talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The "Next" Golden Generation

football forum

This isn't another one of my scouting threads, this is just a general discussion thread. Who do you reckon is producing the best players?

From what I've gathered I think England and Portugal have done best. They look to have a very bright future ahead.

Italy is producing fuck all. If they weren't already in the shadows, they are just getting worse I find. Tonali is good but I haven't seen much aside from him to suggest they'll become a World Cup winning side again.

I'm impressed with the Netherlands lately and some of their best players are still in prime age, so I reckon they'll become a World Cup contender for 2022.

Not all sold on Germany's young talent. They are good, but nothing on the past generation, which in fairness wasn't going to be matched immediately, regardless of them being Germany.

Brazil is producing talent, but a good chunk of them are flopping in Europe. They'll have the generation to challenge like they always do, but some of the players aren't properly prepared for European football and that's a problem. Jorge of Monaco the key example.

Argentina are producing more than people think in my opinion. And when I saw them this past qualifying cycle, they were the best I've seen of them since Sabella. So maybe they'll surprise some people.

Lastly, for outside nations, people are sleeping on Ecuador and the United States. The former won't win a world cup, or maybe even make it out of the groups, but their players will end up at big clubs. The likes of Gonzalo Plata and Moises Caicedo are awesome players. The latter I'm not all convinced are great and am thinking marketing is helping out their moves to big European clubs, but that's still a big help to give them the highest possible standard to improve.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

England has a bright future ahead if they had a more progressive/less conservative manager to get the best out of all the attacking talent...

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

France. They could have their C team compete in the World Cup. 

Yeah, I feel stupid for forgetting them but they are up there with England and Portugal I think.

Upamecano, Saliba, Thuram, Coman, Camavinga and obviously Mbappe. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

England has a bright future ahead if they had a more progressive/less conservative manager to get the best out of all the attacking talent...

Honestly though I think Southgate is about as good as you can go, unless you plan on hiring foreigners. I fully advocate foreign managers as it makes international football much more competitive. Brazil for example won't win a World Cup again until they stray away from the Brazilian philosophy.

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

Yeah, I feel stupid for forgetting them but they are up there with England and Portugal I think.

Upamecano, Saliba, Thuram, Coman, Camavinga and obviously Mbappe. 

They are on a league of their own entirely. This is probably considered their "C Team" and you'd wager this team to go far in an international tournament. It's ridiculous. 

Maignan

Mukiele--Upamecano--Konate--T.Hernandez

Camavinga--Ndombele

Aouar

Ikone---------------------------------Thuram

Ben Yedder

Just now, Cicero said:

They are on a league of their own entirely. This is probably considered their "C Team" and you'd wager this team to go far in an international tournament. It's ridiculous. 

Maignan

Mukiele--Upamecano--Konate--T.Hernandez

Camavinga--Ndombele

Aouar

Ikone---------------------------------Thuram

Ben Yedder

Madness. Even with the wrong manager they'd still probably win the World Cup, like in 2018.

• Administrator

I am really excited about Camavinga. I just hope he takes the right steps in his career. You know when you can just tell a player is going to be quality and he's one of them. 

I'd love to see Fofana in the French team but understand he will be behind a lot of CBs probably until he moves to a bigger club (if he gets that opportunity). 

Another one many are potentially sleeping on - Norway.

They were absolute crap the majority of last decade, but this coming decade looks to be a completely different story.

Haaland, Odegaard, Hauge, Berge and Berg as a few examples. They can reach Belgium levels of quality.

Italy is far better than you give them credit, Tonali is actually underwhelming. Barella, Sensi, Chiesa, Zaniolo, Pellegrini, Locatelli, Pellegri, Keane, Mancini, Bastoni, are just some u-25s that have upside, maybe not all time greats but players that can perform. On the late 20s they still have Bernadeschi, Immobile, Belotti, Gagliardini, Verratti, Lazzarri, that can still perform at a decent level for a few more years.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Italy is far better than you give them credit, Tonali is actually underwhelming. Barella, Sensi, Chiesa, Zaniolo, Pellegrini, Locatelli, Pellegri, Keane, Mancini, Bastoni, are just some u-25s that have upside, maybe not all time greats but players that can perform. On the late 20s they still have Bernadeschi, Immobile, Belotti, Gagliardini, Verratti, Lazzarri, that can still perform at a decent level for a few more years.

That's fair, I haven't seen enough. Maybe it's just another case of not receiving deserved hype, which occasionally happens with Italy. However, your last point is a bit important given that Italy should be producing world class talent. If they produce enough to become as good as they are now, that may be servicable.

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

That's fair, I haven't seen enough. Maybe it's just another case of not receiving deserved hype, which occasionally happens with Italy. However, your last point is a bit important given that Italy should be producing world class talent. If they produce enough to become as good as they are now, that may be servicable.

what is this world class talent anyway? why is totti world class and a player like immobile not? immobile has scored near 150 goals for lazio and already more than totti for italy

10 hours ago, Spike said:

what is this world class talent anyway? why is totti world class and a player like immobile not? immobile has scored near 150 goals for lazio and already more than totti for italy

Sometimes it's just a matter of superstardom. Immobile failed at his biggest club, and sits in a relatively passive club in what is now a relatively passive league. Banging in goals at a club no one watches in a league no one watches anymore. 
Totti was a world cup winner, and a star for a big ( but not the biggest) team when Serie A was likely the best or 2nd best league in the world. 

Also Totti kicked a lot of people, most of them Italian, which makes him a hero, in the same kind of way that Hitler was a hero for killing Hitler. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Sometimes it's just a matter of superstardom. Immobile failed at his biggest club, and sits in a relatively passive club in what is now a relatively passive league. Banging in goals at a club no one watches in a league no one watches anymore. 
Totti was a world cup winner, and a star for a big ( but not the biggest) team when Serie A was likely the best or 2nd best league in the world. 

Also Totti kicked a lot of people, most of them Italian, which makes him a hero, in the same kind of way that Hitler was a hero for killing Hitler. 

Totti has met me, too. Immobile hasn't. 

Says it all. 

For me, England are looking good. Unpopular amongst the mouth breathing pint throwing, social media LAD’s who hound Southgate now, but that’s fine with me. Sadly, I think Southgate is under pressure and he will, most likely, be under more scrutiny after the Euros due to the draw we face.

If England finish top of Group D -

They face the runner up of Group F, which is made up of France, Germany, Hungary and Portugal. Not exactly the easiest draw. You’d probably expect it to be Portugal or Germany right now and both aren’t particularly easy games.

If they got through that, they’d play the winners of Group E, which is Spain, Sweden, Slovakia or Poland, or one of the third placed teams in the QF.

If England finish as runners up in Group D -

We’d then face the runner up of Group E, Spain, Sweden, Poland or Slovakia, in the round of 16. On paper, you’d fancy Spain to win that group surely, so any of Sweden, Poland or Slovakia shouldn’t prove to be too much for England.

In the QF though, we’d then meet the winner of Group F, France, Germany, Portugal or Hungary, or one of the third placed teams from Groups A/B/C.

It’s a bit of a throwback to the 2018 World Cup and is very similar to what route to take out of that group we had then. Obviously, I’m guessing and predicting the groups outcomes and we’d need to see how they play out but England look to have tough games out of the group and Southgate will, likely, come under pressure if we go out. 

That said, I think we’ll do alright. The group we have isn’t the Belgium, Tunisia, Panama we had in 2018 and Croatia, Czech Republic and Scotland will be tougher but I think we get out of the group in the top two. 

17 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

fair enough but immobile does precisely what he is supposed to and excels. lazio are a good team, they bounced Dortmund out of the cl  (I even @'d you about that )and were unbeaten (?) until bayern came along/ i think you give serie a the treatment people give to the bundesliga, i reallly dont think it;s as bad as you think it is

also he was not the worst at sevilla, i reckon he could have made it there, it was a short loan, so to say he failed at his biggest club is a stretch

I agree with both of you.

Serie A isn't anywhere near as bad as people say it is. It's still one of the best league's in the world, but at the same time, Totti was a more complete footballer and achieved a lot more with a team that often underachieves.

52 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Serie A isn't anywhere near as bad as people say it is. It's still one of the best league's in the world, but at the same time, Totti was a more complete footballer and achieved a lot more with a team that often underachieves.

Italian football is incredibly tactical and not easy on the eye to the mainstream fans so gets bashed. It's a really good league to be honest, and some insane players have played there. Agree with you about Totti too, Roma is a massive club but has really underachieved over the past 20 years or so, it's a shame that Totti couldn't win more as his talent certainly deserved it.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

fair enough but immobile does precisely what he is supposed to and excels. lazio are a good team, they bounced Dortmund out of the cl  (I even @'d you about that )and were unbeaten (?) until bayern came along/ i think you give serie a the treatment people give to the bundesliga, i reallly dont think it;s as bad as you think it is

also he was not the worst at sevilla, i reckon he could have made it there, it was a short loan, so to say he failed at his biggest club is a stretch

Dortmund were his biggest club. CL finalists last decade, twice Bundesliga winners, 80 000 capacity stadium ect ect. 

And good on them. They're getting dumped out this season while Dortmund will likely march on. 2 games is not representative of who is better and we know it. 

7 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Italian football is incredibly tactical and not easy on the eye to the mainstream fans so gets bashed. It's a really good league to be honest, and some insane players have played there. Agree with you about Totti too, Roma is a massive club but has really underachieved over the past 20 years or so, it's a shame that Totti couldn't win more as his talent certainly deserved it.

I bash Italian football for vert different reasons. It used to house 2/3 of the worlds best teams. Now I would argue it doesn't have a single one. Juve can own old man Ronaldo all they want, they're not up there with Madrid, Bayern, Man City and Liverpool, and they show us that season after season. 

They play football in decrepit half empty stadiums, corruption is rife. PSG bought the best of the league back in 2012 or so and AC have still not recovered. 

7 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I bash Italian football for vert different reasons. It used to house 2/3 of the worlds best teams. Now I would argue it doesn't have a single one. Juve can own old man Ronaldo all they want, they're not up there with Madrid, Bayern, Man City and Liverpool, and they show us that season after season. 

They play football in decrepit half empty stadiums, corruption is rife. PSG bought the best of the league back in 2012 or so and AC have still not recovered. 

You've bashed Italian football even when Juve were getting to Champions League finals bud. That smells agenda to me.

Archived