talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Take Your Pick

football forum

• Subscriber

No brainer for me, Option B, I only found out around 5 years ago after I retired that I had asthma, COPD and a heart failure condition so I am getting through that ok and watch my health a lot better at my age now.

Have to say too I believe the saying that money is the root of all evil, and being a billionaire would give me the shivers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Cazza said:

Twenty years wont even make me 40.... I'll take the second option as I want see my daughter grow.

Hang fire I thought you was 29?

That's the only question I'd have in my mind, can I say goodbye. 

Reality is we're all on borrowed time anyway Caz, I could die tomorrow in a car crash. Knowing I had an end date would mean I could so much into that time and I'd be leaving both my children in a financial postion they'd never have the worry or stress of money or needing something ever again. 

2 hours ago, Cazza said:

No in around six days.... I am fully aware of dying within a second (been there, done that.... Almost), but I would consider it unfair for me and someone like @CaaC (John) who could probably dine out for twenty years and raise a finger to the world.

Just saying, the question is a bit different by my perspective @Toinho you're my age what do you think?

I’m a few years older...I’d go with B

Partying is going to wear off quicker than looks, but you'll keep going and then one day you'll get the memory box out and see you looked like a paedophile on a mega yacht and then you'll slip out of this world in cringey shame.

• Subscriber

Option A. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that a lot of things in today's world are shut down because funding really ruins it for the people trying to do good things. So, give them the money, do some good, use the rest for whatever I'd want to - funds for the family, funds to run projects, get business folks on the right path, etc. etc. You want a better world for future generations and this is a chance to do just that. 

Next choice...

A. You are walking through a busy town centre and here a scream from a near by street, you run round the corner to find a group of three men all brandishing weapons attacking a women. You decide there is nothing you can do on your own so you run for help to a near by hotel who call the police to report the incident. The next day you hear that unfortunately the women has died from her injuries and the three haven't been caught for their actions. You have live with this on you conscience for the rest of your life but you know if you got involved it could have ended a similar way for you. 

B. You are walking through a busy town centre and here a scream from a near by street, you run round the corner to find a group of three men all brandishing weapons attacking a women. Knowing full well that this situation is life or death for the women you decide to get involved in the hope you can help her, unfortunately both of you are seriously injured and you have to spend a lengthy period in hospital and the injuries are life changing, with you having to spend the rest of your days in a wheel chair. You are lorded a hero in your city and are awarded an award for your bravery at the pride of Britain awards. The women goes on to have a long and happy life eternally thankful for your actions. 

• Subscriber

Option A I am afraid unless I am a black belt in Karate or was someone like Bruce Lee or Steven Seagal then it would be Option B.

The police always say the best way in a situation like that is to get help and try not to get involved and let the police or proper authorities deal with it, me, at my age and my health issues I would not stand a hope in hell in helping.

Many a time when doing patrols in Belfast on tours of duty in NI we have had members of the public come up to our patrol asking for help in a situation as they knew we were in a better position to help and trained than them.

21 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Option A I am afraid unless I am a black belt in Karate or was someone like Bruce Lee or Steven Seagal then it would be Option B.

The police always say the best way in a situation like that is to get help and try not to get involved and let the police or proper authorities deal with it, me, at my age and my health issues I would not stand a hope in hell in helping.

Many a time when doing patrols in Belfast on tours of duty in NI we have had members of the public come up to our patrol asking for help in a situation as they knew we were in a better position to help and trained than them.

But in this situation you know the outcome, you know what you did made a difference but you also know the outcome does lead to this incident having long term damage on your life quality. 

On the other hand you also know that by doing nothing this stranger will die. 

At the end of the day the question is about whether you value the quality of your life over the actual life a complete stranger. Easy to answer if you weren't in that situation but given you have the chance to make the difference do you think you would?

I respect your views to be fair. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Devil said:

At the end of the day the question is about whether you value the quality of your life over the actual life a complete stranger. Easy to answer if you weren't in that situation but given you have the chance to make the difference do you think you would?

I respect your views to be fair. 

Still the same views I am afraid, 3 against 1 armed, I would rather be a live hero than a dead hero, then again this is my way of thinking as a 71 year old, maybe if I was young and fit maybe I would have picked option B.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Devil said:

On the other hand you also know that by doing nothing this stranger will die. 

But in that scenario (A), you also know there's nothing you can do on your own? 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

But in that scenario (A), you also know there's nothing you can do on your own? 

No you decide there is nothing you can do on your own. 

You made the decision you couldn't influence the situation in the first scenario, the second scenario you feel you can at least potentially break it up or influence the events. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Devil said:

No you decide there is nothing you can do on your own. 

You made the decision you couldn't influence the situation in the first scenario, the second scenario you feel you can at least potentially break it up or influence the events. 

Fair enough. Missed the operative word there!

Genuinely torn on this one. 

• The title was changed to Take Your Pick
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Fair enough. Missed the operative word there!

Genuinely torn on this one. 

Yeah, really hard this one. 

I think this is what makes everyone different and it's wrong to judge people either way. Like I've said a few times on here my childhood dream was to make a difference with army so for it's a no brainer I'd be willing to risk my life to help another. Okay, fair enough it's likely you are going to get yourself seriously injured but look it another way, what if the knowledge they'd been seen makes one or maybe two of them panic and run, there are all sorts of scenarios that could actually play out. 

I just couldn't live in the knowledge I didn't try and help someone, in the same way I'd risk my life running into a burning house to save someone I'd be willing to take my chances rather than live with the guilt of not trying. 

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Devil said:

At the end of the day the question is about whether you value the quality of your life over the actual life a complete stranger.

Honestly? Yes. So, option A. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Devil said:

I just couldn't live in the knowledge I didn't try and help someone, in the same way I'd risk my life running into a burning house to save someone I'd be willing to take my chances rather than live with the guilt of not trying. 

Yep, I understand that.

With the scenarios, there's the physical act of helping but also the act of helping by calling the police who could perhaps do a better job of trying to save the person/catch the culprits. The caveat in the scenario, though, being that even doing that doesn't prevent the woman dying.  

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yep, I understand that.

With the scenarios, there's the physical act of helping but also the act of helping by calling the police who could perhaps do a better job of trying to save the person/catch the culprits. The caveat in the scenario, though, being that even doing that doesn't prevent the woman dying.  

@nudge

Answered fairly easily and you've got to respect that your life is of value as well. No right or wrong answer really, the police or anyone else wouldn't blame you for going for help, they'd more than likely encourage that you do that. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Devil said:

@nudge

Answered fairly easily and you've got to respect that your life is of value as well. No right or wrong answer really, the police or anyone else wouldn't blame you for going for help, they'd more than likely encourage that you do that. 

I don't think they would :what:?

I always thought they were of the impression to not put yourself in harm's way. But if you do, and you end up saving a life/lives, then they'll thank you and commend you for it, but I don't think they actively recommend people to put themselves in to danger...

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Devil said:

@nudge

For me it's fairly easy because essentially, I would be willing to sacrifice my life or the quality of my life only for the people I love and care for. When it comes to strangers, then it's simply risk calculation - can I help with a high chance of not putting my own life in danger? If yes, then I certainly will help. If not, I will look for ways to find help instead. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't think they would :what:?

I always thought they were of the impression to not put yourself in harm's way. But if you do, and you end up saving a life/lives, then they'll thank you and commend you for it, but I don't think they actively recommend people to put themselves in to danger...

Sorry, by going for help you are leaving the girl to ring the police.......

They'd encourage you to do that not get involved. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Devil said:

Sorry, by going for help you are leaving the girl to ring the police.......

They'd encourage you to do that not get involved. 

Sorry, misunderstood. Of course they'd encourage you to call the police! I thought you meant encourage you to get involved by trying to break up the attack yourself. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

For me it's fairly easy because essentially, I would be willing to sacrifice my life or the quality of my life only for the people I love and care for. When it comes to strangers, then it's simply risk calculation - can I help with a high chance of not putting my own life in danger? If yes, then I certainly will help. If not, I will look for ways to find help instead. 

Great answer, so if she was say struggling to keep afloat in a river you would jump in and look to help her ashore but if the risk far is potentially life threatening to yourself you wouldn't be willing to risk your life. 

I get that totally, I know I said I'd get involved but if I knew it was certain death then you have no option I'm afraid. 

Archived