The better place to talk football.

2020/21 Premier League - Race For Europe

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

United

Chelsea  

Spurs

Bale's sudden burst of form has lifted Son and Kane and with those three I think they will snatch the final spot. Hoping the win yesterday sparks life into United and guides us to a safe passage to top four. 

• Administrator

FFS. I started a thread like this last week then thought 'nah there's too many games to go' xD 

I did all this the other day xD. Got up to Everton's games then thought 'too many games, let's leave it for a couple of weeks'!

After today's early results, there's only 4 points between 4th and 8th...

Man City obviously have the title in the bag.

I'm genuinely worried we might miss out on 4th despite the current lead over 4th & below. Liverpool slowly getting back in to form after their little wobble. Chelsea look a different (albeit tame) beast under Tuchel.

Everton crept up and have a game in hand. West Ham don't seem to be able to be shaken off. Can even see Spurs catching us up with how the fixtures pan out towards the end of the season. 

Villa & Arsenal probably not a threat now but a run of form for either might see them cause a threat later...

We play Chelsea Man Utd & Spurs as our final 3 games.

Remaining games (bold are games against other in the running)

Man Utd
Man City (A), West Ham (H), Brighton (H), Spurs (A), Burnley (H), Leeds (A), Liverpool (A), Villa (A), Leicester (H), Fulham (H), Wolves (A)

Leicester
Brighton (A), Sheff Utd H), Man City (H), West Ham (A), West Brom (H), Crystal Palace (H), Southampton (A), Newcastle (H), Man Utd (A), Chelsea (A), Spurs (H)

Everton
Chelsea (A), Burnley (H), Crystal Palace (H), Brighton (A), Tottenham (H), Arsenal (A), Villa (H), West Ham (A), Sheff Utd (H), Wolves (H), Man City (A)

• The title was changed to 2020/21 Premier League - Race For Europe

No chance for us barring one hell of a run, which we look a million miles from doing. 

City

Chelsea

Utd

Spurs (if the Bale/Kane partnership continues) 

Leicester

Everton

West Ham

Liverpool

14 minutes ago, Rick said:

No chance for us barring one hell of a run, which we look a million miles from doing. 

City

Chelsea

Utd

Spurs (if the Bale/Kane partnership continues) 

Leicester

Everton

West Ham

Liverpool

Do we miss out on that UEFA Conference thing if we finish 8th? Be arsed with that or the Europa League.

18 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Do we miss out on that UEFA Conference thing if we finish 8th? Be arsed with that or the Europa League.

No idea, but I feel the same. Would rather us miss out on Europe altogether than play Europa League. 

Not sure if any of you are aware of the term, but in Australia we have this thing in the AFL called tanking.
Basically, only the top 8 AFL teams play post season finals games. 
And there is a draft system every year with the shittest clubs getting the best picks. 

Therefore, once a club can't make the 8, they'll start rotating the squad, trying out youngsters, key players will constantly have "niggles" keeping them out of games, all so they get the best picks possible for next season. 
Now, top 4 make Champions league. 5-6-7 make Europa league. 
The question I pose is, should Liverpool just tactically make sure they finish 8th, so they can say fuck the Europa league, lets win the league next season because we have way less travel, way less games and one of the best 3 squads in the league? 

54 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The question I pose is, should Liverpool just tactically make sure they finish 8th, so they can say fuck the Europa league, lets win the league next season because we have way less travel, way less games and one of the best 3 squads in the league? 

I think so. Especially with the Euro's, Copa America (I think) and AFCON taking place this summer

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

They might finish 8th and qualify for the amateur version of the Europa League. 

And there's no guarantee they win the league next season while their finances take a hit from being out of any European competition...

36 minutes ago, Stan said:

And there's no guarantee they win the league next season while their finances take a hit from being out of any European competition...

We would want to avoid a similar situation to this season, and not being in the Europa League would be a big help towards that. Too many tournaments this summer, barely and rest and pre-season for the players. I would happily rather finish 8th than 5/6 this season if it means avoiding that fucking pain in the arse tournament. 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You make a fucking pittance from the Europa league. 
For a team in ANY other league in the world, it's a big deal. Unless you're Real, PSG or whatnot. A short Europa league run can net you an extra 10 million Euros or so. 

But for the bloated, corrupt fucking prem, with its 100 million pound TV deal, plus sponsorships, plus gates ect. You don't fucking care, don't pretend that you do xD

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You make a fucking pittance from the Europa league. 
For a team in ANY other league in the world, it's a big deal. Unless you're Real, PSG or whatnot. A short Europa league run can net you an extra 10 million Euros or so. 

But for the bloated, corrupt fucking prem, with its 100 million pound TV deal, plus sponsorships, plus gates ect. You don't fucking care, don't pretend that you do xD

Are you saying I don't care about being in Europa League?

• The title was changed to 2020/21 Premier League - Race For Europe
  • Administrator

Current standings:
image.png

Top 4 gets CL

5th gets Europa League
6th gets Europa League if FA Cup is won by a team already qualified via league position 

7th gets Europa Conference League Cup is won by a team already qualified for CL/EL via league position

image.png

(Tottenham have a game in hand - date still TBC)

GW 31 is where 6 of the teams in contention play each other.

Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Newcastle & West Brom might have a big part to play - they both play six of the teams in the remaining 10 games. Brighton play five, Man City & Fulham play four...

Chelsea look to have a very favourable run of fixtures. As do Liverpool but then none of their fans have any confidence right now, let alone the side...

Everton & West Ham the only other team alongside Liverpool to not face any of the 'rival' teams in their final 3 (although Everton to do play Man City).

4 hours ago, Stan said:

I think it’s good to be in the Europa League because players like playing in Europe and if you aren’t in the CL, that’s the next best thing you can offer to players that want to be playing in Europe.

But in terms of the monetary impact, unless you go on a run taking you to the semi or more... it’s not that much of a moneymaker for clubs in the premier league.

For me, personally, if we aren’t making the CL... I’d prefer not to be in the Europa League. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching it after the group stages... but with all the issues we’ve had this season... if we’re not going to make the CL, I’d want the season where Virgil, Gomez and our best midfielders back in midfield.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it’s good to be in the Europa League because players like playing in Europe and if you aren’t in the CL, that’s the next best thing you can offer to players that want to be playing in Europe.

But in terms of the monetary impact, unless you go on a run taking you to the semi or more... it’s not that much of a moneymaker for clubs in the premier league.

For me, personally, if we aren’t making the CL... I’d prefer not to be in the Europa League. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching it after the group stages... but with all the issues we’ve had this season... if we’re not going to make the CL, I’d want the season where Virgil, Gomez and our best midfielders back in midfield.

That's fair enough for a club of your stature. I don't know if what I was saying earlier was misconstrued, but some clubs do value the Europa League. I totally get it's nothing compared to the CL and you get an absolute pittance in comparison. But I'm not having it levelled at me to say it was only pretend to care about the Europa League. Considering Leicester don't usually get in to Europe it was amazing to be back in to a European competition after the CL run a few years back. Can't speak for other fans but financially rewarding or not, a club like us can't turn our noses up at the Europa League and sabotage our own season to not qualify for it. We might not get European football again for ages (after next season) so I'm not taking it for granted for one bit, even if we couldn't attend any of the games this season which is shit in itself.

That's fair enough for a club of your stature. I don't know if what I was saying earlier was misconstrued, but some clubs do value the Europa League. I totally get it's nothing compared to the CL and you get an absolute pittance in comparison. But I'm not having it levelled at me to say it was only pretend to care about the Europa League. Considering Leicester don't usually get in to Europe it was amazing to be back in to a European competition after the CL run a few years back. Can't speak for other fans but financially rewarding or not, a club like us can't turn our noses up at the Europa League and sabotage our own season to not qualify for it. We might not get European football again for ages (after next season) so I'm not taking it for granted for one bit, even if we couldn't attend any of the games this season which is shit in itself.

I think Leicester are likely to keep getting at least Europa League football for the next few seasons - I think you've got enough quality to always challenge for top 5 at least.

But even so, I understand that if you've not played in Europe a lot... you're going to be valuing that competition because... it's playing in Europe and you haven't done that very much xD. Imo the tournament is a bit of a drag in the group stages... but for the past few years, I've really enjoyed it once the season get to the knockouts.

And tbh, Rodgers has such an awful record in Europe, he especially should not be turning his nose up at doing well in the Europa League. It's a good competition to understand what it takes to progress in two legged European cup ties for younger managers, imo.

Even for a club of a "higher stature" - I do think there's some value in the Europa League. I'm just not sure that value outweighs the fixture congestion for a club in our particular circumstances where we've seen our defense and midfield that the last few seasons were built off sort of crumble away.

And tbh, with Leicester's injuries this season... I could see the same situation being appealing to some. But I think your manager and players need more experience in Europe to do better in Europe - whether that's CL or EL. So if I were in your shoes, I'd want us to be in either European tournament.

Realistically though, I can't see Leicester not finishing in the CL spots though. Unless your own injury crisis gets much worse or if Rodgers decides to go mental with the tactics. So I think you'll be playing in Europe in the most ideal way possible. 

Archived