is it me or is it starting to get a bit too realistic now? 

That's...a bit too much, imo. Hardly adds anything of interest to the game. 

What I like is the new feature of asking the agent about the availability of the player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I think FM20 was really good but ruined by the match engine. You have more chance of scoring from 25 yards than you do one on one.

That said I think it's too easy to get one on one in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned

Still undecided on who to manage.

Might do a mess around season with Arsenal or Juventus just to get used to the new features without having to focus too much on being invested. For a "serious save" I'm tempted to start with a Villareal, Forest or even Hertha Berlin again. Theyve all signed so many players i can spend a season weeding out crap and building a scouting infrastructure to take them teams to the next level over 2/3 seasons.

Wigan is the most appealing save for challenge reasons but looking at that side I reckon I could find myself getting quickly sacked.

Apparently the beta is available for FM21 now. Guess it's for those who preordered the game like previous years. 

Also, for anyone interested, here is an interview with Miles Jacobsen (Sport Interactive's head) on how Football Manager has tried to 'tackle the strangest of seasons' for this year's version. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-10-how-football-manager-is-tackling-the-strangest-of-seasons

Will probably start at the bottom again but with a slight twist, I think. While I've thoroughly enjoyed starting in the Vanarama North and South and then signing the eighteen and nineteen year-olds released by Premier League clubs and watching them tear up the respective leagues with Billericay Town, Curzon Ashton and now Chelmsford City, doing the same thing again and again get a bit boring. 

Will inevitably get this for Christmas, so I have time to think of something.

• Subscriber

Bought it. Started as Leicester but only really doing it as a bit of a test, and not a serious save, I can't fully take the beta seriously for some reason. Only played a couple of friendlies which included getting smacked by CSKA Moscow. It does baffle me at times how you can get it so wrong with what seem sensible tactics.

Leicester absolutely shafted as per. We've got no money to spend because of this Fofana deal and yet the result on FM20 is a very average young defender, so we still have a void at centre back. I don't think I'm going to be pulling up many trees. Harvey Barnes is still at best an upper Championship player as well, which is laughable but totally predictable.

It only took until December for a takeover at Wigan to happen. Had to trim down the wage bill every month and seen a lot of good players be forced to go out on loan to non league clubs so the club wouldn't go under.

Was really looking forward to recalling then. The new owner? Nahh. No new funds. Not satisfied with the team being outside the playoffs. We were projected to finish 24th ffs.

On 12/11/2020 at 01:23, Dan said:

Bought it. Started as Leicester but only really doing it as a bit of a test, and not a serious save, I can't fully take the beta seriously for some reason. Only played a couple of friendlies which included getting smacked by CSKA Moscow. It does baffle me at times how you can get it so wrong with what seem sensible tactics.

Leicester absolutely shafted as per. We've got no money to spend because of this Fofana deal and yet the result on FM20 is a very average young defender, so we still have a void at centre back. I don't think I'm going to be pulling up many trees. Harvey Barnes is still at best an upper Championship player as well, which is laughable but totally predictable.

Yeah, same discrepancies emerging. I need to get myself a missus who rates me as highly as FM rate Callum Wilson.

• Subscriber

Played about 8 games as Leicester manager so far. Not really taking it too seriously as a save. Probably a mistake to pick Leicester as there's no club I'm as consistently awful with. My early analysis...

Positives:

- Match engine is definitely better, we've scored a couple of goals that would never have happened on a previous FM (and certainly not 20) through just sheer intelligence of the players' movement, and improved finishing. This was the big thing and for me, they have made that better.

- It's notably quicker, but in fairness, I've only selected England so that's probably a total moot point.

- I ultimately am not going to list a lot of things on this because I rated FM20 as really good, there's a reason I spent that bloody long playing it, they have ultimately improved the biggest drawback.

Negatives:

- Match interface. While the match engine has improved, I really don't like the interface and think it's just a bit of a mess in truth. I may get used to it in time so again, this may all become a nothing point, but everything's a bit all over the place. The assistant instructions are even more annoying and in your face than they were before, somehow, and I just found it a bit easier to navigate matches on 20. It may just be the fact it's new, but I'm not a fan. The teamsheets are smart, mind.

- Fixture calendar is still shit. I know it's really petty but I just think the level of detail they go into on parts of this game are incredible, yet they still can't sort me a fixture list that doesn't finish with two home games, two away games etc... has a run of four straight away games. In real life the rule is over a 5 game period, you can't have more than 3 away games, or 3 home games. Surely that's quite a simple thing to apply in a game like this. Oh and as for the Europa League - I mean don't get me wrong this seasons is a bit of a one off schedule but check this mess out xD

image.thumb.png.95ed21756d81fa2fc4681e2d9d645558.png

Again like I say, they get so many little details right but that's a proper mess - three Europa League games in seven days? That isn't happening in real life. Maybe it's because it's the beta, I don't know.

- The biggest fault so far, and this is a really weird one, but they seem to have removed the match timeline? I was playing a game, Chelsea away, and I lost 1-0 through an 85th minute goal. I made a sub immediately after that goal to bring on Perez for Ndidi, and I was quizzed about why I subbed Barnes on, and then off again. I've touched on another point there - it's buggy when it comes to switching players, it selects the wrong one but I'm sure that's just a beta problem. So yeah, I had absolutely no idea that I'd taken Barnes off for Perez, rather than Ndidi so I just wanted to watch the last couple of minutes of the game to see if I actually had left Ndidi on the wing by accident - to find that I can't even do this anymore? They've now taken away the match timeline. I think that's a really crap alteration personally.

I'm always quite slow to get into FM hence why I haven't played all that much yet, and it's a mistake picking Leicester, but yeah - the expected big plus, but some odd negatives that I didn't expect.

31 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

@Bluebird Hewitt don't know if you're on mobile version again this year.

I'm gonna wait until I've finished my current save. About 7 or 8 seasons away from the 30 the mobile version allows

Cheers for that. Some interesting additions there for the mobile versions. Surprised they put the dynamics system in there as that's fairly new for the PC version. 

Got Wigan out The Championship in two seasons. 

100% sign Richard Nartey on a free if you start at that level. He settles on 1.4k p/w and really steps up.

In the second season you can get  plethora of good young players on loan which works cheaper than paying agent fees, bonuses etc on free transfers. Billy Koumetio, Fabio Carvalho, Louie Barry, Noah Kenneh, Jenson Weir, Aaron Ramsey, Sam Greenwood, Marc Guehi and Nial Ennis are ones I've seen lurking around.

• Subscriber

I've caved and it's downloading now. Only bought 2020 a few months ago but played it for hours on end before FIFA21 came out so will probably flit between FIFA and FM again now I've got the latest for both.

Only been out for a few days, but definitely enjoying FM21 more than its predecessors.

Definitely smoother in all aspects and autosaving isn't the annoyance it was before. Just a nicer game.

Perhaps Sports Interactive should work from home all the time!

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Only been out for a few days, but definitely enjoying FM21 more than its predecessors.

Definitely smoother in all aspects and autosaving isn't the annoyance it was before. Just a nicer game.

Perhaps Sports Interactive should work from home all the time!

Only been playing since yesterday afternoon but I agree! It seems a lot smoother compared to FM20. A lot of reviewers have said they don't like the new match interface but I find it a lot more intuitive and user friendly.

5 league games in and I'm not doing badly!

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived