talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Beer

Depends on your taste really, if you like your beer to have a stronger hop-tasting, Pilsner from parts of south-western Germany, namely Rhineland-Palatinat and Saarland is to be recommended. If beer equals lager to you, any Pilsner will do. If you like your beer darker and a bit more malty Altbier can be recommanded. On hot summer days a wheat beer is quite refreshing, although a bit filling if a drink more than 6. When you're into stronger beers Doppelbock is the one to choose, albeit it's to sweet for my liking.There are about 100 of other varying regional beer sorts, from all parts of German beers to be explored, which can make an enjoyable experience. Just avoid Kölsch, where they use too little hops with the result that it tastes like the water you use to wash the brew kettle after brewing and in my opinion Rauchbier.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

• Subscriber

I'll just post my personal favourites...

Pils: König Pilsener, Rothaus Tannenzäpfle
Helles: Tegernseer, Augustiner Edelstoff, Weihenstephaner Helles
Schwarzbier/Dunkel: Köstritzer, Weihenstephaner Dunkel, König Ludwig Dunkel
Weizen: Weihenstephaner, Schneider Weisse, Franziskaner, Ayinger, Maisel's Weisse
Other: Grevensteiner Landbier

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

König Pilsener is all you need.

:x

5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

although a bit filling if a drink more than 6

Ich mag, wie du denkst... :4_joy:

7 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Rauchbier

Schlenkerla Rauchbier! The first time I drank it, I thought I was drinking a smoked ham sandwich xD 

• Subscriber

Not a beer drinker myself and prefer lager and only in a pub, can't remember when I had a lager in this flat and if I did it would only be in bottles and not cans, favourites lagers in the pub/club would be

• Tennants
  • Carling Black Label
  • Carlsberg
  • Fosters
  • Stella Artois
  • Heineken

Edit: Sorry, just seen the title of the thread German beer.

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Subscriber
Just now, CaaC (John) said:

Not a beer drinker myself and prefer lager and only in a pub, can't remember when I had a lager in this flat and if I did it would only be in bottles and not cans, favourites lagers in the pub/club would be

• Tennants
  • Carling Black Label
  • Carlsberg
  • Fosters
  • Stella Artois
  • Heineken

Which of those is German beer, John?... :P 

I have an international market not far from where I live (outside Cincinnati) and they specialize in worldly beers.  I recognize the Ayinger and Weihenstephaner brands.  I first had the Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen when visiting Epcot at the German pavilion and found it very refreshing.

Cincinnati has a huge craft beer scene (although who doesn't now?) and a history steeped in German beer.  One of the older brands still brewed here is called Hudepohl.  The "Over-the-Rhine" area of Cincinnati has a lot of breweries/pubs in the area and is coincidentally where they built the new stadium for the MLS team.  One of my favorite local brands is Rhinegeist.

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

• Tennants
  • Carling Black Label
  • Carlsberg
  • Fosters
  • Stella Artois
  • Heineken

Big fan of Stella.  That's my go-to when I've had enough of the craft stuff.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

BLASPHEMY. Nectar of the gods. Yes I turn religious when talking about my beer.

My mother would always tell me to drink Guinness as it was good for you so I tried it once and that was it, never again but everybody's choice is different than others, overall I prefer wine than anything else and have bottles of it in the chiller...come to think of it this thread as made me alcoholic thirsty so I might have some shortly :hh: xD

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

On a side note do none of you German's like Kölsch? A local brewery here has been making one for a number of years I do enjoy it in the summer, easy drinker and refreshing. Not the sort of thing I would drink more then a couple of but neither are alot of my favourite beers for that matter. Volume drinking is a different story.

32 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

The only popular drink in my army days in Germany in the camp NAAFI was bottles of Carlsberg and we called them Charlies. 

When've been to Germany? Asking because if it was before 95, the beer you drank was most likely Karlsberg from Germany instead of Carlsberg from Denmark.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

When've been to Germany? Asking because if it was before 95, the beer you dramnk was most likely Karlsberg from Germany instead of Carlsberg from Denmark.

Stationed in Dortmund buddy but would travel to Hamer when I was courting my now wife and all over the place really in German boozers in the early '70s before I got married.