talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Looking For A Scottish Club To Support

football forum

Hello all.

I'm a Canadian that's proud of his Scottish heritage.   My family moved to Canada in 1850 from Kingskettle, Fife, Scotland.   Visiting Scotland is on my bucket list and I hope do it more than once!   I would like to find one Scottish football club to support.   I'll give you some points to help determine who I should root for.   Please give me your opinions.

- My last name is Malcolm and I am a christian (maybe that makes a difference?   are some clubs supported more by catholic fans? in North America religion doesn't really make a difference as to who you cheer for)

- Our family came from Kingskettle, Fife. (geography should play somewhat into the choice)

- I do not necessarily have to cheer for one of the largest clubs like Celtic or Rangers.   I'm quite fine with a smaller, but decent club.   I'm not what we would call a "frontrunner".

- The club would have to play on real grass and preferably in a stadium which a rich history and atmosphere

- If it came down to two clubs that play in the same city, I'd prefer the club supported by the more blue collar type of fans.  *for example, I know Dundee has United and FC, but I don't really know the differences between them.

- Again where I said a club with blue collar fans is cool.    I'm from a rural area, so I don't have to cheer for a yuppy team.

- The team doesn't have to be currently in the Premiership, they can be playing in the Championship league.  

- On my profile I had to choose a team, so I said I support England, I'm neither for or against them.

The little bit that I do know had me looking at teams like Dundee FC, Dundee United, Hibernian, Raith Rovers, etc.   Maybe one of those should be my choice?   Maybe a totally different team?   I'm not sure what else to add here.  Feel free to ask me more questions to help me determine a club. 

Also, if you happen to be a Malcolm let me know.  :)  Thanks in advance for the help!   I look forward to hearing your opinions.

• The title was changed to Looking For A Scottish Club To Support
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Canadian5 said:

Hello all.

I'm a Canadian that's proud of his Scottish heritage.   My family moved to Canada in 1850 from Kingskettle, Fife, Scotland.   Visiting Scotland is on my bucket list and I hope do it more than once!   I would like to find one Scottish football club to support.   I'll give you some points to help determine who I should root for.   Please give me your opinions.

- My last name is Malcolm and I am a christian (maybe that makes a difference?   are some clubs supported more by catholic fans? in North America religion doesn't really make a difference as to who you cheer for)

- Our family came from Kingskettle, Fife. (geography should play somewhat into the choice)

- I do not necessarily have to cheer for one of the largest clubs like Celtic or Rangers.   I'm quite fine with a smaller, but decent club.   I'm not what we would call a "frontrunner".

- The club would have to play on real grass and preferably in a stadium which a rich history and atmosphere

- If it came down to two clubs that play in the same city, I'd prefer the club supported by the more blue collar type of fans.  *for example, I know Dundee has United and FC, but I don't really know the differences between them.

- Again where I said a club with blue collar fans is cool.    I'm from a rural area, so I don't have to cheer for a yuppy team.

- The team doesn't have to be currently in the Premiership, they can be playing in the Championship league.  

- On my profile I had to choose a team, so I said I support England, I'm neither for or against them.

The little bit that I do know had me looking at teams like Dundee FC, Dundee United, Hibernian, Raith Rovers, etc.   Maybe one of those should be my choice?   Maybe a totally different team?   I'm not sure what else to add here.  Feel free to ask me more questions to help me determine a club. 

Also, if you happen to be a Malcolm let me know.  :)  Thanks in advance for the help!   I look forward to hearing your opinions.

It has to be Raith Rovers, based on the geography and looking for a team within the top two divisions.

David Latto Performs Raith Rovers Fan Favourite Geordie Munro | A View From The Terrace - YouTube

_44368734_raithbayern203.jpg&ehk=l8tAHH2

Not many Scottish teams have led Bayern Munich...

9 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

"Hello. I really like the song 'yes sir, I can boogie' and was looking to join the hype around Scottish football"

Jokes on you there is no hype around Scottish football. It's shite as always. 

4 minutes ago, Cazza said:

So rude and uncoof... But Scottish soccer is just pure shite. You see I'm being, pragmatic.

Seems people are upset they lost Lyndon Dykes and got stuck with Martin Boyle... :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

If you've asking some from Aberdeen for some positivity about Dundee, you have much to learn ;)

lol   But I need unbiased opinions to help find the right club.

Speaking of Aberdeen, I learnt about Ketamine Kyle today.   So there's that.

7 minutes ago, Canadian5 said:

lol   But I need unbiased opinions to help find the right club.

Speaking of Aberdeen, I learnt about Ketamine Kyle today.   So there's that.

Dundee... Never a dull moment with them. Been a complete yoyo club for most of my life, and have never really overachieved in that time at all. Having Ravanelli and Caniggia lining up front for them within that time as well. Before the first of many financial crises. Their ground is odd, to put it best. With probably the worst main stand to watch a game from.

Dundee United have just emerged from the second tier, after spending far too much of the last decade there for a club of their size. Had a very decent team, until Celtic pulled it apart, losing most of their good players and being relegated soon after. Probably the dullest team to watch in the Premiership this season and if you like to have leg room whilst at the stadium, this won't be the club for you. 

10 minutes ago, Rab said:

Scottish football is so bad all the English fans have come in to talk about it.

By all means, please offer your opinion.   I think it should be a team out of the roughly Fife area.   So one of the Dundee teams, Raith, St. Johnstone, etc.   Base it on what I had to say though.

18 hours ago, Cazza said:

Not natural for Australians to watch soccer in our own country.... Cricket and football are the staple, I left Straya hating soccer but have got into it (possible prenuptial) here in England but it's so much better in England than there.

Based on that sentiment.....why do you support Luton? xD

19 hours ago, Canadian5 said:

By all means, please offer your opinion.   I think it should be a team out of the roughly Fife area.   So one of the Dundee teams, Raith, St. Johnstone, etc.   Base it on what I had to say though.

Hibs or Hearts may be a good shout for you. Both are based in Edinburgh which isn't a kick in the arse away from Fife. Both have a decent history. Hibs are currently in the Scottish Premiership, Hearts are in the Champuionship but will be promoted at the end of this season. Enjoy whichever team you opt for mate.

On 09/03/2021 at 06:40, Pugwash said:

Hibs or Hearts may be a good shout for you. Both are based in Edinburgh which isn't a kick in the arse away from Fife. Both have a decent history. Hibs are currently in the Scottish Premiership, Hearts are in the Champuionship but will be promoted at the end of this season. Enjoy whichever team you opt for mate.

Is Hibernian a Catholic club?   I know Celtic & Rangers were at least originally Catholic/Protestant clubs, right?    Is it like that for the smaller clubs as well?

31 minutes ago, Canadian5 said:

Is Hibernian a Catholic club?

There are no Catholic/Protestant clubs nowadays mate. Minority elements of certain clubs supporters may still think that way but the vast majority have certainly moved on.

33 minutes ago, Canadian5 said:

Is it like that for the smaller clubs as well?

To my knowledge, no!

On 08/03/2021 at 10:41, ScoRoss said:

Dundee... Never a dull moment with them. Been a complete yoyo club for most of my life, and have never really overachieved in that time at all. Having Ravanelli and Caniggia lining up front for them within that time as well. Before the first of many financial crises. Their ground is odd, to put it best. With probably the worst main stand to watch a game from.

Dundee United have just emerged from the second tier, after spending far too much of the last decade there for a club of their size. Had a very decent team, until Celtic pulled it apart, losing most of their good players and being relegated soon after. Probably the dullest team to watch in the Premiership this season and if you like to have leg room whilst at the stadium, this won't be the club for you. 

I love the old, cramped, smelly stadiums.    For the most part in North America, when a stadium/arena reaches 40 years old they rush to tear it down and replace it.   Sad.

20 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Used to go past Tynecastle every day on the bus for a year so I'll promote Hearts for no other reason than that!

It is the best stadium in Scotland.

Maybe not the biggest, but the fans are right on top of the players and helps generates a better atmosphere than anywhere else.

On 11/03/2021 at 13:04, ScoRoss said:

It is the best stadium in Scotland.

Maybe not the biggest, but the fans are right on top of the players and helps generates a better atmosphere than anywhere else.

It was better before it was redeveloped imo.

Archived