talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Injuries in the Premier League

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

Would Chelsea really sell him? Highest scorer this and last season, plus even if you upgrade in the summer, Giroud isn't getting any younger

Confirmed by our correspondents he wants out. Doesn't want the squad role he's given. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

That would explain why there has been more injuries all round this season and might go some way to explain why there has been increased analysis into the numbers, but we all know the reason it's headline news.

What I'm about to say is by no means aimed at ALL Liverpool fans or ALL Leicester fans or anything like that but surely at some point when you're arguing over which metric of injury measurement is the most or least misleading in a desperate attempt to convince everyone who'll listen that your team is the unluckiest team in the league in order to achieve god knows what, you must take a look at yourself and think "why the fuck am I spending all this time arguing about something so ridiculous?"

I mean I'm a fucking massive maths nerd (see my differential tracker thread) and even I'm looking at the people who have been arsed to put these utterly pointless statistics together and I'm thinking "oh, please". Nobody in their right mind denies the horrific extent to which Liverpool have been hammered by injuries, and in the same key areas of the pitch too, but if you're going to spend so much time harping on about it and using stats that have never been deemed worth calculating in any other season to "prove" how unlucky your team have been the second anyone deigns to point out that someone else has had it pretty bad as well, then you should expect to have people taking the piss out of you.

Tbf though most of us LIverpool fans have had to deal with people saying "hurr durr injuries are normal" while we moan about losing literally any player that comes anywhere near to filling the void at CB it seems about. So we've probably become more abraisive than normal while dealing with the rest of youse because you all hate us.

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Confirmed by our correspondents he wants out. Doesn't want the squad role he's given. 

Fair enough. It'd be a shame to let him go, but I get it. He's a good striker, but ultimately I don't he's think top level or ever will be. If he's not willing to sit behind whoever you sign in the summer you're hamstringing yourself to keep him as the starter imo

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Dan said:

I wouldn't be upset with Abraham and I'd give him plenty of time but I dunno - Chelsea would've snapped your hand off for Vardy in the last few years yet would be happy enough to sell him to us, tells me that he's a way off being good enough.

What we really need, as we're not going to get another Vardy, is to get in a right winger with actual goal contribution. With Barnes on the left we've finally cracked somebody who I think can regularly get 15 a season in all comps, and in Maddison now I think he won't be far behind as he seems to have really upped his game lately.

But the right wing, we're so accustomed to non-productivity it's unreal. Perez has scored 9 goals in a year and a half and nearly all of them have come in thumping wins - there's a stat that if you take every goal of his away we'd have 2 less points, and I don't think he makes up for that with his all-round game either. Albrighton's never been a goalscorer, and Cengiz Under has barely had a run but the fact he can't get one despite what I've just said about those two tells me he isn't really rated.

If we could get Abraham, and Thauvin could come here and replicate his Marseille form, then I'd say we've done well and remain a dangerous team.

I think the most likely signing is Odsonne Edouard. I also think Danny Ings is an outside bet - I initially thought it would be a mega money move for him but he's out of contract in a year and wants a move to a club in Europe. Well we might just be that club. Worked with Rodgers before too.

Mourinho really wants Ings. If he’s still here in the summer I think we will try to get him too

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'm worried that it finally might be. It wasn't just the weekend. One goal since christmas and just generally looks a bit leggy. I think it's gone well under the radar because of how well Barnes & Maddison have done.

That incident where Pablo Mari beat him in a foot race. That just wouldn't happen before. He's either carrying a knock or he's finally dwindling - but following having an operation quite recently we might've seen the best of him now.

I'm not totally convinced by Abraham if I'm honest. I think he'd be steady but I'm not convinced he'll ever be a top striker. I don't know what you think. There's a sad realisation that whatever we get is probably going to be worse than Vardy though. Not only has he been top drawer but bar one day where his odds tumbled on a move to Arsenal we've never really been in any danger of losing him. If we did get somebody in at his level we'd be facing a fight to hold on.

Yeah he doesn’t look sharp at all but I’d be wary about writing him off yet. Clearly been injured/still recovering and just fighting through it. Wait and see I guess

You do have the problem, as we will when Kane eventually leaves, that we can’t get anyone better to replace them. It’s going to be a downgrade regardless 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf though most of us LIverpool fans have had to deal with people saying "hurr durr injuries are normal" while we moan about losing literally any player that comes anywhere near to filling the void at CB it seems about. So we've probably become more abraisive than normal while dealing with the rest of youse because you all hate us.

Well I do hate Liverpool and also I think that Tammy Abraham would be a cracking fit at Leicester to be fair.

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Storts said:

Mourinho really wants Ings. If he’s still here in the summer I think we will try to get him too

Could see that as well. I'd give you the edge but if we got in the Champions League and you didn't, maybe not, at his age anyway.

56 minutes ago, Storts said:

Yeah he doesn’t look sharp at all but I’d be wary about writing him off yet. Clearly been injured/still recovering and just fighting through it. Wait and see I guess

You do have the problem, as we will when Kane eventually leaves, that we can’t get anyone better to replace them. It’s going to be a downgrade regardless 

Yeah, not writing him off by any stretch but more a contingency in case this is where he drops off. I still think there'll be a role in the squad for a good 2/3 years even if he has dipped. This summer is surely the one we buy a striker though. I've no idea what they'll have up their sleeves. Edouard the obvious shout, maybe Daka, unsure really.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

How is this a WUM thread?

Oh behave Stan, you honestly don't admit that you started this thread with the sole purpose of getting a bite? 

Do you honestly think that anyone believes that you started this because you are just a "nerd" who was "interested" in the injuries this season ffs? Can we at least make an attempt to be honest here?

2 hours ago, Stan said:

But it goes back to the original point. All that was pointed out was that Burnley had had more individual injuries than anyone else in the league. You just chose to interpret that in line with your agenda.

No Stan, your interpretation was that Burnley was "affected more", which is clearly  not true.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Please bear in mind this isn't my video, they're not my stats, and it's not my data that has been researched.

True, it's not your video, you also wouldn't have posted this particular video unless you thought it supported your daft notion that Liverpool hasn't been hurt by injuries much more than everyone else.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

I literally only relayed what was being said in the short video (which I doubt you've watched?). They literally state Burnley had have more injuries than anyone else in the league.  You just weirdly choose to infer that I have some agenda from pointing that out, stating it's a 'misleading fact'. I'm not disputing what the effects of the injuries are and how they affect each respective team.

Sadly yes, I did watch it, another 11 minutes of my life I won't get back.

Seriously Stan, you seem bright enough, did you honestly think this topic was worth restarting for other than the obvious reason of getting a bite? Burnley have had shit injuries, so have your lot, I've never denied that , even though you didn't bother to read that without clumsily hitting the reply button.

It's been a shit season for injuries ours proven to be the worst of a sorry lot, it does you do no credit continually trying to deny that Stan.

• Administrator

I can't believe the guys obsession of thinking everyone is out for a bite, a troll or a wum. Beyond belief now. 

Trying to start a conversation about a topic that is quite prevalent and he's made it all about himself xD

Not everyone or everything is anti-Liverpool on here so you really need to stop feeling so victimised. Sick of trying to explain that to people so far up their own arse when it comes to anything on here. 

Can't be arsed any more anyway. Insufferable. Maybe take a leaf out of how the other newbies have handled themselves on here since they joined the forum. A good example to follow for you @Scouse_Mouse

And yes. This is a staff member saying it before you point out the obvious. 

• Subscriber

Have they factored in injuries that have actually helped teams? Like how Delph has been injured for us for 500 days it's actually been a huge bonus so they should knock 500 points off our score. So when you think about it Thiago being injured all of those days for Liverpool should actually count as minus injury points and probably moves them down to about 6th place.

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

I can't believe the guys obsession of thinking everyone is out for a bite, a troll or a wum. Beyond belief now. 

Whatever Stan, you made a fool of yourself yesterday posting about me not considering other clubs injuries before I had to point out that I had, several times in that thread.

Today you kick off with a WUM  on the same subject, if that was me it would have been closed by you or one of your cronies.

Seriously, do you truly believe everyone on here didn't see through your little "nerdy" charade?

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

I Maybe take a leaf out of how the other newbies have handled themselves on here since they joined the forum. A good example to follow for you @Scouse_Mouse

Ahh we finally get to the crux of the problem.

Go along with all of Stan's bollocks just like every newbie should.

Sorry but it ain't going to happen chum, I treat everyone with respect that has earned respect.

• Administrator

You have a great way on twisting things to suit whatever it is in your mind. 

Anyway, have a good day and hopefully other people can have a discussion about this normally :):congrats:

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2021 at 22:49, Burning Gold said:

Fair enough. It'd be a shame to let him go, but I get it. He's a good striker, but ultimately I don't he's think top level or ever will be. If he's not willing to sit behind whoever you sign in the summer you're hamstringing yourself to keep him as the starter imo

He's not yet blossomed into the top class forward I thought he might become. But you never know, time is still on his side at 23 and after all, Vardy was still only playing in the Conference at the age 25! xD 

So there is still hope for Abraham to raise his game and develop even further, only time will tell.

As a great man once said, " the only statistics you can trust are the ones you have falsified yourself". 

As with most stats, you have to pay attention to the details. I'll just give one obvious example here. If a clubs standout star player is out injured, that's much more likely to negatively affect them, than if 3 or 4 fringe players(who sometimes make the team) were out injured. 

• Subscriber

Seems United "are uncertain whether to extend Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani's contract, with staff at the club frustrated over the 34-year-old's fitness situation..." I like this guy and if he had proper service upfront when playing he would score a lot more goals, fuck Martiel off and try and keep Cavani.

Manchester Evening News

• 3 weeks later...

Archived