talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2021 - Discussion Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Interesting to see that Southampton have become a mid-table Championship club @Pyfish.

Looks like it's their third consecutive season too. Finished 3rd and 4th in previous seasons but must have lost out in the playoffs.

They paid £13m for Bamford...

image.png.d62f286fdf2bd128175c400276800242.png

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Got headhunted by Rangers after the season finished so I've accepted a job there. I could have done another few seasons at Grimsby but it was too good of a job offer to turn down and a real chance to get some trophies!

Recent developments:

Moneyballed Billy Koumetio from 400k to 35m. He chose China over Spurs xD.

Jamal Musiala not as successful. Singled for 5m sold for 15m and Dortmund had a 40% sell on clause.

Bought a left back from Glentoran for 7k that I imagine will be worth 40m+ in two years time.

• Subscriber

Did my bit for the finances of Grimsby by taking a couple of their players for £1m each who I'd signed when I was there either on frees or nominal fees. Tehy won't play much in my Rangers team but it'll allow them to develop.

I started unemployed with the lowest qualification and experience. Lots of jobs in Sweden's bottom tier were available and i ended up taking the job at IFK Amal who were expected to be relegated. I took over three games into the season (2 defeats and 1 win). Only 13 games played in the regular season (each team plays each other once) before promotion and relegation play offs so not much time to settle.

It started well. A draw, from 2-0 down, in my first game was followed by a 2-1 over IFK Tidaholm. Five defeats in the next six games followed. All defeats there was only a goal in it. We were unlucky in some, not so much in others. What timing for it to come together though with a 6-2 win over fellow relegation strugglers Lidkopings. A 1-1 draw saw us move out of the relegation play off place on the final day. I've been awarded with a two year contract. See where it takes us but I'm not keen on only 13 games a season. There's two weeks between most games which is annoying.

results.thumb.jpg.df7d68c7a4e41e93f7be8bef7194c614.jpg

table.jpg.c95b1084d5d58e7fb7784dd0369e6c69.jpg

So turns out the 2021 season is 26 games long. I assume the 2020 season was only 13 games because of Covid? Anyway, made a few free transfers in the summer but the squad is still considered one of the weakest in the division. A quite ridiculous start to the season.

apr21.thumb.jpg.406a6174822465e844b8dcbf37b51e21.jpg

The one we lost 3-1 at home could have quite easy ended 4-3 to us xD We sit second bottom after four games.

So here's May's results.

may21.thumb.jpg.5ad833b9094c2dcc709243b186111e13.jpg

A great start to the month was followed up with three disgusting performances. I could accept the defeats in the opening three games of the season because we were genuinely unlucky and were creating plenty. We barely created anything in the three losses above. The last game of the month was the most satisfying yet, a clean sheet, finally! We actually looked really solid at the back too after tweaking a few things, wasn't like we were holding on desperately. 

Position 12th / 14 (relegation play off place)

June 21

So that's now five unbeaten with two draws and two wins in June. 

jun21.thumb.jpg.b9944993901548a7710c5a5e783c4972.jpg

The 2-1 win over Fagersta Sodra was particularly impressive given we were down to ten men after 21 minutes. Despite the lack of clean sheets, we're looking a lot more solid defensively and controlling large parts of some of these games now.

Here's the table at the halfway stage:

tablejun21.jpg.62e01b2c84224bfc5ba67cec8ea91dc9.jpg

Started at Braintree Town of the Vanarama National League South. Their last few seasons have read as follows: relegated, promoted, relegated, season deemed null and void with them at the foot of the table. So, yeah, a club who have had a bit of a rollercoaster of a ride of that. 

Their finances are deemed “insecure”, just to add a bit of fun to proceedings. The club has also taken a £625,000 loan out, too, which they’re repaying very slowly. Unsurprisingly, I have no money to spend and the projected finances for the club look bleak. I used to start a few saves in FM20 with clubs at this level, I’d play out the first season and then I would sign a load of kids who had been released by Premier League and Championship clubs. I could do that again and I probably will try and lean on that market, if I can, but I think I’m going to try and sort the finances out too, if I can. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

June 21

So that's now five unbeaten with two draws and two wins in June. 

jun21.thumb.jpg.b9944993901548a7710c5a5e783c4972.jpg

The 2-1 win over Fagersta Sodra was particularly impressive given we were down to ten men after 21 minutes. Despite the lack of clean sheets, we're looking a lot more solid defensively and controlling large parts of some of these games now.

Here's the table at the halfway stage:

tablejun21.jpg.62e01b2c84224bfc5ba67cec8ea91dc9.jpg

Things are looking a lot better for you now! Do you think you'll be there next season?

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Started at Braintree Town of the Vanarama National League South. Their last few seasons have read as follows: relegated, promoted, relegated, season deemed null and void with them at the foot of the table. So, yeah, a club who have had a bit of a rollercoaster of a ride of that. 

Their finances are deemed “insecure”, just to add a bit of fun to proceedings. The club has also taken a £625,000 loan out, too, which they’re repaying very slowly. Unsurprisingly, I have no money to spend and the projected finances for the club look bleak. I used to start a few saves in FM20 with clubs at this level, I’d play out the first season and then I would sign a load of kids who had been released by Premier League and Championship clubs. I could do that again and I probably will try and lean on that market, if I can, but I think I’m going to try and sort the finances out too, if I can. 

I've been tempted to start a non-league save. Never started a game with a non-league team. Took the Halifax job after getting sacked from Grimsby in a previous version of the game but that's my only experience of it. Might give it a go for my next save.

49 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Things are looking a lot better for you now! Do you think you'll be there next season?

I'd imagine so. Though I do intend on this being a bit of a journeyman save so if an offer comes along I'd consider it. 

30 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Half tempted to do something like that @LFCMike just for something different (if it goes down that low in the mobile version). 

Definitely plenty of choice in nations to be able to do it. Not sure how far down some of the more obscure nations go though

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I've been lurking on the SI forum recently and have followed that thread. Well done!:congrats:

Cheers. I can't believe we ended up winning it. I think we spent four minutes all season top of the table xD

• The topic was unpinned

Archived