talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Derek McInnes Leaves Aberdeen

football forum

8 years. Over a quarter of my life he had been manager and the most stable the club has probably been in that time. Probably has been a couple of years since he really had the club where it should be right now, but has given the fans some fantastic times during his tenure. Competing at the top of Scottish football and some fantastic games in Europe, but kept hitting the glass ceiling and not able to reach the Europa League group stages.

Will regret the opportunities to add to the singular League Cup that was won early on, with the Scottish Cup that season being the main one. However, a year earlier and Aberdeen had just finished 9th in successive seasons. And if only Danny Ward hadn't been recalled by Liverpool... Ronny Delia's Celtic could had been beaten.

The club is in a much better position now, financially, with a new training ground, a potential new stadium, and much healthier reputation. He'd reached the end of his time at the club but leaves it in a healthier place to find a manager to take it further.

Dave Cormack has a huge task to find a replacement, and possibly a restructing of how the club operates. It'll be his first appointment since taking over the club, and will have to balance the financial hit of the last twelve months with trying to renew the interest of the fans (and their wallets).

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Rab said:

This makes Gerrard the current longest reigning manager. Wild.

It's been an odd time in Scottish football. Eight of the twelve Premiership teams have changed manager since the end of last season. Although half of them (Tommy Wright at St Johnstone, Stephen Robinson at Motherwell, Gary Holt at Livingston and Robbie Neilson at Dundee United) were managers leaving the clubs on their own terms. 

Think, with the current situation, there have been a lot of managers who have identified that they've perhaps been at their clubs a while, perhaps gone a bit stale and with the financial problems and future uncertainty looked at it as if now was a good time to step away and move on to different opportunities.

29 minutes ago, Pugwash said:

So that makes Neil Lennon and Derek McInnes free agents now. I wonder how the managerial roundabout will pan out. Could be interesting.

Neil Lennon would be very lucky to get a job above Championship level right now. The way his tenure has ended at Celtic and Hibs (resigning when they were 8th) before, it's been a while since he has got more from a team than someone else could have.

McInnes will probably be seen again in England. Unless a Hibs / Hearts job becomes available, I can't see him stepping back to a team with a fraction of the budget he had been working with.

12 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Neil Lennon would be very lucky to get a job above Championship level right now.

I wouldn't disagree with that but when you say 'Championship' level are you talking England or indeed Scotland  xD

14 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

McInnes will probably be seen again in England. Unless a Hibs / Hearts job becomes available

Can't see a vacancy at either Hibs or Hearts in the near future tbh.

2 minutes ago, Pugwash said:

I wouldn't disagree with that but when you say 'Championship' level are you talking England or indeed Scotland  xD

Can't see a vacancy at either Hibs or Hearts in the near future tbh.

Scotland (Another farcical branding decision by Neil Doncaster there...)

At the very least, Lennon needs some time out of football. At least do the typical 'visit some top clubs and see how they operate' tour that out of work manager's do. Pretty sure he flamed out in his time in England as well, although it was Bolton and that seems to have been a circus for about a decade.

McInnes could probably do with a break as well. He was overseeing a lot at Aberdeen, a legacy of Stewart Milne's time as chairman where he trusted McInnes probably better than anyone else. He was probably the most relatively powerful manager at any Scottish club, with involvement throughout. That's why I can see it taking several appointments to replace his role at the club.

12 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Scotland (Another farcical branding decision by Neil Doncaster there...)

At the very least, Lennon needs some time out of football. At least do the typical 'visit some top clubs and see how they operate' tour that out of work manager's do. Pretty sure he flamed out in his time in England as well, although it was Bolton and that seems to have been a circus for about a decade.

McInnes could probably do with a break as well. He was overseeing a lot at Aberdeen, a legacy of Stewart Milne's time as chairman where he trusted McInnes probably better than anyone else. He was probably the most relatively powerful manager at any Scottish club, with involvement throughout. That's why I can see it taking several appointments to replace his role at the club.

Time will tell. It's certainly going to be interesting on both counts.

Btw, McInnes to England, Championship or perhaps League 1 ?

• 2 weeks later...

Very unconvinced. Unless there is going to be an experienced Director of Football coming in as well, there's not an awful lot of experience there. Allan Russell, current England coach, was also rumoured to be part of Glass' proposed backroom staff but hasn't been reported recently. Scott Brown would be a very unpopular addition as well, for his handling of the racist abuse of Shay Logan by Brown's then teammate, Aleksandar Tonev. 

I can't but feel there must have been some more experienced people that could be brought in alongside Glass, even on a short term basis. There is a lot of turnover going to be happening at the club in the very near future and not a lot of experience of bringing in players now left at the club.

I just sincerely hope this isn't a reactionary move to the weekends game, which was awful, and thinking they needed to bring someone in quickly.

What kind of experience has glass had. I haven't heard his name for years? 

22 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Scott Brown would be a very unpopular addition as well

I was going to ask your opinion on that, but you've answered it.

Archived