talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Juventus (4) 3-2aet (4) Porto - Tuesday 9th March, 2021 (2nd Leg)

6 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Real Madrid were poor during their 3peat, and they still won those 3 CL's. What's your point?

Real Madrid weren't poor when they won the Champions Leagues, that's just your bias opinion because you want to win the argument. You say everything that suits you. Juve are superb and elite according to you, but when did they last win the Champions League? Yet apparently Real Madrid were poor when they won 3 Champions Leagues, I'm sorry, but what a load of bollocks. Get a grip mate and stop with the stupid statements.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mpache said:

I'm not confused, I'm pissed that I was bloody dragged into this nonsense. I also don't believe in taking merit away from your rivals, unless they were truly poor. Monaco in 2015 are a good example. Arsenal dropped the ball in losing to them that year, but Lyon and Ajax weren't exactly mugs and had statistics in their favour.

Lyon and Ajax weren't mugs, I agree, but they are still not elite sides.

Just now, Michael said:

Real Madrid weren't poor when they won the Champions Leagues, that's just your bias opinion because you want to win the argument. You say everything that suits you. Juve are superb and elite according to you, but when did they last win the Champions League? Yet apparently Real Madrid were poor when they won the Champions League, I'm sorry, but what a load of bollocks. Get a grip mate and stop with the stupid statements.

Look at the threads on Real Madrid back in 2017 and 2018. Most of us were in agreement that they were poor. They were a good side, but they weren't 3peat material in my opinion. There has been far better champions. Bayern last year, in 2013 and all those Barca sides that won with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. They were solid at the back but really relied on Ronaldo's big moments when going forward. They were efficient, but not even close to the best champions I've seen.

Just now, Mpache said:

Look at the threads on Real Madrid back in 2017 and 2018. Most of us were in agreement that they were poor. They were a good side, but they weren't 3peat material in my opinion. There has been far better champions. Bayern last year, in 2013 and all those Barca sides that won with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. They were solid at the back but really relied on Ronaldo's big moments when going forward. They were efficient, but not even close to the best champions I've seen.

Yes, you can say that Bayern in 2013 and the Barca side when they were at their best were perhaps arguably better, but Real Madrid were hardly poor. It takes a lot to win the Champions League and kudos to them, even if they had some luck on their side at times.

Just now, Michael said:

Yes, you can say that Bayern in 2013 and the Barca side when they were at their best were perhaps arguably better, but Real Madrid were hardly poor. It takes a lot to win the Champions League and kudos to them, even if they had some luck on their side at times.

To me that Real Madrid side relied on a lot more luck than Barca and Bayern did. They won 3 in a row for a reason, but I firmly believe the standard of the top teams was quite poor that season. Not to take away from their achievement, but I won't remember them as this godly side that newborn kids will think when they see they had a 3peat.

4 minutes ago, Mpache said:

To me that Real Madrid side relied on a lot more luck than Barca and Bayern did. They won 3 in a row for a reason, but I firmly believe the standard of the top teams was quite poor that season. Not to take away from their achievement, but I won't remember them as this godly side that newborn kids will think when they see they had a 3peat.

Well it's your opinion and it's also my opinion for example that Bayern should have knocked them out in one of those semi-finals, had there been VAR back then. If there had been I believe Bayern would have been in the final. Anyway, again, it didn't happen and it wasn't Real's fault that the referee helped them out. Either way, you have to be a very strong side to win the Champions League in my opinion and I would never call a team that wins it poor. 

Just now, Michael said:

Well it's your opinion and it's also my opinion for example that Bayern should have knocked them out in one of those semi-finals, had there been VAR back then, then I believe Bayern would have been in the final. Anyway, again, it didn't happen and it wasn't Real's fault that the referee helped them out. Either way, you have to be a very strong side to win the Champions League in my opinion and I would never call a team that wins it poor. 

That's not always true though. 3 in a row perhaps, but Chelsea in 2012 proved the best doesn't always win.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

That's not always true though. 3 in a row perhaps, but Chelsea in 2012 proved the best doesn't always win.

Yes, the best team doesn't necessarily always win, but to just reach the final is a hell of an achievement, let alone winning it. Even if Chelsea weren't as good as Bayern that season, they still had to be very good to beat them and to be in the final in the first place, even if it was on penalties.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I’d say every league is a farmers league atm. It’s such a poor standard of football. There’s Bayern, huge gap, then City. And that’s it. 

The sad part is our backline has been leaking goals all season long, super fragile. BUT our midfield and forwards can probably outscore most of our issues, will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end.

Seems like BT Sport were watching a different game to me last night. They've been falling over themselves praising Pepe... After Porto give up three goals (which the last one had Pepe los his man, then cowered underneath the goal bound header) and countless other opportunities.

Has the standard of defending in football become so bad, that this performance is one of the best?

3 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Seems like BT Sport were watching a different game to me last night. They've been falling over themselves praising Pepe... After Porto give up three goals (which the last one had Pepe los his man, then cowered underneath the goal bound header) and countless other opportunities.

Has the standard of defending in football become so bad, that this performance is one of the best?

my opinion on the subject is that pepe did far more good than harm, against a superior team playing with a man advantage for those goals. He was always the guy clearing the ball, making the tackle or organizing the defense. He singlehandedly saved Portos ass on multiple occasions.  

He played a perfect game by no means but without him they lose that game. 

Edit, good than harm sorry. 

Ronaldo must be pissed, the main reason he went to Juve was to win the Champions League again and they've not come close. Also he'd of wanted more league titles after consistently losing out to Barce but now Juve are 10 points off of Inter Milan after winning 9 titles in a row

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Ronaldo must be pissed, the main reason he went to Juve was to win the Champions League again and they've not come close. Also he'd of wanted more league titles after consistently losing out to Barce but now Juve are 10 points off of Inter Milan after winning 9 titles in a row

Ronaldo and his agent:

3cgbtp.jpg

40 minutes ago, Danny said:

At least it was a marketing success for Juve though, they fully amortised the fee in just over a year, and beyond that increased revenue and share prices to record highs; Athletic Interest made quite an insightful piece on it looking at their financial statements.

3 minutes ago, DNA said:

At least it was a marketing success for Juve though, they fully amortised the fee in just over a year, and beyond that increased revenue and share prices to record highs; Athletic Interest made quite an insightful piece on it looking at their financial statements.

And they've managed to regress with all that money

13 hours ago, Machado said:

Let's be honest, Pirlo is probably the worst manager in the Serie A. What having a name can do for you...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!111 Not the Pirlorinho! Look how he's sitting here drinking vinorinho:

ddWs19T.png

So classy! His IQ must be 900 or something!

t. @Lucas

• Subscriber

There's a poetic justice about the whole thing. Gone for the marketing approach and have regressed on the pitch as a result. I hate clubs who put the marketing before the success. Shows the true motive and it's not like being successful is bad for the marketing side anyway.

Last night should finally put an end to this ridiculous phase of Messi getting the blame every time Barcelona lose in Europe too as it's normally Ronaldo fanboys spouting it. That's three years in a row they've gone out to underdogs.

Interesting point about Pepe made earlier - but I don't think it's all that simple, you can still be a defender and have a good performance even if your team concedes, he was the pick of their defence at 38 years old which felt really impressive to me.

7 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

I might have been watching a different game too. Just a few of his 18 clearances in that clip. Average is around 5 per game. If you're doing 18 clearances, you're pretty much doing all the defending by yourself. Porto would be out in the first half without Pepe.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived