talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Official League Farmers Join When They've Outplayed The Livestock Relegation Thread

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Even though they're in freefall, I think Southampton will be fine as realistically they only need about 3 or 4 more wins?

Even Palace are above them and it feels like they've not won a game in months :ph34r:

Fulham a bit resurgent in their form but I think they'll not have enough in the tank, so the current 3 will drop. 

In any case, it might come down to Newcastle vs Fulham on the final day. A proper relegation show-down...

image.png

Fulham's next lot of fixtures...

Tottenham (H)
Liverpool (A)
Man City (H)
Leeds (A)
Aston Villa (A)
Wolves (H)
Arsenal (A)

:eek:

We still have to play all of the bottom 8 again barring Fulham, so we may have a big say in who stays up...

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Even though they're in freefall, I think Southampton will be fine as realistically they only need about 3 or 4 more wins?

Even Palace are above them and it feels like they've not won a game in months :ph34r:

Fulham a bit resurgent in their form but I think they'll not have enough in the tank, so the current 3 will drop. 

In any case, it might come down to Newcastle vs Fulham on the final day. A proper relegation show-down...

image.png

Fulham's next lot of fixtures...

Tottenham (H)
Liverpool (A)
Man City (H)
Leeds (A)
Aston Villa (A)
Wolves (H)
Arsenal (A)

:eek:

We still have to play all of the bottom 8 again barring Fulham, so we may have a big say in who stays up...

Fulham are the only team in the bottom three who have the capabilities to go and get a win against a decent side IMO, like they did at Everton couple weeks ago.

I could see them beating us (We always lose in London), Wolves and possibly a shock somewhere against Villa or Arsenal, along with a draw here or there.

• Administrator

The last 3 each for the bottom six:

Burnley
Leeds (H)
Liverpool (H)
Sheff Utd (A)

Brighton
West Ham (H)
Man City (H)
Arsenal (A)

Newcastle
Man City (H)
Sheff Utd (H)
Fulham (A)

Fulham
Southampton (A)
Man Utd (A)
Newcastle (H)

West Brom
Liverpool (H)
West Ham (H)
Leeds (A)

Sheff Utd
Everton (A)
Newcastle (A)
Burnley (H)

Out of those, I think Brighton and West Brom have the toughest run-ins. 

But then again, there can be some proper weird results when it comes to the end of the season. Although maybe they won't be so weird in a season like this one :what:

49 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Fulham are the only team in the bottom three who have the capabilities to go and get a win against a decent side IMO, like they did at Everton couple weeks ago.

We beat Everton home and away to be fair.

However the general point I agree with and it's why I've being saying for a couple of weeks now that we need at least 8 points from Wolves, West Brom, Villa and Brighton. We've got 1 from Wolves so far. So 7 needed from the next 3. Otherwise we end up needing to get points off top teams.

Anything less than 8 and I think we are highly likely to be going into the last 2 games of the season shitting ourselves. I recall last time we went down we went to rock bottom Villa 2nd last game, couldn't win. I'm afraid of history repeating itself. 

I really do think that Fulham are going to catch one of the two above. Newcastle have been sleepwalking towards relegation. Brighton, the xg champions, can’t it away chances to save their life. 

I'd love Brighton to go down. The "woe is me, we play good football but just don't score goals" schtick is really getting old

On 01/03/2021 at 08:51, Stan said:

Game in hand as well. The thing for me is always how many teams are between them and the drop. Fulham, Burnley, Brighton, and Newcastle is a lot of shite to suddenly all make up a 4-7 point gap. I think they'll be fine

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I'd love Brighton to go down. The "woe is me, we play good football but just don't score goals" schtick is really getting old

Game in hand as well. The thing for me is always how many teams are between them and the drop. Fulham, Burnley, Brighton, and Newcastle is a lot of shite to suddenly all make up a 4-7 point gap. I think they'll be fine

Precisely this, too.

They'll stay up by default too because of the dross below them already.

53 minutes ago, Dan said:

Please can we send someone down this year. I'm fed up of being denied of this satisfaction.

You're a cruel man. One day, maybe next year, maybe in 10 years, perhaps in 20, that'll be you fighting for your premier league life. I hope on that day when you are humbled before a piece of shit club, they have the honor and mercy to pull you from the brink and relegate Dusseldorf instead. That God sends you a hero to spare you your pitiful existence another year.  

17 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

:4_joy:

I love podcasts, but I think the thing I love most about podcasts is that anybody worth their salt in the industry has one and I no longer have to listen to drivel from people like Jim White, Adrian Durham and Alan Brazil who frequently come across as idiots.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I love podcasts, but I think the thing I love most about podcasts is that anybody worth their salt in the industry has one and I no longer have to listen to drivel from people like Jim White, Adrian Durham and Alan Brazil who frequently come across as idiots.

And shit like this from the league table pundits. This tweet is two games into an 11 game run without a win. The warning signs had been there for nearly a month.

I believe it was Trevor Sinclair who said Newcastle fans have been educating pundits about football all season.

Funnily enough, we've been doing better lately and are now described as being in "free fall". Injuries might lead to that but we are not in free fall yet. We are playing football as good as Brighton and Fulham, just maybe not at the back.

22 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

And shit like this from the league table pundits. This tweet is two games into an 11 game run without a win. The warning signs had been there for nearly a month.

I believe it was Trevor Sinclair who said Newcastle fans have been educating pundits about football all season.

Funnily enough, we've been doing better lately and are now described as being in "free fall". Injuries might lead to that but we are not in free fall yet. We are playing football as good as Brighton and Fulham, just maybe not at the back.

Sounds a bit like the Neil Lennon situation - all his old mates like Sutton and Hartson back to him to the hilt, up until the point where the situation is totally unsalvageable. 

All the while the fans, who had clearly seen everything that was coming, are dimissed as being too hasty - and then they're dismissed after the fact for being self-righteous about having been proven right. 

• Subscriber

I've seen it happen with us before so I've always been a bit sympathetic in that sense. You get made out to be the problem for pointing out flaws that you will see before pundits. The level of punditry in general in this country is appalling. Is it this bad in other big leagues? You get the odd decent one but the majority just act as mouthpieces for their mates or clubs they're on good terms with. Nowhere near enough critical analysis.

Punditry is, largely, in the “dark ages”. Where football has evolved and bought into the use of data, punditry is very much your “stats don’t tell you how good a player is” or whatever the quote is used in the Moneyball film or from a Harry Redknapp type. 

Punditry and ex-players, on the whole, are that old guard that still believe what they want to or what they think their eyes are telling them. Whereas, through the advent of social media in particular, there are plenty of people nowadays who aren’t “football people”, who haven’t bounced around clubs trying to forge a career, who use data to form far better and far truer opinions than these alleged “experts”. 

I couldn’t think of many things I’d like to do less than watch the pre or post game stuff on TV or listen to Talksport driving to or from work, because the level of quality is lower than a snakes belly. 

On 04/03/2021 at 16:10, Smiley Culture said:

Punditry is, largely, in the “dark ages”. Where football has evolved and bought into the use of data, punditry is very much your “stats don’t tell you how good a player is” or whatever the quote is used in the Moneyball film or from a Harry Redknapp type. 

Punditry and ex-players, on the whole, are that old guard that still believe what they want to or what they think their eyes are telling them. Whereas, through the advent of social media in particular, there are plenty of people nowadays who aren’t “football people”, who haven’t bounced around clubs trying to forge a career, who use data to form far better and far truer opinions than these alleged “experts”. 

I couldn’t think of many things I’d like to do less than watch the pre or post game stuff on TV or listen to Talksport driving to or from work, because the level of quality is lower than a snakes belly. 

It also seems insane that fans very easily grasp onto the fact that performances are a bigger indication of the way things are headed than results are alone, but pundits cannot.

Very few things in football are predictable, but when you watch a team regularly, and have watched it regularly for years, you can get a very strong sense for when things are going wrong and when things are getting better. You know when you’ve got away with a bad game. You know when the team is looking disjointed. You know when players are looking off.

Most pundits on the other hand have seemingly no ability to place a result or performance into that kind of context, or to talk about how a team is developing. Their mindset is purely reactive.

And it doesn’t even require tactical knowledge or stats or anything - just a bit of memory and some critical engagement with what you see. Almost all football fans do it instinctively, but people who get paid for their opinions somehow forget how to do it. 

That’s how you end up with pundits not realising what’s coming until it’s smacked them in the head, when fans have been shouting about it for months. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

image.png

Southampton and Burnley probably have enough/will get 1 more win which will see them safe. Brighton possibly another 4 points?

Next games:
Chelsea vs West Brom
Leeds vs Sheff Utd
Southampton vs Burnley
Newcastle vs Tottenham
Aston Villa vs Fulham
Man Utd vs Brighton

Archived