talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Beer

If you're into darker beers with character, the Düsseldorf home breweries are delicious. 

Those are my favs:

Uerige-Alt.png

schluessel_alt.jpg

2d0b7605-7ac5-4f93-a4a5-d3b3856d7465.jpg

70654dcc-25cf-44a6-a737-1e94c976bfa1.jpg

If you like piss, you can always choose Kölsch. Don't drink it in or around Düsseldorf though, or you will be taken behind a barn 

Not much of a Pils drinker these days, but I think Bitburger is the best in that department. Königs Pilsener is very average IMO. 

• Upvote 1

könig ludwig is another decent weizen

weihenstephaner hefeweizen vitus will get you very drunk, if i recall correctly their doppelbock is good as well

früh or reissdorf kölsch if you want something lighter

25 minutes ago, Tommy said:

If you're into darker beers with character, the Düsseldorf home breweries are delicious. 

Those are my favs:

If you like piss, you can always choose Kölsch. Don't drink it in or around Düsseldorf though, or you will be taken behind a barn 

Not much of a Pils drinker these days, but I think Bitburger is the best in that department. Königs Pilsener is very average IMO. 

doubt you are finding those outside of düsseldorf

Just now, Spike said:

yeah duh, hang a right of main and kaiser street

Haha, close. It's Hammer Straße actually. Shameful really. Probably some young hipster from out of town who opened it up. 

They don't care about traditions as they used to. 

https://exportabel.wordpress.com/2001/02/28/koelner-verprugelt-weil-er-koelsch-wollte/

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Haha, close. It's Hammer Straße actually. Shameful really. Probably some young hipster from out of town who opened it up. 

They don't care about traditions as they used to. 

https://exportabel.wordpress.com/2001/02/28/koelner-verprugelt-weil-er-koelsch-wollte/

given the umbrellas i guarantee    you they are sponsored by that brewery

39 minutes ago, Spike said:

given the umbrellas i guarantee    you they are sponsored by that brewery

Yea, you get the Umbrellas with the contract you make with breweries who provide you with beer. What a shame. But it's in a very hipster-ish region near the media harbour. So not that surprising. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, you get the Umbrellas with the contract you make with breweries who provide you with beer. What a shame. But it's in a very hipster-ish region near the media harbour. So not that surprising. 

I hate to tell you that a traditional beer from another city isn't very hipster. If they were umbrellas for passion fruit spiced coffee stouts, I'd pay that

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

I hate to tell you that a traditional beer from another city isn't very hipster. If they were umbrellas for passion fruit spiced coffee stouts, I'd pay that

Well, Cologne is not exactly just another city for Düsseldorf. There's a big rivalry going on. xD

Just now, Tommy said:

Well, Cologne is not exactly just another city for Düsseldorf. There's a big rivalry going on. xD

rivalries are superficial mostly. qld and nsw are rivals but that doesn’t mean i sit at the pub and seethe when i see toohey’s new on tap next to castlemaine gold

Just now, Spike said:

rivalries are superficial mostly. qld and nsw are rivals but that doesn’t mean i sit at the pub and seethe when i see toohey’s new on tap next to castlemaine gold

People have been beaten up by ordering Kölsch in Düsseldorf and vice versa. But yea, mostly it's playful fun. Still, fuck Köln though. 

Just now, Tommy said:

People have been beaten up by ordering Kölsch in Düsseldorf and vice versa. But yea, mostly it's playful fun. Still, fuck Köln though. 

thats stupid, people are stupid. ‘he drink different beer to grug, grug hate them’

also liable to happen in australia as well, we are very good at punching people in the back of the head

1 minute ago, Coma said:

Not sure I'll find any of those brands out my way.  I might have to settle for an altbier style made here.

One of the bigger selling brands in the States is Warsteiner.  Any opinions on that?  I found it OK, nothing special.

Warsteiner tastes weird to me. If offered a Pils, it would not be among my first choices. :52_fearful:

5 minutes ago, Coma said:

Ha, I actually found one that I have tried.  Alaskan Amber is an altbier style.

Amber | Alaskan Brewing Co.

Colour looks good. 5.3% alcohol sounds a bit too much for an Alt though. :35_thinking:

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Amber | Alaskan Brewing Co.

Colour looks good. 5.3% alcohol sounds a bit too much for an Alt though. :35_thinking:

That's part the craft beer craze here though.  Finding ways to up the alcohol content while maintaining the flavor balance.  My interest starts dropping off when brewers are cranking out imperial IPA's that are 8-9% ABV.  5-7% is my comfort zone for most beers.  If I need any more than that then I'll just grab some tequila.

I recall this Amber being pleasant enough.  I think I had it in a local pizza pub when I asked them to recommend a "brown ale".  

• Upvote 1