talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Clutch Players

football forum

Players that throughout their careers have always been able to grab that winning or equalizing goal when it mattered the most.

I'll start with the king of clutch; Didier Drogba.

• Scored four goals including three winners in four FA Cup finals.
  • Scored three goals including a winner in two League Cup finals.
  • Equaliser and winning penalty in the Champions League.
  • A winning brace in the Community Shield (not that important but it was against Arsenal)
  • Winning goal in the Turkish Super Cup.

That is just his finals, the man was also consistent in all knock-out stages.

Here is an example of Lampard's and Drogba's psychic connection. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Berserker said:

The Same Pierre Gignac that did nothing in the Copa Libertadores final?

Yeah, I don't highly rate him but there's no doubt at least in the league he steps up when needed.

Another clutch player, Rodrigo Mora. He's not great but he always scores a screamer when most needed.

1 minute ago, Berserker said:

The Same Pierre Gignac that did nothing in the Copa Libertadores final?

The same Gignac that has scored exactly zero goals in cup finals.

Sergio Ramos has scored goals in two Champions League finals (hijo de puta :40_rage:), two Supercopa Espana ties, UEFA Super Cup, and a FIFA Club World Cup Final. Impressive for a CB.

5 hours ago, Cicero said:

Iniesta 

He has been the man of the match in a World Cup final, European Championship final, Champions League final and a Clasico at the Bernabeu.

He has scored the decisive goal in a World Cup final and Champions League semi-final, and produced assists in all 3 Champions League finals that he has started in 2009, 2011 and 2015.

The definition of clutch there. 

Eto'o was definitely a big game player. He scored goals in the Copa Del Rey final for Mallorca, 2 Champions League finals and multiple Clasicos for Barcelona, a Coppa Italia final and Mourinho's return to Stamford Bridge in the Champions League for Inter,  and African Cup of Nations and Olympic finals for Cameroon. 

• Administrator

Solskjaer springs to mind.

You don't get the label 'super-sub' for no reason!

Got loads of goals off the bench and from memory always did the job required when coming off the bench. The perfect player for the circumstance because I don't believe he ever moaned about it either. And obviously the treble-winning season in 1999, culminating in that goals against Bayern in the Champions League final. 

In history, Gerd 'Der Bomber' Muller has to be up as one of the greatest ever big game players. 

He scored goals in multiple European Cup finals and semi-finals with Bayern, and in a World Cup final,  World Cup 2nd group stage matches (in place of quarter-finals and semi-finals), European Championship final and European Championship semi-final with Germany. 

But then again it sounds like he was consistently lethal across his career regardless of the opposition and importance of the match.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Mickey mouse finals yeah, in real games his only tremendous abilities are his capacity to disappear and miss penalties.

Image result for fishing gif

5 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Clutch player right there.

Have fun retiring with no world cup you Maradona wannabe

You've been very selective there and I would expect TF365's bandwidth would be tested if someone were to post videos of how many vital games Messi has resolved for both Barcelona and Argentina over the years.

At the end of the day I have no idea or am not totally sure what a "Clutch Player" actually is because it seems like it's almost a criticism of sorts like a player that only turns up for big games while players like Iniesta and Messi have been great throughout their careers in all types of games.

If "Clutch Player" is as I suspect (what I've just said in my last sentence) then the epitome of one is definitely Sergio Ramos.

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Don't upset Cannabis mate. He literally bleeds Messi :ph34r:

he makes other stuff come out of Messi mate. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

:congrats:two finals vs RM two losses. Nice goal iran but did he guided Argentina to a wc victory like maradona? Fuck, la copa America at Argentina and he still failed to deliver. The two games vs Juventus proved he is a systematic player. No one is bigger than Maradona or pele, the barca boring tiki tika is than messi 

may I remind you what he did against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu a couple of months ago, just for starters?

Archived