talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Phil Foden vs Mason Mount

Just now, Devil said:

Football and boxing for me mainly but given my cousins all love rugby league I've watched a fair bit over the years and enjoy that as well. 

Think Sale Sharks are the best!! Come on bite sucker!!

Sale Sharks are rugby union mate, cant get into that game, too much kicking, it's more tactical 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Happy Blue said:

I'm trying to do 5 things at once :4_joy:

Mate I love the rugby union, don't have a team because it's of second interest but the grand final is always a must watch. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Better argument would be Foden vs Sancho or Foden vs Grealish/Maddison. Mount I don't consider an attacking player, more of a traditional box to box and probably the best one England have. 

Also, put Foden in our team, he would struggle. 

Not even Maddison.

Been tried shifted out left a few times and nowhere near as effective to the team as he is down the middle.

If anything it should be Foden vs Grealish and Maddison vs Mount.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not even Maddison.

Been tried shifted out left a few times and nowhere near as effective to the team as he is down the middle.

If anything it should be Foden vs Grealish and Maddison vs Mount.

Grealish

Foden

Maddison

Mount

In that order of quality for me, all brilliant in their roles and all would do a job for United. 

• Administrator

If Barnes recovers well from injury and carries his form in to next season, it would make reasonable to add him in to the equation too, too for that inverted-left-wing role.

Don't think he'd have made the Euros squad anyway, but for the World Cup next year he should be involved. 

Foden is the best young English talent IMO, I'd have him above a lot of players to be honest. The patience that he showed in the early part of his career is now being repaid, especially with a coach like Guardiola. 

Not a massive fan of City, but love watching Phil play.

Phil Foden 100% best for me but all the talent coming through right now for England is just brilliant, Foden, Mount, Maddison, Barnes, Grealish & Saka who can play many positions.

Hopefully these guys can be the new golden generation for England who actually achieve something for England.

I reckon Mount has a more rounded game in terms of attack and defence but Foden definitely has a finer skillset with it comes to attacking and technical abilities. You could play Foden on the right, Grealish on the left, and Mount through the middle for balance quite easily.

• Administrator

@Happy Blue has Foden played much on the right? I know the attacking midfielders are fairly interchangeable with the style you play but most of the time I recall seeing Foden centrally or on th left. 

A right forward/midfielder vs a center mid. Lame. Who would I take? Mount, but only because Bremen need a midfielder over a forward. 

As for who gets the nod in the England first 11, I think it depends on how England want to set up. 

In a 3 at the back system, with a loaded midfield I think Mount is an easy choice. But Foden has to battle Sancho for the spot. I also think in a system like this Grealish would get my nod over Sterling. 
But in a 4-5-1 I'd not play mount, Foden or Grealish unless he went through the middle. 

-----------------------------------T rex-------------------------------------

-----Walker------------------Stones----------------Cokehead--

TAA--------------Hendo------------Mount------------------Shaw
-------------Foden---------------------------Grealish-------------------
----------------------------------Kane-----------------------------------------

--------------------------------------T-rex-------------------------------------
Tripper------------Stones----------Cokehead--------------Shaw
---------------------Hendo--------------Rice--------------------------------
Sancho------------------------????------------------------------Sterling
------------------------------------Kane------------------------------------------

Shame Gomez is injured, because you're going to have Stones, Maguire and Dier as your CB options, and thats a fucking dire list. Stones is better with a good defender next to him. The other 2 are just 50 shades of shite. 
Maddison, Mount or Grealish could play through the middle, but perhaps none of them should. 
Perhaps there is another....

Jesse Lingard GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

3 hours ago, Stan said:

@Happy Blue has Foden played much on the right? I know the attacking midfielders are fairly interchangeable with the style you play but most of the time I recall seeing Foden centrally or on th left. 

He's only played on the left and central as far as i can remember :35_thinking: ..but he scored that wonder goal against Liverpool from the right, cut inside and smashed it with his left peg so i think he could play well on that side too

18 hours ago, Cicero said:

Wouldn't say easily. Grealish looks the most talented personally. 

He should be being 5 years older.

Foden for me. Unbelievable talent.

And he stays on his feet.

There always seems to be this English tendency to compare and juxtapose players and within doing that the full appreciation of the players in their own right gets lost or goes wayward. That is what football is about at the end of the day, debate, it's good to do and discuss who's better but with examples like this, a lot of people end up underappreciating players, as it always takes place in the context of comparing and pitting one against the other.

I'm not saying it's heavily apparent in this case either, just that these debates always have the potential of boiling over in a negative way. I mean Lampard and Gerrard, of course, were heavily appreciated and respected and got all the plaudits but at the same time, their individual ability was a lot of the time assessed within the framework of comparisons between one and the other which at times probably wasn't healthy or beneficial for everyone involved as it definitely deflected away from their qualities and worth in their own right. The debates become a bit too black or white or tribal. I'm not saying close this thread and that these debates shouldn't take place but it's a weird way these debates manifest themselves. You then get managers with the decisions and dilemmas of having to fit all these players in which adds another dimension to the discussions.

Another thing I see with these comparisons, is people saying with some, 'that you can't compare them because they're different players'. Whilst it's a valid point, you can still assess their influence, their quality in what they do and their consistency and things like that. What's the point of the Ballon d'Or then? Shouldn't that be void then on the basis that you can't compare players because they're different? I know there are individual awards for positions but for me, Mount and Foden are comparable as are most players.

Archived