talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2020/21 Premier League - Race For Europe

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Another round of games passes and some teams find themselves back in contention for Europe (albeit slim hopes) while others went a step further to guaranteeing a European spot. Leicester built ground on 5th, Chelsea did the same with their win over West Ham; Everton back in contention with a win over Arsenal; Liverpool missed the chance to go in to 4th by drawing with Newcastle. Could Leeds or Arsenal do enough to put pressure, or even better overtake, Spurs in to 7th?!

image.png

Next fixtures

Southampton vs Leicester
Brighton vs Leeds
Chelsea vs Fulham
Everton vs Aston Villa
Newcastle vs Arsenal
Man Utd vs Liverpool
Tottenham vs Sheff Utd
Burnley vs West Ham

The sheer amount of teams involved goes to show it's been a crazy unpredictable season. I wonder what twists and turns may still occur in the final 4 weeks of the season...

• Administrator

For the CL spots, Leicester and Liverpool were the biggest losers in the weekend matches - the former dropping points and the latter's game being postponed. Points on the board or games in hand? I know which I'd prefer...

It was success for all of the London clubs - West Ham, Chelsea, Tottenham & Arsenal all picked up 3 points. For Arsenal though, all eyes on winning the EL as this is their 'easier' path to European football...

Leeds' loss to Brighton probably puts them out of the equation for European football next season but it's still been a great season on their return to the Premier League.

Everton missed the chance to capitalise on at least Liverpool not playing and go ahead of them with their loss at home to Villa. Like most sides this season, home form has been the sticking point.

image.png

Next fixtures:

Leicester vs Newcastle
Man City vs Chelsea
West Ham vs Everton
Leeds vs Tottenham
Liverpool vs Southampton
Arsenal vs West Brom

My head is saying Utd, Leicester and Chelsea, but my heart wants to see West Ham make the CL in place of Chelsea. don't know why maybe sentimentality with Moyes proving that united didn't give him time. Plus if there is a club that listen to the fans west ham seem to be that team in London. either way west ham i think will secure European football next season and deservedly so.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

You think you won't get any European football for next season?

The way we are playing I wouldn’t bet against us dropping out. West Ham are doing better and I can see Spurs doing better in the last few games. 

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Rick said:

The way we are playing I wouldn’t bet against us dropping out. West Ham are doing better and I can see Spurs doing better in the last few games. 

Fair enough.

Probably better off out of the Europa Conference anyway. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Manc Red said:

My head is saying Utd, Leicester and Chelsea, but my heart wants to see West Ham make the CL in place of Chelsea. don't know why maybe sentimentality with Moyes proving that united didn't give him time. Plus if there is a club that listen to the fans west ham seem to be that team in London. either way west ham i think will secure European football next season and deservedly so.

Are you joking? What a horrendous take 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Don’t most West Ham fans hate Karen Brady and the dildo brothers?

Yes - despise them. Just have to look at their  soulless bowl stadium they play in to see they don’t listen to the fans at all 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

And once again the race for European places takes another twist!

Liverpool left it late to secure the win against West Brom; Alisson of all people getting the winner.
Everton fell at the home hurdle again; Spurs and Leeds win with ease to capitalise on Arsenal not playing; West Ham dropped points and seem to have run out of steam, having dropped all the way to 7th after the weekend...

image.png

Several different scenarios to figure out for all places but the games coming up in the next 48 hours could be quite telling. 

Next games

Chelsea vs Leicester
Burnley vs Liverpool
Tottenham vs Aston Villa
West Brom vs West Ham
Everton vs Wolves
Crystal Palace vs Arsenal
Southampton vs Leeds

There's no bad result for us in Chelsea v Leicester as long as we win our two games but I think a Leicester win is probably preferred as it still gives us a chance to sneak ahead of Chelsea on GD should we draw one of our last two

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

There's no bad result for us in Chelsea v Leicester as long as we win our two games but I think a Leicester win is probably preferred as it still gives us a chance to sneak ahead of Chelsea on GD should we draw one of our last two

Yeah this is my thinking. Hoping for Leicester to beat them and then it give us a little bit of breathing space, especially against fucking Burnley. 

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Very unlikely. They need Liverpool and Chelsea to fail to win their last two games

If your keeper can score........

Still a chance this comes down to head to head record between Liverpool and Leicester. Unlikely but entirely possible given how similar the goal difference and goals scored of the two sides is

5 hours ago, 6666 said:

What do Arsenal need to do to avoid the UEFA Conference League? Have we achieved avoidance?

7th is the UEFA Conference I think. So if Spurs or Everton win their final game they will get it. If they both fail to win and Arsenal do win then Arsenal are in

Archived