talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2021 - Discussion Thread

football forum

Lost both games v Bristol Rovers (1-0) and Swindon (3-2). Didn't really deserve to lose either and Swindon scored two penalties that weren't penalties imo but what can you do. Four points off third now. A few games coming up that we should win now before we play Plymouth on the last day

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Promotion was secured with a game to go. Beat Plymouth on the final day too to cost them the title. Interesting season ahead in League One!

endtable2324.jpg.9a35297a7834bd6009d7fcb4931ee646.jpg

Good work! What's the budget like for League One?

23 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Good work! What's the budget like for League One?

Currently got about £1.5m transfer budget, wage budget had increased by about £10k too I think.

Our unbelievable run coincided with us signing a CB called Lissens on loan from Norwich. He was brilliant. Need to get him back on loan or sign someone permanently at CB. Other than that pretty strong defensively. Could do with a couple of midfielders and wide players who'll score goals to take the pressure off Kieran McGrath who ended up winning League Two top scorer.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever managed in Turkey? Started a save with Alanyaspor. The fact that Turks sometimes write last name before first name, and then it's a different name in the line-up than it is on the bench is very confusing. 

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Anyone ever managed in Turkey? Started a save with Alanyaspor. The fact that Turks sometimes write last name before first name, and then it's a different name in the line-up than it is on the bench is very confusing. 

My BETA save was Galatasaray as I'd never managed in Turkey before so I feel your pain, confusing AF. 

Also, schoolboy error but I signed a load of players and then after the transfer window closed realised that there's a home grown quota that you must stick to xD.

• Subscriber
On 04/07/2021 at 13:54, Tommy said:

Did one with Kasimpasa on this save. Binned it just before my third season started as they introduced this rule where you have to play an U22 Turkish player at all times, I'd used all my money and didn't have one who was anywhere near good enough and given I'm relatively patient with saves anyway and am happy to plod along a bit for a while (meaning I'd already done this part, if that makes sense), I couldn't be bothered with yet another 2/3 seasons or so to get to where I hoped I'd be, so started with someone else.

I'm at Wisla Krakow now. They have the same rule in Poland but luckily Wisla have the players to cope with that early doors. Will do a full breakdown but I'm loving it, really good league to manage in.

Drew our first three games in League One (3-3 and 1-1 twice). Our fourth game was against Plymouth who had won their first three and sat at the top of the league. What a way to get our first win!

5-0.jpg.89f42422f5968c357c36120e3027f34a.jpg

Ahhh I hate how fucked things go in this game. Started a save with Valencia and was unbeaten up until the 23rd of December. Was 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go against Villareal and basically threw everyone forward, lost in the end 5-0.

Week later, lost 3-0 to Levente and then came up against Real Madrid (who are yet to drop a single point) and lost 6-3. 

Most embarrassingly, our game after that was in the Copa del Rey against San Fernando CF, a 3rd tier side and managed to lose 1-0 despite me playing the strongest XI to boost morale. 

Things have gone fucked pretty quickly. I don't know what to do.

• Subscriber

How many you beat the dross in the first Copa Del Rey round by was the way I judged how well my Andorra sides were clicking. I had a season where we'd started calamitously but I'd turned it around in a couple of league games and then ended up beating somebody 12-0 in the cup. Losing to a third tier side as Valencia is horrific. I'm assuming it's linked to morale and a bad tactic. What do you play?

• 2 weeks later...

Hit a proper rough patch now for the first time with Grimsby. We were clear at the top of the league at the start of December having only lost one game. Start of January now and we're seven without a win (4 draws and 3 defeats). Few injuries and suspensions have shown the lack of quality outside our best 13/14. 

We've made one loan signing and possibly another on the way too which will hopefully help us get back on track

Hopeful that we're out of this poor run of form. The most recent performance away to Crewe was much more like it. Our top scorer Paupol Kitenge hadn't scored since that Accrington game in December until he scored v Crewe. 

dectomsr2425.thumb.jpg.33959a5f89d5d9b6ef9665b8ea2fc8e2.jpg

Nine games left and here's the table with our remaining fixtures

table1mar.jpg.39790aed76cd22937f4032a0c3fa6cfc.jpg

ramininggames.thumb.jpg.1e781ce45ba357c687f0098a1f23d094.jpg

@LFCMikeHow frustrating is it when your team goes on a poor run of form towards the end of the season! Happens to me on most of my saves. Most recently I was managing Elgin City in Scotland and was second for most of the season (Queens Park smashed the league) went on a terrible run of form and dropped out of the Play Offs, a draw on the last game of the season saw us finish 4th before getting smashed 8-1 on aggregate against Cove Rangers in the Relegation/Promotion Play Offs.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

@LFCMikeHow frustrating is it when your team goes on a poor run of form towards the end of the season! Happens to me on most of my saves. Most rercently I was managing Elgin City in Scotland and was second for most of the season (Queens Park smashed the league) went on a terrible run of form and dropped out of the Play Offs, a draw on the last game of the season saw us finish 4th before getting smashed 8-1 on aggregate against Cove Rangers in the Relegation/Promotion Play Offs.

Yeah it's so frustrating. I think the key is not to make dramatic changes and hope that with the odd tweak you can get back on track.

The way the table is at the moment though, my Grimsby team are well placed to challenge for automatic promotion if we can put a good run together. 

It's so tight though, we could win the league or finish 8thxD

Best of luck @LFCMike Hopefully you secure automatic promotion! 

I've taken a bit of a break from FM for now. I'm in the process of getting an old laptop of mine to play FM11. I've fancied playing the older FM games lately, and FM11 is my favourite. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Best of luck @LFCMike Hopefully you secure automatic promotion! 

I've taken a bit of a break from FM for now. I'm in the process of getting an old laptop of mine to play FM11. I've fancied playing the older FM games lately, and FM11 is my favourite. 

I'd not played FM on the PC for ages but the last game I played properly was FM08. Boss game that.

F,M21 is great though

Don't get time to play much with my daughter (which is fine) so opted for an "easy" save to scratch the FM itch without me having to sit at my computer for a day and a half tweaking every little dial. Started a career with BVB.

Just finished the first season in 4th, won the Super Cup and reached the final of the DFB-Pokal (losing 1-0 to Bayern). Pretty steady tbh, just lost too many games as the Starting XI is decent but the squad itself is pretty shite - managed to move about six or seven players on that I didn't like for around £100m which has given me a great balance to mould a full 16-17 man squad around, hoping to run Bayern a little close next season and potentially topple them in 3-4 seasons.

Haaland hit 30 goals, with Moukoko scoring 20 in just six months. The latter is an absolute joke, just scores for fun. Signed everyone's favourite wonderkid Thiago Almada who was alright and loaned in Curtis Jones who surprised me in a good way, ran the midfield at times and pleased to extend his loan for a further year.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived